PDA

View Full Version : NBA 1/22

01-22-2005, 05:28 PM
YTD (posted) 16-9

1. Washington +6 @ Indiana

Indiana's record in second of back-to-backs something like 4-8. They are coming off big OT win last night in MIA. Meanwhile Washington was hardly tested in blitzing TOR and their record in road back-to-backs is not a cause for concern. I think 6 is too many under these circumstances. IND may win but WAS should give them a game.

2. Utah - 1 1/2 (Memphis)

Memphis lost last night in Denver, while Utah is well-rested. They get Kirilenko back tonight, although he's supposed to play only 5 minutes a half. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more in the 2nd half if he feels OK. Like Utah to win by between 4 and 8.

MicroBob
01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Memphis is in a state of emotional turmoil right now.

Their play-by-play announcer Don Poier died of a heart-attack in his hotel room yesterday morning in Denver (only 53 years old).
He had broadcast virtually every Grizzlies game (dating back to their days in Vancouver) and was always there at every practice and shoot-around, etc.

He was pretty good friends with a lot of the players and was very much considered 'the heart' of the Grizzlies since he had been with them from the very beginning.

So....everyone was really shocked and I think it HAD to be a factor in their 10-point loss at Denver last night.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this will effect the Grizz for tonight's game....but I thought it was a factor in yesterday's performance that might be worth bringing up.

I don't think they were prepared to do anything of the 'win this one for Don' type of thing for yesterday's game at Denver because many of the players didn't find out until they boarded the bus right before heading from the hotel to the arena shortly before game-time.

Very emotional stuff those guys are going through right now and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are able to more precisely channel that emotional energy for tonight's game after having a night to sleep off the initial shock, etc.

plus_man
01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
16-9 is a good record. Be ready for a ton of bad luck starting today though. I'm betting on your picks as of now and i curse everything I touch. Just watch.

MicroBob
01-22-2005, 06:06 PM
1-8 last two days so here goes nothing.

I once again am finding value in WAY too many games so that obviously means I'll have another piss-poor day.

MEM +2
CHI +7.5
WAS +5.5
MIN -3.5
CLE -3

plus_man
01-22-2005, 06:10 PM
dont worry about anything. Ill just take the opposite of what you do microbob and you'll do fine.

CCx
01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
i actually like the memphis pick tonight - utah just traded promising point guard arroyo, and memphis just got dealt with by denver - i like them in this spot tonight

01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Arroyo was not playing for them, so I don't consider his loss of any value for them other than maybe a player short on the bench until the fruits of the trade show up. I'm too far removed from the MEM thing, but I was aware of the announcer's death last night and just didn't think that today's player would be all that affected by it on the floor. If Bob is right, MEM must be totally drained emotionally and I would question whether they could be effective in the 2nd of a back to back ... but I don't really put too much weight on the death of the announcer thing. More on Kirilenko's return, albeit probably abbreviated.

01-22-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
16-9 is a good record. Be ready for a ton of bad luck starting today though. I'm betting on your picks as of now and i curse everything I touch. Just watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads up. If things go south as of today, not a problem. I'll just find you and kill you.

ttleistdci
01-22-2005, 07:06 PM
This is a first...I'm betting ON the Celtics -3.5 @ Atlanta. The Celts are 5-15 on the road and the Hawks are 5-15 at home. I like the Celts to pull this one out.

Also took Memphis on the road and, for the hell of it, a teaser on Washington (+10.5) and Chicago (+12.5). I think both teams have a chance to cover the normal spread so shouldn't have a problem covering the teaser.

CCx
01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arroyo was not playing for them

[/ QUOTE ]

Arroyo only hadnt played for them in the last 6 games, before that he was a serviceable point guard averaging 8 and 5 in 24 minutes a game - I think Utah gave up on him too early, and it was a good pickup for Detroit.

01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I agree with you that they gave up on him way too early. Great trade for Detroit. But even Howard Eisley unbelievably had moved ahead of Arroyo on the depth chart.

If it wasn't for the 1/2 point I'd root for a push.

scalf
01-22-2005, 07:31 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif pure nutz tonite...6ers over...

also pacers, twolves..

cash em all

gl

/images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Some announcers...no.
This announcer...yes, I think so.

he was decent friends with many of the players.

Jason Williams talked about how he and Poier became pretty close friends very quickly when he came to the Grizzlies.
Shane Battier said similar things.

The trainer was sobbing and told the paper that he lost his very best friend.

No, the trainer doesn't play of course....but it is indicative of the general mood that prevailed in the locker-room I suspect.

Poier wasn't old or in ill-health so it wasn't like anyone would have expected anything like this.

ANY death is going to be somewhat draining of course...but moreso in the NBA I believe where these guys travel with each other A LOT in a really small party.

If it was some semi-new or really old announcer in the NFL then it would likely have no effect whatsoever on a bunch of players who probably don't know him that well.

They were a bit surprised and confused when he didn't show up for the shoot-around yesterday morning because he's ALWAYS there.
Then when they boarded the bus for the game found out about his death.

I'm not with the team so I can't say for certain how buddy-buddy 'lets-go-drinking' he was with everyone...but I am fairly certain it is a VERY emotional situation for the players.

CCx
01-22-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good pick...my sixers are killin me though, coughin one up like that

ttleistdci
01-23-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good pick...my sixers are killin me though, coughin one up like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. I bet on the Celts for the first time this year and they blow a 17 point lead to the Hawks of all teams.

anatta
01-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Missed with Jazz too.

MicroBob
01-23-2005, 02:21 AM
cough cough.....ahem ahem......

[ QUOTE ]
MEM +2
CHI +7.5
WAS +5.5
MIN -3.5
CLE -3

[/ QUOTE ]

5 for 5 today!!

You may all bow to my NBA expertise at your earliest convenience (he says creatively ignoring the fact that he was 1-8 before tongiht).

tech
01-23-2005, 04:26 AM
Bob, given your propensity for all-or-nothing results, you might want to look into parlays. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

CCx
01-23-2005, 08:54 AM
good sh!t bob, was all over that memphis game!

ttleistdci
01-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Nice plays Bob.

Just give us a heads up when you're gonna have these 5 for 5 days! I need to know when to steer clear of your picks when you're gonna go 1-8 and when to parlay em when you're gonna go 5 for 5. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

01-23-2005, 01:02 PM
consider crow eaten on MEM/UTA

YTD (posted) 17-10