PDA

View Full Version : 5th step bubble---thoughts on my play of this hand

tomscuba
01-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Bought into first level and worked up to level 5. 6 left, big stack is 2200, I´m small stacked at 940, blinds are 300-150. I find K-9 UTG and go all in.
I feel good about the play--tho I was called by pocket 8´s and got no help. My thinking is in that situation I need to attack, in 1 hand my raises won´t be effective, and the chances I can steal are increased as the bubble is upon everyone. I´m also relying on the gap concept.

Thoughts on the play?

I´m a half glass of whisky later, so sorry if the post sounds--uuuh---drunk.

Cheers,
tomscuba

J-Lo
01-23-2005, 12:46 AM
that's perfectley fine, if your are an $11 player, then taking coinflips vs better players is +EV...

ericlambi
01-23-2005, 01:43 AM
I would be disgusted at having to push UTG with K9o with 6 players left, but I don't think you had any other option in this scenario. It's probably best to look at the play that lead you to being in that situation in the first place to see if there is something you could have done differently.

Scuba Chuck
01-23-2005, 01:45 AM
UTG is usually not a fine place to make this play, but considering ur chipstack and upcoming blinds...

that being said, where was the 2nd smallest stack, and how many chips did that person have?

ilya
01-23-2005, 01:54 AM
No sooner do I check this thread than I find myself UTG+1 with K9 and 3.5xbb...all-in...called by 88....

As far as advice...I've never even managed to make it to a STEP4, so I'll just STFU.

tomscuba
01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. As I´m SS with 3 BB´s left, high stack is with 7BB´s left---therefore 2nd stack through 5th are all in the same frame of mind. Exellent point about how I got to that point. You always look back and wonder if you should´ve tried a steal with Q,J on the last orbit. And you realise you shouldn´t have. (maybe?)

Heres the 4,500dollar question----when do you go from playing not to lose to playing to win.

Thanks again for the posts and intelligent comments.

networkman
01-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I've not played any steps yet and play mainly 30+3's but I'd probly do the same thing. Sure you could've mucked and got a big hand in the blinds but sometimes you gotta make a play...

ChrisV
01-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Easy push. Any king is a push here. Use the Gap.

HUSKER'66
01-23-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy push. Any king is a push here. Use the Gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

And pray that players that have reached step 5 know, understand, and respect the gap concept. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Husker

Voltron87
01-23-2005, 02:46 PM
That's rough, but you didn't really have a choice. you have 640 more than the BB so you have some force with your push, but if you wait for your BB you only have 640 after posting, and since you are last to act preflop next hand you will have a hard time getting a good headsup push that might be folded to, so you have to go with K9.