PDA

View Full Version : Interesting AKs in Step 2 tourney

jacki
01-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I wasn't sure what to do in this situation.
The original raiser I read for a decent, TAG. I didn't really have a read on the BB rereraiser.

I knew the CO was calling regardless of what I do.

Do you call or fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB (t1535)</font>
UTG (t1785)
MP1 (t1080)
Hero (t690)
<font color="#C00000">CO (t3445)</font>
Button (t1075)
SB (t390)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t700</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1535 (All-In)</font>, Hero ......????

jacki
01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
shameless bump

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I couldn't fold fast enough. A huge (too large) reraise followed by a push? Gotta be AA or KK (maybe both) in there somewhere. You're stack is obviously a bit short, but blinds are still small so I think there's still time to pick better battles.

grickey
01-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I think folding is the best play here.You are probably a coin flip at best.I would wait for a better spot.

jacki
01-23-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta be AA or KK

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought.
I folded.
CO turned over AQo, and BB turned over JJ /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks for your input

Not that it matters, but no A or K fell.

I just felt weird folding AKs with a shortish stack.

Strollen
01-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I suspect that consensus will be "AK is a much better hand to push with than call 2 all-ins". I say call.

My thought is with 690 chips you are really short-stack and need ~2,000 to be competitive. How to get there?
Option one is fold leaving you 540. You than will need to double twice to get to 2,000 chips. Even if you get your all of your money in twice with a 60-40% advantage. You'll only win twice 36%.
Option 2 is to call, worse case you are up against AA, KK and have only a 11% chance of tripling. Typical case you are up against an A10,AJ,AQ, or AXs and pair 77-QQ. Giving you roughly a 35-38% chance of winning. However their perfectly plausible all-in hands like AJ and KQs that would give you greater than 54%+ chance of winning.

The chances of you getting a significantly better hand than AKs (i.e. KK and AA) are 1-100 and than you have to convince other people to put all there money in against you.

Strollen
01-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I posted my reply before reading the others. I figured BB on good pair and CO on a good Ace. You were 36%-38% chance to triple. Glad it worked out for you, but I am curious. What was the next hand you went all-in with and what was the result?

I am guessing worse than AKs

Mr_J
01-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Just noticed it was steps, maybe that's what we should all be playing.

Also thought you had 690 after posting, so you have a little less time but it's still enough to steal with.

I'd be thinking up against JJ+ vs AK/Q at best, but usually a AA-KK in there (although that raise by CO is silly so he could be holding anything). The BB reraise is probally the one I'd be more worried about. He's not desperate so I would've put him on at least QQ.

How long did you survive, and how long did these guys survive?

"The original raiser I read for a decent, TAG"

I'd be happy to attack his blinds.