PDA

View Full Version : happy pills

oddjob
01-22-2005, 05:06 PM
who here has taken them for depression. thoughts, experience, recommendations?

those that haven't, who would if you have experienced a long stint with depression?

Homer
01-22-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who here has taken them for depression. thoughts, experience, recommendations?

those that haven't, who would if you have experienced a long stint with depression?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm depressed quite often, and would never take them. I have no interest in hiding from reality.

Yeti
01-22-2005, 05:12 PM
If you broke your leg, would medical attention be 'hiding from reality'?

Homer
01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples =/= Oranges

oddjob
01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm depressed quite often, and would never take them. I have no interest in hiding from reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is kind of how i feel, but i don't want to discount anything.

Homer
01-22-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is kind of how i feel, but i don't want to discount anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. Maybe 'never' was too strong a word. I'm 'pretty sure' I'd never touch them.

wacki
01-22-2005, 05:36 PM
You guys are morons. Depression can be either genetic or a temporary condition and treatment tends to be highly successful when pursued properly. Some people are low on certain neurotransmitters, kind of like a low car battery, they just need a quick boost. When they are up and running they don't need any pills or extra help. Not seeking help/therapy is a moronic thing to do.

wacki
01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples =/= Oranges

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, you are hiding from reality. If you are supposed to have a certain concentration of dopamine, why would you not allow your brain to function properly? This conversation is stupid and exposes idiots.

eric5148
01-22-2005, 05:45 PM
If anyone here can hook me up with some of these drugs, PM me.

wacki
01-22-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone here can hook me up with some of these drugs, PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow....

Antidepressants can't be abused for recreational purposes, they don't work that way. You need to see a Psychiatrists (MD different than therapist) while taking these.

oddjob
01-22-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would rule if you were a therapist

DBowling
01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
when i was 14, i was put on prozac for depression. i was on it for about a year and a half. Then i stopped taking it, cold. I decided if i had any problems, i wanted to work through them myself. it worked out well for me. I just didnt feel like myself while taking pills.
6 years later, im a very happy go lucky guy. But who knows if i would have lived to see this day if not for prozac at the time.

wacki
01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry, you're not a moron, you are simply asking a question. Homer is the moron.

eric5148
01-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Ha ha, yeah, that's funny. C'mon bro, look at my avatar, I need some stuff. I know you got something in the back of your van, how much?

wacki
01-22-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when i was 14, i was put on prozac for depression. i was on it for about a year and a half. Then i stopped taking it, cold. I decided if i had any problems, i wanted to work through them myself. it worked out well for me. I just didnt feel like myself while taking pills.
6 years later, im a very happy go lucky guy. But who knows if i would have lived to see this day if not for prozac at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is actually quite common. You probably had something called seratonin syndrome which is similar to a drained car battery. Once it gets recharged and you get out of the self defeating cycle, you are fine.

theBruiser500
01-22-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are morons. Depression can be either genetic or a temporary condition and treatment tends to be highly successful when pursued properly. Some people are low on certain neurotransmitters, kind of like a low car battery, they just need a quick boost. When they are up and running they don't need any pills or extra help. Not seeking help/therapy is a moronic thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this. Did people used to be depressed all the time? What did they do without pills? Why would people be created with genetics that make them inherently depressed. I think genetics play a part but is a cop out answer.

theBruiser500
01-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Also maybe it's good for some people but everyone takes anti depressants, I don't see how it can be right that half the population takes them. It's not half the population I just made that up, but it's a lot of people. It sounds like you're knowledgable on this, how do you know about it? I would be interested in reading more about it, any recommendations?

Homer
01-22-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are a [censored] piece of [censored] for calling us morons for no reason.

[ QUOTE ]
Not seeking help/therapy is a moronic thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I wouldn't seek help, but I will not take drugs.

