PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments with 4 left?

meatballAK
01-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Was hoping someone has done the math this issue. I think most would agree that for the single tournament, playing more cautiously at 4 left will give you better chances of at least making the money. I was wondering, however, if this is correct play over the long run. I.e. grabbing chips when everyone else is cautious putting you in better position to place higher. Any thoughts? I'm most interested in actual numbers, but I'll listen to opinions as well.

Thanks.

MrMon
01-23-2005, 04:05 PM
This is not a mathematical matter. The only answer is "it depends". By this time, you should have some sort of read on your opponents. Can you steal, or will they fight back? What's your table rep? Are they going to interpret your steal attempts as steal attempts or as legit plays? What is your stack compared to everyone else vs the blinds? Etc., etc.

There is no one answer here, it's all situation dependent. You've got the right idea that you should steal as much as possible to position yourself to win, but you also don't want to jepordize winning any money at all. Only experience will tell you the right answer in any given situation. Sometimes you'll get it right and sometimes you won't, but if you keep track of your stats over time, you'll be able to tell if you're finding the right solution.

meatballAK
01-23-2005, 05:13 PM
ok, i see your point. But try this scenario. I'm big blind and button (chip leader and very aggressive) goes all in. My read is that he's stealing. I call with AQ suited. he has 67 suited, hits a six. I'm out in 4th.

So, I guess I'll limit my question to calling all-ins when you can get knocked out. Even though I was almost sure I had the best hand, did I need that call to make the money? Probably not, I wasn't short stacked. But on the other hand, I've got all my money in with the best hand and will be set up nicely if I win.

Assuming you made the same read, would you call the bet?

MrMon
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Of course you call with AQ, unless there is a VERY short stack on the bubble who will have to win in the next orbit, and even then you might still call. (There's always an exception!) AQ is almost an automatic call from BB.