PDA

View Full Version : Will Bill Cowher be fired??

Myrtle
01-23-2005, 10:37 PM
41 - 20 Pats.....less than 2 minutes to go....

34TheTruth34
01-23-2005, 10:44 PM
are you insane???

Myrtle
01-23-2005, 10:50 PM
....Saw a special on both coaches last night.

Cowher does not LEAD his team.....he looks to his players for leadership when things get tough. There's more to this game than puffing up your chest........

Toro
01-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I doubt it very much. The Steelers run by the Rooneys stick with their coaches. Also, if you fire him, you better have someone in mind that you think can do a better job.

Who's out there? No one that you could bank on.

Last point. Is there really a lot of shame in losing to Belicheck? No one else can beat him.

Myrtle
01-23-2005, 11:07 PM
No shame at all T.......

...and I like Cowher, too. Seems like a decent guy and a tought nut. I have a very good friend who's been a Steeler season ticket holder for the last 20 years....

He says that the natives are getting restless down there because of his inability to beat premier teams in games that matter.....Evidently the buzz (according to my friend) is that the prevelent view is that there is a bigger problem with the Steelers with coaching than with on the field talent.

sammysusar
01-23-2005, 11:40 PM
What was their record this year??

Major problem with the steelers today is rookie qb played poorly and secondary is a little suspect. No shame in a rook struggling a bit after a good yr. Probably could add some db help and could be sb favorites next yr.

tech
01-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Only if they want to win a Super Bowl. If they are cool with getting close every now and then, Cowher is the man for the job.

James282
01-24-2005, 12:11 AM
He will never be fired in Pittsburgh. The front office went on record last week saying he could stay another 20 years if he wanted to.
-James

34TheTruth34
01-24-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowher does not LEAD his team.....he looks to his players for leadership when things get tough. There's more to this game than puffing up your chest........

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but they love him in Pittsburgh and he's had a lot of success. I do kinda think he's slightly overrated as a coach though.

Gramps
01-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Let's think about the starting QB's he's had to work with during his tenure in Pittsburgh. Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox. All servicable, but...c'mon, that's one heck of a job he's done without a Super Bowl calibre QB.

Of course, now he's got player control, Rothli-something is his accountability. But even with turning the ball over too much, they woulda run all over the Eagles (IMO). Sucks to be in the same conference as New England.

Give some Super Bowl winning coaches the teams Cowher has had in Pittsburgh (say a Mike Holmgren), and they don't come close to his record. Give Cowher a Farve or Elway to manage those solid playoff teams he's had, and he's got 3 rings or so by now - even if he's not the game's best tactician.

jasonHoldEm
01-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Cowher will never be fired, he will only leave the team when...(in order of likelyhood)

a) He retires
b) Hell freezes over
c) He smiles (the perma-scowl is a required part of his contract)

J

WillMagic
01-24-2005, 05:39 AM
No.

Will

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-24-2005, 06:58 AM
No way he gets fired. He takes a team predicted by everyone to be 8-8 or 9-7, goes 15-1 and then loses in the AFC championship to the reigning Super Bowl champs. I say he gets a contract extension.

youtalkfunny
01-24-2005, 07:30 AM
This Rookieburger is going to be something special.

The future is very bright in Steel City.

And that's coming from a Pats fan.

Tyler Durden
01-24-2005, 11:46 AM
My friend said that Cowher was trashing Roethlisberger last night after the game. Anyone know if that's true? Saying he played like a rookie, etc.

Myrtle
01-24-2005, 12:21 PM
......10 - 1 if you include my NO vote also.

Perhaps my short title to the post was somewhat misleading....was not done intentionaly.

The reason that I posted it was that I see somewhat of a similar parallel in this particular issue to the issue that we see in poker when we talk about 'conventional vs. non-conventional' thinking & strategy.

Is there a bit of emotional rationalization going on here in this issue? I think perhaps there is......

What say you all?

Toro
01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only if they want to win a Super Bowl. If they are cool with getting close every now and then, Cowher is the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some emails sent to the Pittsburg Post Gazette:

OK, Mr. Rooney, unless you like winning only regular season games or having a never-to-be-broken record of losing 80 percent of your conference championship games at home, Bill Cowher must go!

Yes, we all know that Bill doesn't throw or run, but really, to call for a field goal from the 2, when trailing the defending world champions by 14 at the start of the fourth quarter, with the team having is best momentum of the game, was absurd. Even if the Steelers failed, leaving the Patriots at the 1 or 2, both the crowd and the defense would have still been going crazy, not to mention that the Steelers might actually scored. Instead, Cowher brilliantly managed to simultaneously take the crowd and the defense out of the game.

Chuck Alpern

Ben Rothlesburger should hold his head up high. He played exceptionally well. The defense let him down and Coach Cowher blew it with his wimpish decision to go for a field goal when a touchdown would have sent a shot of adrenaline into the Steelers regardless of the outcome.

Let's move on, get a new coach and use these awesome players to their fullest advantage.

Phyllis Knoll

How you doing, Steelers fans?

In big games like this, your coach is like a deer in the headlights. Big mouths Jerome Bettis, Joey Porter and Plaxico Burress don't back up their cheap talk.

The Patriots are going to the Super Bowl. Yeah, I got a feeling.

You guys really like living in past. Nice touch, bringing out the old-timers before the game. Now you can use those yellow towels to dry your tears. Fifteen and one doesn't mean much now.

Hope you didn't make reservations for Jacksonville. Ha, ha, ha.

Kevin Charles, a Patriots fan

Mr Rooney,

I appreciate your loyalty to Bill Cowher. Loyalty is one major component that is missing from most business relationships it this era.