Homer
01-22-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, you're not a moron, you are simply asking a question. Homer is the moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you. Honestly, I hope you wrap your car around a telephone pole, [censored]. I seriously doubt you'd say this stuff to my face.

theBruiser500
01-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Homer relax, Wacki is a good person even though he has some crazy republican ideas and even though he just called you a moron. Make up and be friends.

wacki
01-22-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think genetics play a part but is a cop out answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. You can be depressed and still survive. Depressed people tend to sleep in, lack motivation, aren't assertive, destroy relationships, distance themselves from friends, etc. Being happy isn't crucial to survival, it is almost crucial with success though. As long as you believe in genetics and not creationism the epidemic scale of depression make perfect sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Also maybe it's good for some people but everyone takes anti depressants, I don't see how it can be right that half the population takes them. It's not half the population I just made that up, but it's a lot of people. It sounds like you're knowledgable on this, how do you know about it? I would be interested in reading more about it, any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned about depression from every angle possible which means class, work, research, and personal experience. I used to be depressed. I had seratonin syndrome which is the drained car battery effect. So I know what depression is like. I also know that there are so many people out there that have it in their minds that there is some magic pill that can solve all of their problems for them. People that think like that tend to either end up abusing drugs/sex or end up on the medical-meryy-go-round when all they need is a good old fashioned but whoopin to get their ass in gear. Most of those people tend to be leaches.

If you tell me your educational background I will try and find some reading that is on your level. Depression is a very real, and very common physiological condition. I will also admit that pharmaceutical companies aren't always behaving properly because profits are their #1 priority.

Your brain is a computer that is made from random mutations. Your computer (windows XP) was designed and not made randomly. Windows messes up all the time, now why is it so hard to believe the human brain could mess up?

Homer
01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Homer relax, Wacki is a good person even though he has some crazy republican ideas and even though he just called you a moron. Make up and be friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who feels the need to create three seperate posts to call someone a moron (twice) and idiot (once), for no apparent reason, is not a good person.

theBruiser500
01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Nice picture.

Homer
01-22-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, thanks.

wacki
01-22-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] you. Honestly, I hope you wrap your car around a telephone pole, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that already happened.

Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=probability&Number=1396685 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=light&Searchpage=0&Limit=2 5&Main=1396685&Search=true&where=sub&Name=7066&dat erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post1396685)

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt you'd say this stuff to my face.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be suprised what I would do in real life.

I like the avatar btw.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I was so hostile Homer.

Homer
01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually that already happened.

Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=probability&Number=1396685 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=light&Searchpage=0&Limit=2 5&Main=1396685&Search=true&where=sub&Name=7066&dat erange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post1396685)

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that's freaky. Obviously, I was venting and didn't really want that to happen. I hope your insurance covered the repair.

wacki
01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Homer, yes the subdivision paid for the damage.

Bruiser,

Here is an easy to follow slideshow from a MDMA website.

http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/slide1.html

This should bring you up to speed on how MDMA and reuptake inhibitors work. Antidepressants work in somewhat similar fashion. The slideshow will bring you up to speed enough for me to find other reading material for you to read. I have friends that are psychiatrists (not the fake ones) and they should be able to point me in the direction of some really good papers that aren't too difficult to read. It might take a couple of weeks so be patient. Seriously, depression isn't something to be ignored and proper treatment will greatly increase the quality of life of a depressed individual.

wacki
01-22-2005, 06:52 PM
BTW, congrats bruiser on how well you are doing at poker. It really is impressive. My but is finally in gear when it comes to studying this game so hopefully one day I will be able to sit at the same table as you. (And not get raped.)

Danielih
01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy this. Did people used to be depressed all the time? What did they do without pills? Why would people be created with genetics that make them inherently depressed. I think genetics play a part but is a cop out answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let's see. My great grandfather had really bad anxiety problems. As was the treatment at the time they told him to move to a small town and get a very laid back job. He later commited suicide.

If you think you need help, see a good psychologist/psychiatrist. These boards are not the place for medical help.

