PDA

View Full Version : Betting on Beirut/Beerpong

Blackjack
01-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Anyone ever tried this? I think it would be great fun among gambling friends to play for like $20 per game.

Would add more pressure and intensity to the game, that's for sure. Plus - it would shut up all those assholes at parties who claim they are the ultimate at Beirut and make them cough up the dough.

Blackjack

Homer
01-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Whoah, you called it Beirut! Where did/do you go to school?

Oh, and to answer your question, I played in a few tournaments, but only for pride. I would have loved to play for money. I kick ass.

Blackjack
01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Wake Forest

Homer
01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wake Forest

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange, I had never heard of it being used at another school until now.

Jason Strasser
01-24-2005, 05:00 AM
at duke its beirut

jar
01-24-2005, 07:37 PM
It's beirut at WPI as well.

CCx
01-24-2005, 07:40 PM
hmm, you should join a beer pong league - a brewery near my house that i visit multiple times a week runs one - $50 entry fee per team, usually awesome prizes like super bowl trips, ski trip for a week, trip to vegas for a week, trip to the beach for a week, etc. - maybe not the answer you're looking for, but it sure as hell is more competitive with that type of prize on the line!

pshreck
01-24-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wake Forest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was called Beirut everywhere? I went to college at Lehigh and Uconn.

IsaacW
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's beirut at WPI as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beer pong and beirut are two different games. The object of beirut is to make the other team drink by throwing a ping pong ball in the other team's cups. While the object is the same (make your opponents drink), beer pong is played with paddles and has a complex rule set. It's a beer sport, not a beer game /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would gladly take on all comers in beer pong.

CCx
01-24-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The object of beirut is to make the other team drink by throwing a ping pong ball in the other team's cups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always called this beer pong, and have never heard of the other variation with paddles. Interesting concept, though!

Homer
01-24-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wake Forest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was called Beirut everywhere? I went to college at Lehigh and Uconn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to one of those schools (the one that sucks at basketball). I really didn't know that many other schools used the same name (and yes, I knew the difference between Beirut and Beer Pong).

Ozzzz
01-25-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I went to one of those schools (the one that sucks at basketball).

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching the 2nd half of Sat nights game I assume you mean UConn?

jar
01-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Other than members of a certain fraternity and their friends, I don't think anyone else at WPI plays this. You'll have to explain the complex rules to me sometime.

Rick Diesel
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
My friends and I have a tournament at everyf party we have, usually with a $10 entry fee. Winner takes all. And we know it as beerpong. Never heard of beirut

morgan180
01-27-2005, 11:13 PM
we have an annual beruit tournament - set up like the world cup

36 teams
6 groups of 6 teams each each team plays the other teams in the group once
top 3 teams in each advance to single elimination tournament down to the winner

usually starts at about 4 in the afternoon and ends some time around then at night

winner gets cash (20/bucks per team) and a nice looking trophy

IsaacW
01-28-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than members of a certain fraternity and their friends, I don't think anyone else at WPI plays this. You'll have to explain the complex rules to me sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are the best writeup of the rules I could find, with minor edits. WPI students are not generally known for their writing ability /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beer Pong Rules:

SETUP

The playing surface consists of a large piece of wood (typically plywood) with the dimensions of 4 x 8 feet. It is raised about 3 feet off the ground. The center line is formed by laying a broom or mop handle across the table (some new tables have this built in). A game uses six, 16 ounce plastic cups per side. They are formed into a triangle, centered with respect to the back edge, pointing to the center of the table. The back edge of the cups must be one half paddle length from the edge of the table at all times. Each cup is filled with one 12 ounce beer; each cup represent four drinks. Paddles are required. A regular ping pong ball is used.

TEAMS

Teams are made of two players each. Winning teams may stay on the table to accept challenges from other teams.

SERVES

The challenging team always serves the first ball of the game. A successful serve consists of you hitting the ball so that it hits your side of the table first and then your opponents' side. There must be ample height to the serve so as not to be called "low," as described below in the GAMEPLAY section. Hitting the opponents cups on a serve is penalized by the server drinking one drink; sinking the opponents' cups on a serve is penalized by the server drinking two drinks. The server may serve to either opponent. Each server is allowed 3 chances to get a good serve on the table; 3 consecutive faults will be penalized by the server having to drink one drink. In the case when your team only has one drink left, there is no penalty for 3 faults or for hitting your opponents' cups on the serve. Whichever player misses the table, misses the ball, is unable to make a save, or in general makes a mistake must serve the next ball.

