PDA

View Full Version : Black Aces vs. flop all-in

PoBoy321
01-23-2005, 12:20 AM
So I was playing in a small live tourney today, 2 tables. This hand came up which I feel I misplayed.

My read on the villain is that he's a fairly solid player but pretty straightforward with his hands. The one hand we were in together, I had AQs in MP, raise to 4X BB, he popped me back for like 10X BB. I didn't hear him say it specifically, but I'm 100% positive that he had AA (he leaned over to his friend and I heard him say "yeah, I can't believe I got it in the first hand of the tourney.").

I'm in the BB and look down to see black Aces. Villain is UTG and raises to about 6X BB. Based on his body language and his play up to this point, I'm pretty sure he's got a big pair, probably KK. It's folded back to me and I just call.

Flop comes JT3. I bet the pot and, as I expect him to do with KK, he pushes. I have him covered. What's your play.

david050173
01-23-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was playing in a small live tourney today, 2 tables. This hand came up which I feel I misplayed.

My read on the villain is that he's a fairly solid player but pretty straightforward with his hands. The one hand we were in together, I had AQs in MP, raise to 4X BB, he popped me back for like 10X BB. I didn't hear him say it specifically, but I'm 100% positive that he had AA (he leaned over to his friend and I heard him say "yeah, I can't believe I got it in the first hand of the tourney.").

I'm in the BB and look down to see black Aces. Villain is UTG and raises to about 6X BB. Based on his body language and his play up to this point, I'm pretty sure he's got a big pair, probably KK. It's folded back to me and I just call.

Flop comes JT3. I bet the pot and, as I expect him to do with KK, he pushes. I have him covered. What's your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. Personally I would have raised preflop. If he has KK he isn't laying it down.

KenProspero
01-23-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question. You have AA, flop isn't particulary scary. You made a significant bet believing that Villian had a significant hand, Villian's push perhaps confirms your belief that he has a significant hand. By definition, Villian didn't start with a better hand than your AA, and you have no more reason to think he has two pair or trips than when you raised the pot.

So, unless I've misread or missed something, you push. What's the alternative?

adanthar
01-23-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say 'call' and then 'stop posting bad beat stories about losing to JJ'

PoBoy321
01-23-2005, 02:05 AM
I didn't really mean to post this as a bad beat story. I really meant more about my pre-flop play. Clearly, if he has KK, he wouldn't lay it down, but he might get away from QQ, JJ, etc. I feel that I misplayed it before the flop, and then after the flop, and I forgot to include this in my read, a very aggressive move from someone who, up to that point had been pretty passive.

ilya
01-23-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really mean to post this as a bad beat story. I really meant more about my pre-flop play. Clearly, if he has KK, he wouldn't lay it down, but he might get away from QQ, JJ, etc. I feel that I misplayed it before the flop, and then after the flop, and I forgot to include this in my read, a very aggressive move from someone who, up to that point had been pretty passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really want him to release QQ/JJ preflop when you have AA?

PoBoy321
01-23-2005, 02:31 AM
No, obviously I don't. My point was that by reraising pre-flop, he might, which is why I only called.

ilya
01-23-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, obviously I don't. My point was that by reraising pre-flop, he might, which is why I only called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right, that makes sense.
Sorry, I'm running low on sleep.

PoBoy321
01-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Don't worry about it, so am I. Basically, I feel that I misplayed this hand, mostly before the flop. This player was fairly straightforward, but thinking. A reraise from the BB would have defined my hand too clearly. In retrospect, I think that I could have reraised pre-flop, defined my hand to him, which would have allowed me to go into some 3rd-level thinking and lay down.

BTW, he had TT, for anyone who cares.

Phoenix1010
01-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I would have reraised if they were the red aces.