However, How much longer must we deal with Coach Cowher's inability to win the big game? This man is 1-4 in AFC championships and 0-1 in the Super Bowl. All of these losses have come when Coach Cowher has arguably had the most talented team on the NFL at the time of each loss.

You own the team, and if you didn't terminate Cowher after his 6-10 season last year, or after his other three losses at home in the AFC championship game, I know you will not terminate him after this embarrassment.

Although you won't make the change, It's time for a change.

Ed Cole

It's heartbreaking for the Fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers once again, and again, and again. Sound sarcastic? its supposed to. When will we accomplish winning a game that matters? Our team played by the book,but bad coaching calls blew it again. Sure the officiating played its horrble part by missing all the holds against the defense(numerous times), but worst of all is the atrocious call by the coaching staff in the last quarter, by kicking a field goal. By kicking that field goal he took the drive out of the comeback in the offense. End of story.

Great Game Steelers. I love yins and I'll Love Yins next year too. Thanks for a super, nail-biting season.

Go Steelers.

Joseph Lapp

beernutz
01-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I hope to god they do fire him. Then perhaps the Saints will have a shot at him. In fact I bet if he were fired he'd be out of a job for about the time it takes for the electrons announcing his firing to be received in at least 10 NFL cities.

Rick Diesel
01-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Let's see....

Take a team that went 6-10 last year.
Add only one solid free agent (Duce).
Throw in a rookie QB (Ben).
Have THREE new starters in the secondary.
Lose your best defensive player, maybe the best nose tackle in the league to injury (Hampton).
Have maybe the biggest name player on the defense (Bell) out for most of the year.

and go 15-1 and lose in the AFC Championship to the defending Super Bowl champs....

why would anyone even ask this question?

CORed
01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I thought kicking instead of going for it was questionable, but if he had gone for it and failed, the same people would be saying he should have kicked the field goal. I don't think pinning the Patriots on the 1 would have been worth 3 points. OTOH, the best chance to win was to go for it and score the touchdown.

Oski
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope to god they do fire him. Then perhaps the Saints will have a shot at him. In fact I bet if he were fired he'd be out of a job for about the time it takes for the electrons announcing his firing to be received in at least 10 NFL cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite so fast. A potential suitor has to first interview minority candidates.

BadBoyBenny
01-24-2005, 09:13 PM
He said you can't throw 3 picks in a big game like that. I think Ben and the rest of the world agrees.

BadBoyBenny
01-24-2005, 09:21 PM
You should have been listening to Pittsburgh Sports Radio today. Over half the callers wanted him fired. Not one person put any of the blame on Lebeau whose #1 defense tanked horribly. Or Wisenhunt and the predictable run-run-pass calling the first half. No opening with a reverse for the Steelers.

Sort of like everyone in the world calling Belichek the genius and not acknowledging that Weis and Crennel write the game plans.

My opinion, Buress and the Bus will be gone next year. Willie Williams may retire. We may try and deal Kendall Simmons or Kedrick Vincent to clear up cap space, if we don't need the space then both will stay. Everyone else stays (coaches and players), Hines gets a raise.

mostsmooth
01-24-2005, 09:56 PM
these emails appear fishy to me. especially seeing that one is from "chuck" xxxx, and the next is from xxxx k"noll". add that to theyre all spaced the same and use the same format and pretty good grammar and such. and who uses their full name at the bottom of an email, let alone all of them. but who knows

CptMisery
01-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks Rick. The entire time I was scrolling through this thread I was thinking exactly what you wrote.

As a Steeler fan, losing the championship game (again!) is always tough, but Cowher has the job until he wants to quit. Cleveland would scoop him up in a minute if he was fired and then we'd have to deal with him twice a year.

Toro
01-25-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sort of like everyone in the world calling Belichek the genius and not acknowledging that Weis and Crennel write the game plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shiit! Enjoy it while we can Pats fans. With Romeo likely going to Cleveland and Weiss off to ND, the Patriots are screwed next year!

ddollevoet
01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowher will never be fired, he will only leave the team when...(in order of likelyhood)

a) He retires
b) Hell freezes over
c) He smiles (the perma-scowl is a required part of his contract)

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say never.

Cowher has led the Steelers to 5 AFC Championship games during he tenure. If he continues this trend, he'll likely stay there as long as he wants. If he puts a few losing seasons back to back, his job may be in jeopardy. (Remember that even Don Shula was forced out of Miami.)

On a different note, anyone who says that he is a bad coach is being absurd. One thing matters in coaching: winning. Cowher is 130-77-1 since going to Pittsburgh.

pokeraz
01-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Very funny.

Tyler Durden
01-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Yea, that was funny.

Rick Diesel
01-25-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite so fast. A potential suitor has to first interview minority candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and according to the story on ESPN.com page 2, Snoop Dogg is first in line. I would post a link, but i don't know how to do that, so you have to go to espn.com and find the article yourself.

BadBoyBenny
01-25-2005, 08:59 PM
You are not screwed and you are the better team. Happy?

You have great players (I think most of them will be back), a great team mentality, and a coach who knows how to teach both fundamentals and the little things that gives his team the edge. He also was a good defensive coordinator when he had that job. That said, he doesn't draw up the game plans each week. I'm sure he has input, but most of the plays and schemes are delegated.

Toro
01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are not screwed and you are the better team. Happy?

You have great players (I think most of them will be back), a great team mentality, and a coach who knows how to teach both fundamentals and the little things that gives his team the edge. He also was a good defensive coordinator when he had that job. That said, he doesn't draw up the game plans each week. I'm sure he has input, but most of the plays and schemes are delegated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy? No, ecstatic. Yeah, I'm sure he has a teensy teensy bit of imput too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif