PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy gone wrong, hands up for review

phixxx
01-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, I just got back from the second rebuy tournament I've ever played live. It was decent, held in the back room of a bar in a university. About 100 players, the buyin was 25 and there were 20 dollar rebuy's and one 20 dollar add on at the end of 1.5 hours. The worst thing about this tournament was the structure, and the fact that we had to rotate dealers. I was dealt a total of 3 playable hands until the blinds hit 100/200, at which point it became a crapshoot (I suppose the entire tournament was a crapshoot though). The players at my table were HORRIBLE, and it was dissapointing that I really couldn't get anything going..the prizepool ended paying 8 spots and 1500 for first place. For some reason you started with one white 500 chip, 4 black 100 chips and 4 green 25 chips. At least they were paulsons..

Here are the only three hands that I played, and although I feel I play pretty well in tournaments they're definitely NOT my specialty. I'm mostly a limit ring game player, and could really use some input on the hands I played here.

Hand 1:

I pick up AQs on the button, I have about 1400. Blinds are 75/150. Two limpers, I move in and everyone folds. The reason I moved in here is because we had a player at my table who had rebought about 6 times already, and was calling EVERYTHING. He decided to fold this time. Was this too strong? There is a huge stack to my right that has also been playing agressively. He was one of the limpers.

Hand 2: I pick up TT in middle position about one orbit later, and am down to about 1000. Same blinds. One limper and once again I push, having less than 10x. Folded around again.

Hand 3: I pick up KQo in UTG+1 (7 handed table). I raise it to 300 with the blinds at 100/200. I have about 2000. Called by the big stack in the BB. Flop J 8 4. He moves in I fold.

Other than that, nothing more to note. With 1500 left and the blidns about to go up I tried to steal the BB from the SB and ran into KQ with my 95s. That was it for me. It was really really frustrating, because the table that I was at was horrendous and I couldn't pick up anything due to the slow speed.

Thanks for the replies in advance, and any tips regarding a structure like this would be greatly appreciated. I felt it was kind of a crapshoot, and there was virtually NO post flop play. Kind of crappy /images/graemlins/frown.gif

P.S. the tournament was run by Check`N`raise poker, who are now offering a 100% reload up to 500 dollars. Check it out..

phixxx
01-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Also the player that rebought 400 times was the funniest man ever. He kept on talking about his 20/40 game that he was playing, and how he just won 600 last night in online poker. He actually chastised a player for opening 3xBB in MP, because that was way too strong of a raise and it gave his hand away. He then yelled at a guy for calling getting 6:1 on the flop with A2 on a board of A K 6. The PROFESSIONAL moved in with A5 and they chopped. It had to be explained to him why it was a chop. Bad, bad players. So dissapointing. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif