PDA

View Full Version : Future Demise of Ebay

Ipodkid
01-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Hey guys I am a member of Pesa formerly Ebay elite and there is a big storm a brewing within our group to leave Ebay and look for greener pastures. Pesa contains the top 500 grossing / listing items available sellers on Ebay. Our group does over a billion a year in net sales and pays ebay in the millions to host our items and provide no customer support. It has gotten so bad in fact that many of the members are participating in a pick how low Ebay stock will be by Feb contest! The sky is falling and all us Platinum and Titanium powersellers are running for the hills it seems. Overstock has called my office every week since they started their big ad campaign...anyone think they can fly?

ilya
01-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Which eBay competitor is financing this painfully transparent viral marketing campaign?

eric5148
01-23-2005, 03:28 AM
How many Super Duper Platinum Gold Pimpin Power Sellers were there when Ebay first opened?

Alobar
01-23-2005, 03:51 AM
ebay doesnt exist nor did it make millions because of your little group, and ebay will still exist and still make millions after your little group leaves

BradleyT
01-23-2005, 09:01 AM
WTF do you need support for? I've been on eBay for almost 5 years and have never needed to contact support.

[censored]
01-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Are you [censored] retarded? Seriously it will be a matter of weeks before you little club comes crawling right back to ebay. Where the [censored] do you think you are going to sell your beanie babies and make-up kits>

Ipodkid
01-23-2005, 10:16 AM
we actually represent over 3% of thier quarterly profits. 3% of billions is lots of cash guys. And if you were a seller of the magnitude we are *1000s of items a week you would see the need for support directly.

[censored]
01-23-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we actually represent over 3% of thier quarterly profits. 3% of billions is lots of cash guys. And if you were a seller of the magnitude we are *1000s of items a week you would see the need for support directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What % of YOUR sales come from ebay sales?

Cubswin
01-23-2005, 10:54 AM
What % of YOUR sales come from ebay sales?

Im going to guess its close to 100% /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wake up CALL
01-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the insight, I plan on buying some E-Bay calls. Their stock is sure to skyrocket now. Always be a contrain if you wish to make the real money. Oh, BTW, I never buy your products so I'll not miss you anymore than E-Bay will.

Ipodkid
01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
My Total ebay figure for 2004 include an ASP of 39.00 per item with total listings of 430,000 listings in 12 mnoths. My % of sales on ebay vs our stores and sites...ebay is about 60% of our business. When they raise fees even .10 on Buy it now it costs my business 40,000 dollars a year to our bottom line. I am sure none of the intellectual invalids on this post would even understand what ASP is.

AngryCola
01-23-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure none of the intellectual invalids on this post would even understand what ASP is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do most of them care.

I know that I don't.

Homer
01-23-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My Total ebay figure for 2004 include an ASP of 39.00 per item with total listings of 430,000 listings in 12 mnoths. My % of sales on ebay vs our stores and sites...ebay is about 60% of our business. When they raise fees even .10 on Buy it now it costs my business 40,000 dollars a year to our bottom line. I am sure none of the intellectual invalids on this post would even understand what ASP is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, it's an acronym. Tell us what the letters stand for and we just might be able to understand it.

daryn
01-23-2005, 02:48 PM
i bet you have to go to BUSINESS SCHOOL to learn that?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Lazymeatball
01-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm gonna take a guess and say Average Sale Price. However, an acronym for some niche market is hardly an intellectual endeavor. My workplace has acronyms too. Do you know what a TPLO, FHO, or MPL is, or what the difference between ARF and CRF is? Intellectual, ha.

Alobar
01-23-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure none of the intellectual invalids on this post would even understand what ASP is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do most of them care.

I know that I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, we are all to busy filling out TPS reports

Homer
01-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Stop making fun of this guy. He is a three-card poker expert (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1547639&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1).

Ipodkid
01-23-2005, 03:38 PM
ASP is indeed average sale price...not tough boys. As for being a 3 card poker expert I am not. I am however very wealthy from many online endeavors which most of you are not educated enough to even be debriefed on. I am mearly pointing out that Ebay is not the Juggernaut that it once was and soon will be 2nd fiddle at best.

sfer
01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Ebay's quarterly profits are not in the billions. They range in the neighborhood of $200 MM per quarter.

Lazymeatball
01-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ASP is indeed average sale price...not tough boys. As for being a 3 card poker expert I am not. I am however very wealthy from many online endeavors which most of you are not educated enough to even be debriefed on. I am mearly pointing out that Ebay is not the Juggernaut that it once was and soon will be 2nd fiddle at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

but is you peener bigger then vehn's?

mmbt0ne
01-23-2005, 03:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I'm gonna take a guess and say Average Sale Price. However, an acronym for some niche market is hardly an intellectual endeavor. My workplace has acronyms too. Do you know what a TPLO, FHO, or MPL is, or what the difference between ARF and CRF is? Intellectual, ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

pshhh, that's nothing. I had to work with the DDK and TCL for a semester while co-oping. Needless to say, the SRs and PMs didn't like us co-ops since we knew jack [censored], but they were just SOL.

daryn
01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
ARF

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i know that one. you work in an animal hospital right? that's the sound a dog makes.

Shoe
01-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Why all the anger in this thread towards ipodkid? Ebay has just announced that they are jacking up their fees A LOT.

Before the final value fee on a $39 item (not including listing/buy it now and other fees) would be about $1.70. With the new fees, that would increase to $2.70. That is almost a 60% fee increase, and that does not even include the other fees that they are increasing, such as buy it now, gallery, 10-day listings, etc....