As was mentioned before. The current thinking is that certain people have chemical imbalances in their brain. Much the same way that someone with diabetes has a problem producing and using insulin some people do not produce adequate amounts of neurotransmitters. While there can be significant side effects for many people there are also lots of very famous people who have publicly said how antidepressants saved their lives (not to mention all the regular people). Then again they are not a panacea.

wacki
01-22-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
psychologist

[/ QUOTE ]

Be carefull with these guys. Anyone can be one despite lack of credentials. Good ones work wonders while the bad ones can mess you up even more.

Popinjay
01-22-2005, 07:09 PM
How do you know so much medical info anyway wacki?

wacki
01-22-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know so much medical info anyway wacki?

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1553683&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=infectious&Searchpage=0&Limit =25&Main=1546727&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=70 66&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&ol dertype=&bodyprev=#Post1553683)

Danielih
01-22-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good psychologist/psychiatrist

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Davis
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Wacki,

First off, I have the utmost respect for your posts as you are well-informed concerning the subject of any discussion you take part in. But I think you are being overly harsh here.

The idea that there is a "certain amount" of dopamine that one is supposed to have is suspect. Even if most people have one amount, that makes it normal, not correct or right or whatever.

Depressed people are often capable of disturbingly accurate interpretations of the world; I remember something from Freud's Mourning and Melancholia where he talked about the melancholic actually having a more reasonable self-image than most normal people. It may be true that the depressed focus on their own faults and the misery of the world too much, but it could also be true that normal people are hiding from reality.

Anyways, I'm not disagreeing with you that the depressed should seek out therapy or medication, but I think you are being overly simplistic regarding the notion of hiding from reality.

-Michael

scalf
01-22-2005, 08:32 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif anti-depressant meds do not make ya happy...

when they work correctly, they get you out of the rut, so ya got a chance..you still gotts to live your life..

maybe a stop at a mental health center is a possiblity??

gl

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Tosh
01-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Very interesting, now I see why my brain is broken.

wacki
01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wacki,

First off, I have the utmost respect for your posts as you are well-informed concerning the subject of any discussion you take part in. But I think you are being overly harsh here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kudo's and I've enjoyed reading your posts as well. I am being intentionally over harsh. The reason is that there is very widespread social stigma against people with these conditions. Often times it is easier/less time consuming to be overly harsh than to teach everyone some rather complex concepts. (Especially if their attitude needs adjustment.) Being harsh can encourage the lazy people to pick up a book and read. If someone asks questions like bruiser and oddjob I will point them in the right direction without being harsh. Perhaps you are right though, I just don't have the time and energy to teach everyone these complex concepts.

[ QUOTE ]
The idea that there is a "certain amount" of dopamine that one is supposed to have is suspect. Even if most people have one amount, that makes it normal, not correct or right or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I was oversimplifying things. Information processing is ridiculously complex. This is why I have been stressing proper therapy by a psychiatrist (MD) while receiving treatment.

[ QUOTE ]
Depressed people are often capable of disturbingly accurate interpretations of the world; I remember something from Freud's Mourning and Melancholia where he talked about the melancholic actually having a more reasonable self-image than most normal people. It may be true that the depressed focus on their own faults and the misery of the world too much, but it could also be true that normal people are hiding from reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true depressed people are able to spot faults. However, they often make poor decisions and lack motivation. It doesn't matter if you can identify your faults if your actions/decisions are less than stellar. Being slightly sad and being so depressed that you have trouble functioning are very different things.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways, I'm not disagreeing with you that the depressed should seek out therapy or medication, but I think you are being overly simplistic regarding the notion of hiding from reality.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I will concede. I am being over simplistic. As to which is more accurate... I will not touch that arguement.

wacki
01-22-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif anti-depressant meds do not make ya happy...

when they work correctly, they get you out of the rut, so ya got a chance..you still gotts to live your life..

maybe a stop at a mental health center is a possiblity??

gl

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, I like to say that they are simply tools that help you achieve happiness. You not only need to figure out what tool(s) are needed for the job but you have to work hard and apply them correctly or they will be useless.