PDA

View Full Version : Draw Poker Situation

Dan Rutter
01-23-2005, 03:14 AM
I was playing in a two table draw tournament tonight. It was no limit draw, no joker. Blinds were used instead of antes. At the time we were 4 handed, I raised under the gun with A A 10 10 8. I rasied approxmately 3 times the BB. The BB called and drew one. I drew one, and did not improve. He checked to me without peaking at his card, I was fairly certain he was on a straight or flush draw. Should I bet for value?

beset7
01-23-2005, 03:39 AM
This would be player dependent for me but I would probably bet 1/4 to 1/2 the pot for value and then see how he reacts when he checks his card in order to prepare myself for a re-raise. He might just be setting you up for a big bluff. How deep was his stack in relation to yours?

Dan Rutter
01-23-2005, 02:51 PM
He had a bigger stack then mine, but I am not sure of the exact numbers. I would say he would bluff me less then 20% of the time as a check raise. Probably even less then that.

Ogre
01-24-2005, 12:59 AM
check behind because he won't call a bet when he misses and he will raise when he has it.

Snoogins47
01-24-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing in a two table draw tournament tonight. It was no limit draw, no joker. Blinds were used instead of antes. At the time we were 4 handed, I raised under the gun with A A 10 10 8. I rasied approxmately 3 times the BB. The BB called and drew one. I drew one, and did not improve. He checked to me without peaking at his card, I was fairly certain he was on a straight or flush draw. Should I bet for value?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play draw hardly at all... but

Seeing as you're fairly certain he's on a draw, you should only bet for value if he's 1)not likely to check-raise an amount that you can't call, and 2)likely to call your bet if he made a medium/high pair.

Seeing as you raised coming in, if you thought he was on a draw, I can't say that betting serves much purpose at all here. If you thought there was a good chance he had two pair, it's a different story entirely.

In most circumstances, I think the villain here will realize "Hey, he raised coming in and drew one, chances are he's got two pair or is disguising trips." and thus makes your value bet stand to gain nothing, since he will not pay you off if he paired up Kings or Aces on a missed flush/straight draw, but he might well take a shot at you if he missed, as well as possibly raising if he hit as well. Then do you call?

Very opponent dependent, but given the information, I absolutely hate a bet here.

Yads
01-24-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check behind because he won't call a bet when he misses and he will raise when he has it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how could it be a bet for value if you think he's on a draw? If he made his hand he'll raise you, if he didn't he'll fold.

Nick_Foxx
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
no way... if you are certain he is on a flush/straight draw there is no way you should bet here, because he will fold if he missed and raise if he hit... not only that, but since it is no limit, he could check raise a tremendous amount on a bluff, which would give you an incredibly hard decision

check it down, no question about it

mike

Al Mirpuri
01-26-2005, 10:20 AM
What do you mean bet for value? He is only going to call if he has made his hand which he has not. However, if is really tricky then you are looking at a raise when you bet. No bet unless you are a registered charity.