If I was a regular seller on ebay I would be absolutely pissed too. I am pissed about the new fees and only sell occassionally on ebay. I hope the regular sellers are able to move as much business as possible to other auction sites.

ebay got way too greedy with these new fee hikes, and they have sure opened the door to their competition. I hope it comes back to bite them.

Ipodkid
01-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why all the anger in this thread towards ipodkid? Ebay has just announced that they are jacking up their fees A LOT.

I would bet Jealousy. Most of these losers hope to win 30 bucks a day to cover their apartment and gas. Myself I make that ever 30 seconds a day. Thanks for the heads up!

ThaSaltCracka
01-23-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would bet Jealousy. Most of these losers hope to win 30 bucks a day to cover their apartment and gas. Myself I make that ever 30 seconds a day. Thanks for the heads up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its because you are a damn jerk store.

Lazymeatball
01-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Acute Renal Failure

Homer
01-23-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have a free iPod?

rusellmj
01-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe this can help get Overstock further off the ground. I go there as an alternate, but it has a long way to go to become the monster Ebay is. Rarley find what I need. I have no idea about Ebay's numbers or their financial situation, but every business has the job of increasing revenue. It would appear, that since they rent space, they either have to rent more space or increase the rent to make more money. Since I only use ebay to purchase, I have a hard time believing that these costs won't be passed along to the consumer anyway. PM me a link to your store and I'll check out your stuff.

PM

plaster8
01-23-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
most of you are not educated enough to even be debriefed on. I am mearly

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not educated enough. Hmm. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wake up CALL
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of these losers hope to win 30 bucks a day to cover their apartment and gas. Myself I make that ever 30 seconds a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes pretty close to 3,153,600 per year. Pardon us while we bow to your superior intellect and earning ability.

Ulysses
01-23-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of these losers hope to win 30 bucks a day to cover their apartment and gas. Myself I make that ever 30 seconds a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes pretty close to 3,153,600 per year. Pardon us while we bow to your superior intellect and earning ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're off by a factor of 10. ipodkid is really rich.

Ipodkid
01-24-2005, 12:26 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt say rich but last year our business generated total sales over 62 million in gross.

tek
01-24-2005, 10:09 AM
And you are at this forum because???

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldnt say rich but last year our business generated total sales over 62 million in gross.

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize gross revenues mean nothing? Lotta Internet companies lose money on every sale and try to make it up on volume. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayfare
01-24-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of really rich people who aren't total douchebags.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of really rich people who aren't total douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]
And vice versa.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee. A whole 3% of their profits?

Sound to me that they'll easily replace your revenue with the new rate increases.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few of things. How long can you hold out w/o Ebay? How long can the other sellers? Are you really willing to walk for good? What if your new site doesn't attract the buyers? Is everyone on board? 3% of their profits is actually quite a bit, but it would hardly mean Ebay's demise. Still, a 3% drop in profits would crush their stock. This whole thing reminds me of union negotiations. Who can hold out longer, you or Ebay? Interesting...

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-24-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who can hold out longer, you or Ebay? Interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who can hold out longer, you or Ebay? Interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Financially absolutely. The point is do they want to? If (and I'm saying I believe this will happen) 3% of earnings really disappears, the stock gets crushed. They'd get a lot of pressure from investors, not to mention management's own stock is worth less. That's the real pressure.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 11:58 AM
The stock won't get crushed if 3% of teh existing revenue goes away. They still grow their revenues by more that 20% a year for the next 3 years.

Source (http://http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/analyst/earnest.asp?Page=EarningsEstimates&amp;Symbol=EBAY)

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The stock won't get crushed if 3% of teh existing revenue goes away. They still grow their revenues by more that 20% a year for the next 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why it would get crushed. The consensus 5-yr eps growth rate expectations is 35%. That 35% is what's built into the stock price. If you take away 3% of earnings, and the growth expected on that 3%, then doing a back-of-the-envelope valuation calculation the stock loses like $13. That's crushed! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The stock fell $20 the other day because they kissed earnings by a penny. And there were signs of a deceleration in growth. Any little hiccup and this thing gets crushed.

Ipodkid
01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
To respond to the reply about gross meaning nothing I totally agree. I will come out and let you know who we are. I am the creator of Auction Drop. Many of you have heard of us or read about our dealings with UPS latley. As for gross meaning nothing I would concur 100%. The fact is 3% of ebay earnings is very real and VERY important to the stock price which ultimatly dictates how they run their company. When I started this post it was mearly to point out that the Juggernaut that was once ebay is slowly fading as more and more sellers are moving to other channels to sell their products. I know Jayandmarie who are the top seller on Ebay at this time have even gone so far as to put their business/ their name/ and their inventory sources up for sale for the asking price of 5,000,000. The future is coming boys and 10 years from now youll say wow Rich was really right.

Rich

ArchAngel71857
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of these losers hope to win 30 bucks a day to cover their apartment and gas. Myself I make that ever 30 seconds a day. Thanks for the heads up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can make that much money in like 5 seconds! GOSH!

Yeah, Napolean, I've already made like 75 bucks today.

Ipodkid is making you all sound like friggin idiots!
<font color="white"> unless he isn't smart enought to highlite a post. Then I guess I'm the idiot </font>
-AA

BradleyT
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Isn't eBay doing their own dropoff stores? I thought I saw advertising for one in Appleton WI but wasn't sure exactly what all the billboard said.

elwoodblues
01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
How do you think you leaving Ebay would affect your sales? Don't you think your company makes money in large part because of the name recognition of the auction site in which it lists the sales. Your customers are drawn to you because you are an Ebay expert...I doubt Overstock (or another) would have the same draw.

pudley4
01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The future is coming boys and 10 years from now youll say wow Rich was really right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miss Cleo says you're wrong.