PDA

View Full Version : Ok, you guys said post hands...

boondockst
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I sat for a whole hour and played about 3 hands that all missed the flop and got this one and liked my outs on the flop and wanted to play a hand (horrid but just imagine it checked around if you fault me for calling the bets) bottom pair, gutshot, backdoor flush draw.......

ok converter's not working....

i have Jd Td and it's minraised PF i call and the flop comes AQT with one diamond....i call a pot-sized bet....turn is a needed diamond and i call a small bet....river is 10 and villain shows QQ and takes a good bit of my stack

next hand:

I raise pot-sized with AKo

flop: K 8 4 rainbow

i get the rest of my stack in as another K comes on the turn

river blank

Villain shows K8 for the fullhouse

Yeah i played the first hand bad but then the 2nd??????

How can i escape this crap? I try taking a risk and get absolutely dominated...another guy calls a raise with garbage and leaves me drawing to 3 outs when i think my hand is solid......

You guys never hit rock bottom? Maybe i'll feel better after sleeping but the thought of poker is making me sick....

jtr
01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
In the first hand, how many callers for the min-raise? I hope it was more than just you versus the min-raiser, but that's not a big deal I suppose. On the flop, why did you call a pot-sized bet with very few outs? Let's say about 6 and that might be charitable. OK, I know you know you played this one badly, but it looks like your general frustration (understandable) is getting to you here. I mean, stand back a little from this hand and think about this: you just lost a significant amount of money with JTs and you didn't hit either the straight or the flush with it. You shouldn't let that happen very often.

In hand 2, did you bet out on the flop? It's not clear from your description. If you bet out on the flop and he raised you immediately, that gives you a chance to get away from the looming disaster.

As for the rest of the hand, yes it's an awful situation. The one thing I would say is not to fall into the trap of believing that an exposed trips (two on board, one in hand) is such a wonderful NL hand. You are in one of those way-ahead-or-way-behind situations. The two Ks on board make it unlikely that anyone without a K will call a big bet, unless of course they have a set and have filled up. I would be inclined to bet out on the turn, sure, but not to go all-in, assuming there was still some depth in the stacks.

You're probably well aware of all that and were simply hoping to make some money from a guy with K7, so again, my sympathies.

boondockst
01-23-2005, 07:46 PM
so you can't really make money off TPTK when you trip it up?

TheWorstPlayer
01-23-2005, 08:10 PM
TPTK is still essentially TPTK when you trip it up. The only additional hands it is now beating is bottom two pair, which is quite an unlikely holding to be calling a raise with on this flop. So, yes, if you get resistance you are probably losing, same as with TPTK. Tripping it doesn't really help you. I would basically consider the turn to be a blank.

Lawrence Ng
01-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Assuming this is Pot Limit:

[ QUOTE ]
i have Jd Td and it's minraised PF i call and the flop comes AQT with one diamond....i call a pot-sized bet....turn is a needed diamond and i call a small bet....river is 10 and villain shows QQ and takes a good bit of my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the pot on the flop, and raise and/or bet the pot on the turn. It is a must raise.

[ QUOTE ]
next hand:

I raise pot-sized with AKo

flop: K 8 4 rainbow

i get the rest of my stack in as another K comes on the turn

river blank

Villain shows K8 for the fullhouse

[/ QUOTE ]

TPTK in PL and NL games do not like seeing monster pots getting lots of action. Unless you are playing against a real idiot who chases and/or a LAG who is crazy enough to chase with something worse, you have to slow down. Against most opponents without position, you might want to bet only half the pot on the turn and see what prevails. Overplayed here.

Lawrence

TheWorstPlayer
01-23-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming this is Pot Limit:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the pot on the flop, and raise and/or bet the pot on the turn. It is a must raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm....don't think it is pot limit. And did you mean "must fold" instead of "must raise?"