PDA

View Full Version : Does when you play matter on poker sites?

ordinaryboy
01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi there

i am a european poker player so i generally prefer to play during european daytime, this can differ greatly to americans daytime.

Now one of the things i have been considering is whether it would be more profitable to play according to american time as i generally find their to be more fishy americans than europeans. (altho this is a generalisation there are plenty of fishy brits and in particular fishy scandinavians i dont think they are in the quantities as americans, obviously this is just my observation).

Now when i log into party i might play any time between 9am-5pm GMT which is i think 4am-12pm EST and maybe 1am-9am Pacific time (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Now i find that there are far fewer tables with people playing and that the average pot size is normally around $10-30 for 50NL which is what i play.

Now say i decide to play in the evening from GMT 8pm-12am
that is EST 3pm-7pm and Pacific time 12pm-4pm normally there are far more players as the americans have woken up and the average pot size has jumped up to $20-40 and sometimes $45.

I was wondering if anybody else had thought about this, also i was thinking that the current debate over party getting harder might be because pro's would play all day say, but fish maybe just in the evening so wouldnt it be wiser to play when the fish are playing and not just the pro's???

any thoughts welcome

cheers

vanHelsing
01-23-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does when you play matter on poker sites?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet it does. One could check it using Pokertracker, but that would need a sample size of some 100K i guess.

I am from Europe too and like to get up early, have my main session in the morning (4 hours) and add another 2 hours late in the evening. In terms of GMT, I don't like PartyPoker very much between 1 and 8 pm. Any other periode is fine.
To translate it to EST, I like to play between 1-6 am and 3-8 pm. I have a family, so I can't spend the whole night at the tables /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jimdmcevoy
01-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I agree that time of day matters. Around midnight American time I find good, which is about a nice 3pm in Australia for me.