PDA

View Full Version : Cat5 jacks inside houses? how does this work?

BusterStacks
01-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Ok, the place where I'm staying has Cat5e (ethernet) jacks at every cable outlet. Are these just connected to eachother throughout the house? Is there some kind of router somewhere? I have no clue, but they don't get internet. Anyone seen this before?

_2000Flushes
01-22-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, the place where I'm staying has Cat5e (ethernet) jacks at every cable outlet. Are these just connected to eachother throughout the house? Is there some kind of router somewhere? I have no clue, but they don't get internet. Anyone seen this before?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wired my house with cat5 before everything went wireless. Most likely, all the jacks lead back to a router which is connected to a cable/DSL modem.

I guess it's possible that they just don't want Internet access. But you don't see too many houses wired just for an isolated network. That would kind of weird me out.

It's also possible that there is broken cable between your outlet and the router. Or the router could be configured to only allow certain IP addresses. Also, if all the jacks are in the same wallplate as the coax outlets, there may not even be any wiring attached to them. I'd unscrew one and check.

-2kF