PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy tournies, Are they just lotteries?

LImitPlayer
01-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Whats up with the crazy all in's with nothing in rebuy tournies?

Every Rebuy tounrey I enter seems to be a crapshoot in the 1st hour with people hoping to get lucky and take a masive chip lead.

People going all in with junk and getting 3-4 callers all with junk. If they bust out they rebuy and repeat said process over and over agin.

Is this a sound stratgey?

jennicide
01-23-2005, 07:11 AM
To me, the rebuy isn't necessarily a huge risk if I want to load my table with chips or 'get lucky' and have a massive chiplead into the next break. I only play the 10 rebuy and the 5 rebuy like this. I think it's worth risking 150-200 for a possible 10k..especially when you KNOW you have a lot of weak players at your table.

sammysusar
01-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Rebuying many times in these tourneys has been bad for my bankroll. But I probably only long a few hrs of online play a week. I can see the merits of the strategy though since payouts are so top heavy. would be curious to know if this can work.

johnd13
01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I've been amazed by these rebuy tourneys ever since I opened up an account on Stars. It's kinda stange to see all the preflop really junk hands (not to mention the striaght and flush draws). One thing I have noticed is like Jennicide said, most of these don't mind putting in 10 or 15 rebuys if it gets then a huge stack by the break.

jennicide
01-23-2005, 11:43 AM
No, not at all. I mean some people call lots of rebuy players like me 'crazy' but it also helps for my image after break. OMG I play tighter??? How could this be??? Most of the people who complain about crazy rebuy players like teecoy, chipmovr, bigslick789 and myself generally don't place very high and are frustrated that we can have so much fun first hour and make money at the same time! If we don't have huge stacks, hasn't anyone ever heard of table inflation???

Tosh
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
It gives you a better chance of winning a tournament, but does not maximise return on your money. An argument goes it increases your hourly rate but even that is highly dubious.

Tom Bayes
01-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I have noticed quite a few players, especially many who are at or near the top of the TLB board, playing the $5 and $10 rebuys very loose in the first hour to, as jennicide said, to build a big stack and to get a lot of chips on a weak table to win later.

I don't play rebuys above the $10 level, but I'm curious to know from those that do as to whether there are players playing this ultra-loose aggressive first hour style in the bigger rebuy events, say the $100 level. I'm guessing fewer (if any) are, both because it's more money and because there is presumably a much smaller proportion of weak players to take advantage of.

Of course, I know that players like Daniel Negreanu and Phil Ivey will throw around $1000 rebuys in the WSOP like some players do in the $5 Stars tourneys. Apparently last year Daniel made like 28 rebuys in the WSOP rebuy event and Hellmuth cracked "Daniel made more rebuys today than I've made in my career".

sammysusar
01-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Tosh, People always claim it cant increase your money win rate but what math do you have to prove. The stars rebuys tourneys have approx 800 to 1200 people but making the top 3 is where the real profit is at. The one value i can see in this strategy is that the only real profit in tournies is in making the final 5. nobody makes a living in tournies just barely finishing in the money alot

binions
01-23-2005, 01:58 PM
There is the EMarkM school, and the Jennicide school. Each has its merits:

EMarkM school:

There is $47-52 in the pot for every player remaining at the break in the 10R. You can play selectively aggressive, and usually build a decent stack for $31-51. Final tables can be made and tournaments can be won from $5K-$12K at the break. A huge stack at the break is nice, but even aces get cracked, and you are always 2 bad beats away from getting broke. So don't overpay for the big stack in the first hour. If you routinely pay more than $51, you are paying too much "rake."

This style of play works if you think about bankroll.

Jennicide school:

I am one of the best players on Stars. I know how to play a big stack. I want to build a huge chip stack in the first hour, or chip up my table in hopes of catching hands in the second hour. I don't mind paying $150-200 in entry fees, because the extra $150 gives me a better shot to finish in the top 3 where the all money is.

This style works if you are a great player who knows how to win tournaments (ie play well when it gets down to 2 tables and the final table )and you don't have bankroll concerns.

As you can see, one pays $40 on average, and the other pays $175. Over 100 tournaments, thats $13,500 that the Jennicide player is in the hole. You HAVE to be able make 2-3 more final 3s per 100 tourneys vs. EMarkM style in order just to break even.

But you don't take all that risk to just break even. You have to feel like that the Jennicide style will give you 5-6 MORE top 3 finishes per 100 tourneys than the EMarkM style to take the risk.

I am sure there will be stretches where the Jennicide player will make the final 3 5-6 more times per 100 than the EMarkM player. I am also sure there will be stretches where the Jennicide player won't.

Bottom line, you have to be a great player (we are talking 5-10% top 3 finishes in tournaments where 600-1100 sign up) with a vast bankroll to play the Jennicide way.

For most, the EMarkM way works better.

KUjayhawk08
01-23-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't play on pstars, but I agree the way to play rebuys is to just have fun during the first hour. I play on UB, but all the successful players seem to have no problem rebuying 10 times or so. Just last week I rebought 12 times in a $10 rebuy, FINALLY having my 56s hold up against KK for a 12k chip pot. I then went on to win the tournament - table inflation, getting action when I had hands, etc. - all because of a fun $120 1st hour.

KUjayhawk08
01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Also if you don't have the bankroll, you can play extremely tight and hope a big hand will hold up against a "crazy" player. If you don't get a couple big hands the first hour, however, you will most likely be quite short stacked relative to the rest of your table. I say avoid rebuys unless you're willing to rebuy at least 2 or 3 times plus an addon.

Roman
01-23-2005, 03:39 PM
I think you are overestimating how much Jen and the like spend on rebuys. Some days the cards come right away and you dont need to rebuy more than once... I would say that the average crazies spend rebuying is like 7-9x the buyin.

jimymat
01-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Thats how rebuys work, lose the first hour, tighten up after rebuy is over.

sloth469
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
bump