PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Rocky movie

[censored]
01-22-2005, 08:47 PM
So I'm watching a Rocky IV on TNT and as the robot brings Paulie a beer to 80's dance musis I start thinking how ridiculously awesome the 4 Rocky movies are.

Your favorite and why?

tolbiny
01-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Lol-
so happy you ignored Rocky 5.

Rocky one is the best with rocky 2 a close second.

Tron
01-22-2005, 08:58 PM
WORD. Rocky V, what a piece of trash. Weren't they making a Rocky VI?

slickpoppa
01-22-2005, 08:59 PM
weird, i was gonna make this exact same poll. anyway, my vote is for IV

Tron
01-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I also voted for Rocky IV... The montage where Rocky is training in the mountains and Drago is in the high-tech facility is definitely my favorite of the series. The fight is great, too.

[censored]
01-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Rocky III is my favorite but it's close.

You have Rocky's only loss combined with the death of Micky setting up a tremendous rematch with perhaps the best villian of them all in "hey pretty lady why don't you come here so I can show what it is like to be with a real man" Clubber Lang.

[censored]
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm watching IV right damn it is good. I am in the middle of the Apollo entrance with James Brown. Classic. I I Live in America Plus his death was perhaps the most startling moment of the series. Throw the damn towell

Wes ManTooth
01-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I cann't believe that this even has to be discussed; this is a given, Rocky IV by far the best... well unless your a commi

Duke
01-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I voted for 4 because of the entertainment value and the fact that when I was 12 I bore an eerie resemblance to Dolph Lundgren (though I was only 6'1" when I was 12 and far less buff).

But the first one had some phenomenal scenes. It really did. I think it's the only one that was worthy of high critical praise.

And 5 wasn't a good film by any stretch, but I liked the "there and back again" aspect that it added to the series.

~D

holeplug
01-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Rocky IV. You just can't go against Rocky single handingly ending the cold war /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

A_C_Slater
01-22-2005, 09:44 PM
What's great about Rocky IV is every single line that comes out of Drago's mouth.

"If he dies, he dies."

"I must break you."

"He is not human. It is like hitting... a piece of iron." (in Russian)

"I fight for me! For me!!!" (In Russian)

Gatts
01-22-2005, 10:19 PM
WTF? Rocky's I easily the best one.

WC64
01-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Rocky IV, just because of the training part.

quadzilla
01-22-2005, 10:28 PM
III is my favorite.

Thunderlips - "Witness the ultimate male versus the ultimate meatball."

fnord_too
01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Honestly, I've only watched the first one. I didn't think any sequel could live up to it (I may watch 2-4 at some point since everyone here is so keen on them).

The first one is just great because the characters are so damn real. I mean Rocky's whole goal is just to go the distance, no illusions about winning, just to prove that he is not a complete loser in life. And Hollywood let the film end without a miricle underdog come from behind victory. (The only other movie like that that leaps to mind is The Bad News Bears, which is also great).

The first one was just a fantastic movie all around. I am a bit leary about ruining it, but I guess I will give the others a go at some point.

fnord_too
01-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh, and my favorite scene has got to be the one where he is sitting on the bed and has come to the realization that there is no way he can win, but maybe he can not be a joke. Great stuff.

Toro
01-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Like my apartment Mick? It stinks!

Leo99
01-22-2005, 11:27 PM
The first one is the best and one with his kid is the worst. But the big Russian does have some great lines such as, "I must break you."

Toro
01-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Trivia question: What's the last line Rocky says in Rocky I. (I think it sums up how great the writing was.)

[censored]
01-22-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I've only watched the first one. I didn't think any sequel could live up to it (I may watch 2-4 at some point since everyone here is so keen on them).

The first one is just great because the characters are so damn real. I mean Rocky's whole goal is just to go the distance, no illusions about winning, just to prove that he is not a complete loser in life. And Hollywood let the film end without a miricle underdog come from behind victory. (The only other movie like that that leaps to mind is The Bad News Bears, which is also great).

The first one was just a fantastic movie all around. I am a bit leary about ruining it, but I guess I will give the others a go at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you would 2-4 then as it completely lacks everything you seemingly liked about 1. In order to enjoy 2-4 you have watch them as say a wrestling fan watches WWE. It's very over the top and easy to pick apart.

[censored]
01-22-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trivia question: What's the last line Rocky says in Rocky I. (I think it sums up how great the writing was.)

[/ QUOTE ]

"We did it"?

or was it

"I don't want any rematch"

realwtf
01-22-2005, 11:43 PM
I love you...that is what he said I think not saying that to you.

Toro
01-22-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"We did it"?

or was it

"I don't want any rematch"

[/ QUOTE ]

Adrain had a hard time getting into the ring. During the struggle, she lost her hat. She finally gets there and after all that's happened Rocky manages to say "where's your hat?".

Priceless

TimM
01-22-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums it up. Rocky is awesome. 2-4 are just somewhat entertaining movies. It's not close.

Note that in all of the sequels, Rocky and the Bears (IIRC) always win.

PhatPots
01-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Rocky 4 without a doubt is the best. Sly is buffest and you want to train after seeing it

jakethebake
01-23-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky 4 without a doubt is the best. Sly is buffest and you want to train after seeing it

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really watchingf to see how buff sly is. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dynasty
01-23-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love you...that is what he said I think not saying that to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I love you" is Rocky's last line. It's where the movie was going the whole time. That's why the judge's decision are barely audible in the background- it's not nearly as important.

Rick Diesel
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I am happy to see that you did not give the option to vote for the fifth movie, because we all know that movie never really happened.

Rick Diesel
01-23-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You have Rocky's only loss

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you skip over Rocky I.

A_C_Slater
01-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Whenever I come over the top of someone and put them to an all in decision in a No limit cash game I always say, "I must break you," in my best Drago voice.

I am so cool. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sfer
01-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I cried when Apollo died. I was 10. Effing Communists.

Dynasty
01-23-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people forget. Since winning or losing isn't the point of the original Rocky, I suppose it's not so bad.

DukeSucks
01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky IV, just because of the training part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the only time I've seen an entire movie theater start clapping and cheering was when Rocky beat Drago.

A_C_Slater
01-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah. I saw it at the drive in and everyone was honking their horns in unison when Rocky started pummeling the big Russian. Goddamn Commie bastards!!!

Dynasty
01-23-2005, 03:50 PM
These poll results are sad. Rocky IV was the worst of the four films in the poll.

The rankings on www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com) are:

Rocky: 7.8/10
Rocky II: 6.2/10
Rocky III: 5.7/10
Rocky IV: 5.2/10
Rocky V: 4.0/10

I agree with the order of these rankings. Although, I give Rocky II more credit.

[censored]
01-23-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that was a draw for some reason and in many ways that was not a defeat.

Dynasty
01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that was a draw for some reason and in many ways that was not a defeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the fact that Rocky's opponent was declared the winner.

[censored]
01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am happy to see that you did not give the option to vote for the fifth movie, because we all know that movie never really happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I went with Sports Guy rules.

[censored]
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These poll results are sad. Rocky IV was the worst of the four films in the poll.

I agree with the order of these rankings. Although, I give Rocky II more credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is any doubt that critically Rocky I is far and away the better movie, but it is not my favorite.

fnord_too
01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is any doubt that critically Rocky I is far and away the better movie, but it is not my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMDB rankings are based on normal people voting, not critical ratings.

Dynasty
01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The voters on this forum sure are doubting it.