PDA

View Full Version : These guys always take my money!!!

VoxGibson
01-23-2005, 01:16 AM
not talking about the IRS (they do their fair share though)

but two particular guys who generally show up to random housegames,

they're play reminds me of gus hanson, they seem to play very loose preflop, but amazing post flop, they seem to lose minimum amounts and they're payoffs are generally huge, i think its largely to their image (because they play crap cards, you always assume your good cards are gonna make it happen) often i find myself overplaying a pair of aces with a queen or king kicker and losing to their two pair *twos and fives* or something.

Perhaps this is another aspect of implied odds that i've heard no one discuss before...

talking with one of them, (a good friend of mine) he says because he doesn't waste his time on cards, he just plays people, and occasionally the cards are lucky enough to back him up....

How does one go about beating guys of this nature, and is there a title for they're style of play...

its a combo of loose aggressive, and tight aggressive, with the option to immediate become passive...

granny50
01-23-2005, 02:03 AM
If you play recreationally, you might want to adjust to when they are in a particular pot. This adjustment might cost you some money to find out what strategy is best, but it is worth it. I remember playing a $20 buyin NL game and this guy was on a huge rush playing stupidly, but I decided instead of just calling him a lucky fish I would try and decide what he's doing really wrong and take advantage. I lost 2 buyins in the course of 4 hours (btw this is 0.10/0.25 blinds). That was the first time I've ever lost in this particular home game. But I'd learned my lesson. The next two times we played I won about $70 from him. There is no hard and fast answer to this question. If these guys are aggressive, semibluffing on the turn is what I see get a lot of respect.Of course this requires you to have a very tight table image. Depending on your image, and how loose your opponents are - you can devise a strategy (not perfect of course) to eventually make money off of them.

My first instict was to tell you to not play the game. If you are trying to make money, don't let ego get into the way. These guys are tough to beat - get better spots.

edge
01-23-2005, 03:59 AM
They sound like very strong players, and I'd advise staying out of their way unless you're holding a premium hand, where postflop play becomes easier. If you're looking to make money, don't tangle with someone who plays better than you if you can avoid it.

Kaz The Original
01-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Raising a bit more preflop against these guys cuts back some of their postflop out playing you advantage.

trapeze
01-23-2005, 05:03 AM
a few questions: is this NL or limit? what percentage of your hands sees the flop? If you are in excess of 20% NL (and aren't on a streak) then maybe you should cut back a few hands that are less than ideal. a higher flop % would be acceptable for a limit game. also, positionally, where are you in relation to these opponents when you are in a hand? if you insist on taking these guys on then at least put them on your right if possible. that way you can better choose what to do when they enter the pot. it is hard to believe that if this a NL game someone doesn't bust them out on a regular basis if they are as loose as you indicate.

VoxGibson
01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Its a NL game, usually around $100 buy in, sometimes as low as $40, they'll play any sort of buy in, one guy claims to have learned poker from a guy whose last name is Green, i guess this guy placed on the final table of a WSOP....

I always make sure im to the left of these guys, i probably play around %10 percent of my hands when up against them, less if they're both in a pot...

i have often wondered why they dont get busted,then again i have seen them busted a few times, early in the night, but as the night progresses they usually win all they're money back and then some....

but then comes in there amazing postflop play whether they're bluffing, semibluffing or holding the nuts, or fishing... its all played very similar...

however i wonder if its a blind to future bets ratio, i remember reading in TOP about playing looser if the blinds are small in relation to future bets, this thought occurred to me last time i heard one of them say "flop, cheapest cards you're going to see all night"

thanks for the advice but its very similar to how i am playing them already...

in a way, if they're looser wouldnt that allow me to loosen up my starting hand requirements?

also in order to play live games where i live, its usually limited to two home games a week, and you cant really pick and choose who is going to be there,

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kaz The Original
01-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Make sure you're not too predictable against them. Watch out for the following situations :

You turn / river a flush and bet and they fold.
You hit a set, how do you play it? Do you play it the same way every time? Do they not pay it off?
Do they only get in a pot when you have top pair top kicker or overpair when you're beat?

Watch for that. If they're folding to all your flushes, bluff flushes.
Very the way you play sets, or atleast play weak (top pair two pair) made hands the same way.
etc.