PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera ..

TightInn
01-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm in college right now and I think it would be cool to have a camera to record all the stupid [censored] we do. I don't know a lot about them in general, but I have an HP Photosmart 1315 printer and a PM laptop.

I'd like the pictures to be a little clear, easy to put on my computer, and I'd like a decent video recorder. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money ... maybe $200 (which probably goes a reasonably long way if I buy from e-bay or half.com).

Can any of you guys educate me on this? thanks..

Popinjay
01-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Awesome camera (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx7/)

Expensive but worth it

Otherwise check out the Pentax SP5i, that is around $250

Reef
01-23-2005, 06:51 PM
get an A75

benfranklin
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
The more pixels, the finer the detail. 3 megapixels is a good compromise between detail and cost. You won't need any more than that unless you are publishing. Any major brand is going to take great pictures, and you will not be likely to be able to tell the difference. Everyone will tell you that they have the best camera. But it may not be best for you.

I think that there are 3 things you need to look at.

1. Handle the cameras and find which one feels most comfortable to you in terms of how the controls work, how you take pictures, etc.

2. Some cameras have proprietary battery systems, others use standards, like AA. I prefer those. You can buy a good set of rechargeables, and in an emergency you can go into a convenience store and buy some Duracells. If your proprietary battery dies in the middle of nowhere, you don't have a camera.

3. There are different types of memory cards. If you take a lot of pictures, you will want more memory. Compact Flash cards are the most common and the least expensive.

wacki
01-23-2005, 07:20 PM
If you post this question on a camera/tech forum about 90% of your replies are going to be Canon. MOst of those are going to be Canon powershot. The S series is small, compact, and still has tons of features.

All of your questions can be answered here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Popinjay
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I love how people say they prefer AA batteries because you can get them in an emergency. Exactly what kind of emergencies need for you to have a digital camera?

Anyway, I prefer propietary batteries because they are rechargable and a lot smaller than AA's. When you get your camera, hit up ebay and search for your batteries for your camera. Get 1 or 2 spare propietary batteries and you're set.

AncientPC
01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how people say they prefer AA batteries because you can get them in an emergency. Exactly what kind of emergencies need for you to have a digital camera?

Anyway, I prefer propietary batteries because they are rechargable and a lot smaller than AA's. When you get your camera, hit up ebay and search for your batteries for your camera. Get 1 or 2 spare propietary batteries and you're set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you can always buy AA batteries from local shops when you're out touristing, and there are rechargeable Ni-MH batteries as well.

However I don't like AA batteries because they make the camera bigger, like the Nikon cameras. If you want a smaller camera you'll be stuck with a proprietary battery, but I can't think of any other reason to choose proprietary over AA.