PDA

View Full Version : Tourney Strategy For CrapShoot Structure

TryingHard
01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I think we need to discuss, Online Tournaments with a Crap Shoot Structure, by crap shoot I of course mean you start with low chips and high blinds quickly increasing.

The tourney structure I'm Personally finding hard to beat is the $30 + $3, $20k Guaranteed Tournament on Pacific Poker. Starting with $800 in chips Blinds at $15-$30 increasing every 10 mins.

Here's the structure - No Limit Hold'em

Round Blinds
1 $15/$30
2 $20/$40
3 $30/$60
4 $50/$100 - Just 40 mins into tourney
5 $100/$200
6 $150/$300
7 $200/$400 - 70 mins into the tourney
8 $300/$600
9 $400/$800 - 1 hour 30 mins.Blinds bigger than original starting chips
10 $500/$1000
and they keep on increasing...

40 mins into the tourney i've not had one playable hand, plus the fact this site is very loose and very aggressive, players are moving allin nearly every hand and getting called in 1 or 2 spots..My stack is now at $600 with blinds of $50-$100 and average stack of $1400. I'm in the Big Blind with AQoff and $500 chips left infront of me, 4 limpers I put my whole stack in and get called by 2 of the limpers, board doesnt help and a guy with k7off takes the pot.

Just wondered if anyone had a good game plan for this kind of tourney..

Thanks for your time.

TryingHard
01-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Take it noone liked my question /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nate1729
01-25-2005, 08:07 PM
With players like that, you're playing with good expectation. All that high blinds means is that your variance goes up, and you have to push your good hands. Overbet the pot with a quality hand if your bets are getting called no matter what. Over time your superior skill will get the money, though there's no guarantee there won't be plenty of short-term frustration.

Good luck.

Russ McGinley
02-26-2005, 04:13 PM
http://trephination.net/gallery/macros/bump.jpg

There is a local tourney that I sometimes play in that is $32+13, 1000TC, starts at 25-50 blinds. If you don't pick up a good hand within the first 4 orbits you have zero chance. Last one I played in, I had 66, which looked like AA to me and I made a 3x raise preflop, had one guy call all-in, another guy reraised all-in for most of my stack, I thought for a bit and folded, guy won with JJ, and my last hand AQs, moved all-in for about $500, called by a limping UTG chip-leader with 98o and he turned two pair. And that was it, no other decent hands. I limped with K3s and JTo and folded everything else.

It looks to me there's two ways of playing: Play every unraised pot early and see if you can make a hand, or wait for big hands and just go with them. At this tourney, a 3x BB raise at the beginning is about 1/5 of your stack so there's no point in playing around. After you accumulate chips, perhaps you can make some plays. I would also like to hear some thoughts on these short-chip, high blind tourneys.

DyessMan89
02-26-2005, 04:24 PM
With tourneys like these ... I start out playing like I would at the end of a normal tourney. I play loose, and very aggressive. Ill make a lot of blind steals, stabs at the pots, and when I pick up a hand ... all my chips are probobly going in the center.

benkath1
02-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I was just about to post the excact same thing. I wonder if there is even a chance in these quick round tourneys.

I have also read that 20 minute rounds on line compare to 60 minute rounds live. Anyone care to comment on that, as I haven't played many live tourneys?

I did win a 2.50 mtt at pacific, and it seemed if I could stay at average chip stack till in the money (50) I could make a move and gain chips quick. I was also on a major rush that night, which I'm sure was the most of it.

Any more please??
Ben

Russ McGinley
02-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Just had yet another dead card live tourney loss. I tried limping with suited cards, mid-connectors, never hit a flop. Best hands: 44 (won blinds), 22 (folded on flop, 2 hit turn), A2o (won blinds). Finally went all-in with K8s, called by KQs, everyone missed. The guy who called with KQs had already picked up AA twice and KK twice in 45 minutes.