GAMEPLAY

Once a volley has begun, teammates must alternate hits, no exceptions. On all hits, the ball should be lobbed. There is an invisible plane above the table that the ball must be above in order to be in play, but the exact height is up to player discretion. If a player feels a hit was too low, he must call out "LOW" before the ball comes back to their side again. Players can call their own shots low if they want. The ceiling is in play. The center line is considered "air," so that a ball that bounces off the handle towards your opponents side and hits the table is considered live. A volley ends when one team misses the opponents' side of the table or when a HIT or SINK is made. Any hit that does not hit the opponents' side of the table may be returned for a HIT or SINK as described below.

HITTING + SINKING + DRINKING

A HIT is defined as one of two events: (1) the ball strikes the rim or the side of the cup on its way down before hitting the table or (2) the ball hits the table first and strikes a cup on its bounce up from the table; the ball must first bounce within a few inches of the cups to count as this sort of hit. Player discretion must be used to determine whether the hit counts or not.

A SINK when the ball goes into the cup and stays there.

When a team's cups are HIT, that team drinks one drink (1/4 beer) from the cup that was hit. When one of a team's is SUNK, that team drinks two drinks (1/2 beer). In the event that you sink a cup that only has one drink left, only that one is drunk. When a cup is emptied, it is removed from the table. The cups are reformed the following ways:

6 cups: triangle
4 cups: diamond
3 cups: small triangle
2 cups: line parallel to back edge of table
1 cup: centered on back edge of table

SAVES

A save is when a team's cups are hit and that team is able to play the ball back to the opponents' side without penalty. A save attempt need not be lobbed, and may be spiked if possible. Thrown paddles are allowed. If you throw your paddle and are able to hit a "savable" ball on to your opponents' side, the save is good and play continues. In the case of a sink, if the ball is spinning in the cup, you can attempt to blow it out before it stops. If successful, you only need to drink a 1/4 instead of a 1/2. If you blow it into another cup, you must drink a 1/2 from that cup. When a save occurs and results in a HIT or SINK on the other team they must drink double the amount normally required (i.e. save to a HIT = two drinks , save to a SINK = four drinks).

OrangeHeat
01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Same at Clarkson and St.Lawrence U.

Orange

jlpadge21
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
I went to Claremont Colleges, Beirut is played no bounce, beer pong is played with mandatory one bounce. Dorm Championship game was played 1v1, 10 cup, full cup. Insanity.

MikeyObviously
02-03-2005, 09:53 PM
In Ohio I've heard it called both. I go to Ohio State, and we call it beer pong. But I've heard other kids from Miami, Bowling Green, OU, and Wright State call it Beirut (not all 4 of them, but some of them). And EVERY school has different rules.

O State plays 10 cups, bounce counts 2, you can swat bounces, 1 reformation (I prefer the POWER-I), and girls can blow. Rebuttals allowed, and if converted it goes to a 3 cup playoff.

fat_nutz
02-16-2005, 02:45 PM
2 players per team.

ONE cup in front of each player. Filled with beer. None of this pussyass pyramid [censored]. There is one cup, period.

Serving rules, accurate--except, a plunk (sinking the ball in the returner's beer) results in a chug, by both members of the serving team.

Thereafter, two players lob back and forth trying to hit each other's cup. The inactive teammates look on, perhaps working on sidebrews--they will only leap into action if a cup is hit to perform a save (which is when the ball hits the cup, but can be returned safely according to normal one-bounce rules).

Hit = one drink. Multiple hits (caused by saves) accumulate single drinks, all to be paid by the losing team. A point which results in hit(s) is worth one point to the winning team. Plunk = chug. 2 points for a plunk. Play to an agreeded upon score (recommended, 69), win by 2.

Additional rules:

--on a game-play plunk (non-serving, non-pitcher), the losing team gets one chance at a throwback, essentially a single-cup, single-toss Beirut shot. Connecting on this shot makes the other team chug instead of you (they still get the points though). Hardcore players occasionally go for the re-throwback, re-re-throwback, etc, in which case the successive made throwbacks result in multiple chugs, with the number increasing geometrically (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.)
--If a pitcher is used, it should reside at the center of the table. If the pitcher is plunked, it must be chugged. Do not plunk the pitcher.
--if you knock over your beer, or attempt to use a bitch beer by taking increasingly smaller sips as points accumulate against you in an effort to lessen the pain of being subsequently plunked, and that bitch beer is then knocked over, you fill and chug.

