PDA

View Full Version : Help with Aleomagus style SNG play?

Teapot777
01-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi all,

I play mosty 1.10 and 5.50 NHLE SNG's om UB.
I try to follow the excellent guide on beating the Party 10+1 by AleoMagus.

My problem is this...
Sometimes the cards don't come according to his criteria.
I fold, fold, fold and get ante'd away. By the time I get to 5th or 4th place my stack is so depleted that I can't make "moves" with any power behind them.
How can I get a reasonable chip stack but not stray from the guidelines?
I'm OK changing gears and getting aggressive when in the money ( perhaps too agressive , but that's another story ).

Thanks in advance.

nebben
01-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I play Aleo's method, and it works for me. Often, I go entire games without seeing premium hands, but you have to remember that the hands are level specific. While you would only play AK, big pockets (99 and up) and occasionally AQ, as well as limping with certain suited connectors in position in levels 1-2, when you get to level 5 and you only have 6 bb, it is time to look for a reasonable hand and start pushing when you can. Any blinds you steal are going to help you, and many people call with patently unreasonable hands. Sometimes, of course, you will get busted by monsters, but how long were you giong to last with 6BB anyway right? Hope this helps. If you wanted to send me some of your tournament summaries, I would be happy to return look over them.

elonkra
01-23-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

I play mosty 1.10 and 5.50 NHLE SNG's om UB.
I try to follow the excellent guide on beating the Party 10+1 by AleoMagus.

My problem is this...
I fold, fold, fold and get ante'd away. By the time I get to 5th or 4th place my stack is so depleted that I can't make "moves" with any power behind them.
How can I get a reasonable chip stack but not stray from the guidelines?
I'm OK changing gears and getting aggressive when in the money ( perhaps too agressive , but that's another story ).

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway you can direct me to somewhere on this forum that I might find this guide posted? I did a search using aleomagus's name, but found no guide. Thanks.

Phil Van Sexton
01-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Beating Party 10/1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=602767& fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your opponents are folding to most steal attempts, does it matter what your cards are? You put all your chips in with KTs, but fold K9o because that's what the guide says?

Aleo's posts are just a guideline. Every tournament/situation is different. If your opponents are tight, you can steal with anything.

If they call, it will be with a huge hand, so you are likely screwed whether you have KT or 72. Sure, you'd rather than a decent hand, but remember you are *stealing* blinds....you don't expect to be called.

You must recognize when you will soon be too shortstacked to make a move. If you see an opportunity, you should push with any 2 cards before this happens.

Scuba Chuck
01-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Teapot, the reason you are failing is because the guideline really only helps in levels 1-3. And you begin to get a "feel" for how to approach levels 4+.

You need to read more 2+2 on bubble play. Your skill in levels 4+ is about playing position and your understanding of "the gap concept" (sometimes referred to as TGC) will help you.

Beyond that, start posting some single HH's where you'd want to know if you should be pushing or not.