PDA

View Full Version : Some $33 hands....

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 01:47 PM
1st situation:

1st hand of sng. Get dealt QQ in BB.
2 limpers then a raise to 85 by button. SB calls, I call and one of the limpers calls. Flop comes 784 with two spades. I see this as a push or fold. Question is, given the PF action will there more often than not be AA-KK in there?

2nd situation:

is 3 hands in. Get KK in MP. Folded to me, I raise to 90. Player right behind me raises to 165. I'm thinking AA. I go push back at him and he calls, and shows AA. I get lucky.

Question here is, should I have pushed? I've seen here how you should do this, and if you run up against AA that's just poker? How often will someone reraise with KK-JJ and AK? Is it enough to make KK here an auto-push (just want to make sure I understand it correctly).

3rd situation:
Doesn't matter now, I'm confident I made the right move.

Also, threw away a boat (TT with KKT flop). A guy pushed (of course with a K2o) and I foolishly folded.

Another game I played, crazy. 6 handed. Bad beat, dropped to 90 chips. A couple of well timed hands, some lucky ones (inc busting AA) and some steals and move to 1500 or so. I get AA and some guy calls, and gets me. Next hand I lose a dominated hand (AT vs KT) and go out in 5th. Ouch.

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
bump

jd2b2006
01-23-2005, 05:11 PM
What are the stacks and blinds for each situation?

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 05:45 PM
1st and 3rd hands in lvl 1 (10/15). So one has 800 for everyone, and the other is probally pretty close.

schilling38
01-23-2005, 06:03 PM
1st hand:
I think in the first situation you should have re-raised to about 200 to limit the field to more likely just you and the original raiser. If he decides to push back at you, you likely call and if he has KK,AA "that's poker". If he doesn't, then you make your move on the ugly flop and he likely folds AK/AQ or calls hopefully with a smaller pocket pair

Hand 2:
I think that you would want to get all your chips in with KK every time facing a re-raise. I think it depends on the player, but you will often see a raise from QQ, JJ, AK, AQ.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Strollen
01-23-2005, 06:37 PM
ditto with what schilling said.

85 from the button looks a lot like just a pure steal rather than a value bet. A reraise to 200 or so will likely get the raiser to fold without a legit hand. If not and than the ragged flop ragged calls for a push on your part, and yes the AQs will call.

However without the reraise, the limper could have dangerous hands like Js10s or 10s9s or AXs, all of which are favorites to win after that flop.

Hand 2. We all remember the KK vs AA all-ins, we forget the 80+% of the time were KK is the best hand preflop and the even more times when people fold to the reraise all-in.

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Situation 2, just wanted to make sure that I understand it right (don't be scared of AA).

Irieguy
01-24-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1st situation:

1st hand of sng. Get dealt QQ in BB.
2 limpers then a raise to 85 by button. SB calls, I call and one of the limpers calls. Flop comes 784 with two spades. I see this as a push or fold. Question is, given the PF action will there more often than not be AA-KK in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be against aces or kings well less than 5% of the time. But, this doesn't have to be an open-push. If the SB checks, you could check also, or you could overbet the pot a bit. What you'd probably most like to see is the button bet and the SB fold. Then you could either raise right there or just keep playing the hand for value. The key concept here is that you aren't going to be bet off the hand on the flop, so you might as well give AK or AQ or a small pair a chance to bluff off some chips. A free card is not likely here, and I'm not worried about it if it is checked around. I'd probably take this line most of the time, and sometimes I would overbet the pot on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

2nd situation:

is 3 hands in. Get KK in MP. Folded to me, I raise to 90. Player right behind me raises to 165. I'm thinking AA. I go push back at him and he calls, and shows AA. I get lucky.

Question here is, should I have pushed? I've seen here how you should do this, and if you run up against AA that's just poker? How often will someone reraise with KK-JJ and AK? Is it enough to make KK here an auto-push (just want to make sure I understand it correctly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with a push here. You could also smooth-call and be prepared to go to war if an ace doesn't come on the flop. I used to think it was too weak being willing to surrender kings if an ace comes on the flop, but now I know that it's usually easy to tell if your opponent has an ace if you play it correctly post-flop.

[ QUOTE ]

3rd situation:
Doesn't matter now, I'm confident I made the right move.

Also, threw away a boat (TT with KKT flop). A guy pushed (of course with a K2o) and I foolishly folded.

Another game I played, crazy. 6 handed. Bad beat, dropped to 90 chips. A couple of well timed hands, some lucky ones (inc busting AA) and some steals and move to 1500 or so. I get AA and some guy calls, and gets me. Next hand I lose a dominated hand (AT vs KT) and go out in 5th. Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't find the question there. But folding a flopped full house is quite bad for your ROI. You really have to be sure that the percentage of time you are folding a full house in a SNG is very close to zero.

What's interesting is that while I read the first two situations, I though to myself "Mr_J really must not feel comfortable playing after the flop." Then you immediately describe a huge post-flop mistake.

The first 4 levels of a SNG is the only time when post flop play is very important. You might want to be willing to see a flop with a big hand during these times to work on that part of your game.

Irieguy

Mr_J
01-24-2005, 12:41 PM
"I though to myself "Mr_J really must not feel comfortable playing after the flop."

You already know that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

"Then you immediately describe a huge post-flop mistake."

Yeh. I get burnt once by these sorts of mistakes and remember them forever. Not something I'm worried about happening again.