I've seen this alternating shot, two drinks per plunk crap game played at crap schools such as Dartmouth, but those rules result in less drinking, less [censored]-talking, and more injuries. What's the point. Play by these rules, and you will definitely be sculpted into a bronze beergod in no time.

IsaacW
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ONE cup in front of each player. Filled with beer. None of this pussyass pyramid [censored]. There is one cup, period.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play to an agreeded upon score (recommended, 69), win by 2.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
--if you knock over your beer, or attempt to use a bitch beer [...]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen this alternating shot, two drinks per plunk crap game played at crap schools such as Dartmouth, but those rules result in less drinking, less [censored]-talking, and more injuries. What's the point. Play by these rules, and you will definitely be sculpted into a bronze beergod in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, which frat are you in? I bet you get ALL the chicks at your mixers /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, your rules are an interesting combination of beer die and beer pong, but I'm afraid we invented beer pong and you are wrong. Beer pong as beer sport is played according to our rules.

Wayfare
02-25-2005, 02:46 AM
The big easy, saturday nights, $100 / game /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Arsene Lupin III
03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wake Forest

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a wake senior and we call it both.. More likely to see southerners calling it BP.. It's beirut pretty much all over the northeast. Even in games of 'pong' its still called beirut when you hit the same cup twice, right?

I play more beer die than bp/beirut, tho.

PokerFink
03-08-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Beer pong and beirut are two different games. The object of beirut is to make the other team drink by throwing a ping pong ball in the other team's cups. While the object is the same (make your opponents drink), beer pong is played with paddles and has a complex rule set.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on where you go to school. At Penn State, what you call beirut is called beer pong. In fact, calling it beirut is liable to get you ridiculed by everyone at the party.

At big parties, it's six cups (due to long lines). Ten cups if we're just pregamming or it's a small gathering. One re-rack, bounces count two, but you can swat them. No blowing, although we usually let girls blow (because, I mean, come on. They're girls - it's not like they can aim). Two players, and if both players make their shot, they shoot again.

And FWIW, I did already know about your beer pong sport. We call it beer pong anyway. It's beer pong in Philly, too (I'm surprised that it's beirut at Lehigh).

JoshuaD
03-08-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beer pong and beirut are two different games. The object of beirut is to make the other team drink by throwing a ping pong ball in the other team's cups. While the object is the same (make your opponents drink), beer pong is played with paddles and has a complex rule set.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on where you go to school. At Penn State, what you call beirut is called beer pong. In fact, calling it beirut is liable to get you ridiculed by everyone at the party.

At big parties, it's six cups (due to long lines). Ten cups if we're just pregamming or it's a small gathering. One re-rack, bounces count two, but you can swat them. No blowing, although we usually let girls blow (because, I mean, come on. They're girls - it's not like they can aim). Two players, and if both players make their shot, they shoot again.

And FWIW, I did already know about your beer pong sport. We call it beer pong anyway. It's beer pong in Philly, too (I'm surprised that it's beirut at Lehigh).

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the rules I know and play in NJ.

IsaacW
03-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it has moved around to some other schools. We've been playing this game since the 70s, and I haven't heard anyone claim it was played before that.

I understand that some might call beirut beer pong, but they're wrong /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Homer
03-11-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine went to Penn State and they indeed called it beer pong, even though there were no paddles involved. They used huge cups (12 oz, I believe), whereas we typically used 9 oz cups. Also, they played with 6 cups (as you mentioned) in a pyramid, whereas we played with 10 cups, any formation you wanted.

Damn, I kind of miss college right now...

hogua
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we usually let girls blow

[/ QUOTE ]

ojsdaman
03-14-2005, 08:56 PM
yo blackjack- my boy goes to wake and one of them just graduated..he is "coletrickle" on 2+2 and usually is in the sports betting forum...his name..minie me..just kidding..andy bologna

ojsdaman
03-14-2005, 08:58 PM
i found when betting on beer pong, it is much better to play that you are forced to pick your cup...this makes the game a bit longer and adds some skill so you arent just losing 20 bones to some meathead who leans across the entire table and gets lucky...also, when the meathead hits a cup, but it doesnt count because he called a different one it puts him on insane tilt..