PDA

View Full Version : Al Alvarez .. The Biggest Game in Town

evain
01-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Ok here is my dilemma. I am photographing Al Alvarez (author of cult poker book The Biggest Game in Town) in London tomorrow and I am not sure if I should stay professional or mention that I love the book and love poker etc.

The shoot is for The Times of London and it has nothing to do with the book or poker.

Any thoughts on what I should say if I do decide to mention poker and his great book?

evain

Toro
01-23-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here is my dilemma. I am photographing Al Alvarez (author of cult poker book The Biggest Game in Town) in London tomorrow and I am not sure if I should stay professional or mention that I love the book and love poker etc.

The shoot is for The Times of London and it has nothing to do with the book or poker.

Any thoughts on what I should say if I do decide to mention poker and his great book?

evain

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely talk about the book. My take on him is that he loves poker and loved writing that book and would love to talk about it with you. I don't know anything about being a professional photographer but isn't a good idea to develop some kind of rapport with your subject before the shoot?

evain
01-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes it is but I am always wary of mentioning the one thing that some people are largely famous for. Sometimes they can turn on you and it defeats the purpose.

I think Al will be fine. I talked on the phone with him and he was hilarious. Let's say I bring it up (which I probably will). I might just ask if he has been back to Vegas lately or something like that ... ease us into poker that way rather than say "hey I loved your book".

evain

Toro
01-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Be sure to post after the shoot with the interesting tidbits.

eric5148
01-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Go for it. I'd also be interested to know if he's played any major tournaments recently, or been back to Vegas. Good luck.