PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get allin?

JFALCON
01-23-2005, 12:08 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($93.95)
Button ($69.75)
SB ($63.80)
BB ($100)
Hero ($100)
MP1 ($64.80)
MP2 ($34.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $6</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($17) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, CO calls $15.

River: ($67) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, CO calls $25.

Final Pot: $117

What is the best way for me to play this hand? C/r flop? Bet out and go over the top on the flop? is my way ok?

istewart
01-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Reraise the flop. He likes his hand, he'll come along with you. You might want to lead the turn and push if raised. Not too bad.

soah
01-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Your bets and raises are too small throughout the hand. Had you bet $4 on the flop (and still been min-raised) and raised to $30 on the turn you'd be looking at an $81 pot on the river and your opponent would have like $55 left. You can get all-in that way without having to overbet the pot at any point.

GimmeDaWatch
01-23-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your bets and raises are too small throughout the hand. Had you bet $4 on the flop (and still been min-raised) and raised to $30 on the turn you'd be looking at an $81 pot on the river and your opponent would have like $55 left. You can get all-in that way without having to overbet the pot at any point.

[/ QUOTE ]

$67 in the pot on the river and you have, what, $68 left? Moving in is pretty simple. Personally I think your line is ok, b/c the board is not drawish and you dont want to blow him off a hand like AJ on the flop. Just raise a bit more on the turn and then move in on the river. Once he's called a big turn raise, he'll often talk himself into a call on the river (or insta-call /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

soah
01-23-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm looking at it from the perspective that he put in $6 on the flop... on the turn he put in $10.... then he put in a separate $15.... a river push is asking him to call $68 now all at once.

With that line you're asking him to call 4.5x as much on the river as on the turn... with my line you'd be raising him another $20 on the turn and then putting in another $55 on the river. I think this pattern has a much better chance of sucking him in for all his chips. Even a weak player can find a fold on the river when you suddenly bring out a cannon after betting it soft on the previous streets. By betting just slightly harder on the early steets you still don't give him a chance to get away from top pair, and the river push doesn't feel nearly as out of place.

jimdmcevoy
01-23-2005, 03:01 AM
The problem with just calling on the flop is that you will scare him on the turn with a stop-n-go or checkraise.

Re-raising the flop is a good way to represent a hand that is ok but you are afraid to see any overcards. I reckon if you raise another $5-$10 (I know it's a small bet, but in my experience they never fold to it) you can keep the lead on the turn.

Now you simply bet out about 3/4 of the pot on the turn and river. By the river the pot will be larger than your stack, and you simply push.

After all, if he was willing to call a checkraise on the turn, he would have gone all in this way I reckon.