PDA

View Full Version : middle limit holdem

bigmac366
01-22-2005, 03:50 PM
anyone out there read middle limit holdem by bob ciaffone. masons review was helpful, but i was wondering what some of my peers thought about it. i doubt it will be as good as SSH, but i'm always looking to improve. thanks for the input

amulet
01-22-2005, 03:52 PM
i think "middlle limit holdem" is a terrific book, that will help your game. but it.

MHarris
01-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Fantastic book. Lots of practice problems that will help you in tougher games.

onegymrat
01-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Very well written and easy to understand. Helps a lot with hand reading. Be sure to read all the intros so it will help explain their position on their style of play.

BradleyT
01-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I agree with amulet, go ahead and but it.

MattC
01-23-2005, 04:05 AM
atm this book has helped me more then any other book in my limit game, maybe its because i read stuff like HEFAP TOP a few times, played some, reread them, played some more then read middle limit holdem which really seemed to clear my mind on a lot of things. It's easier to read and its mostly just a huge amount of examples which lets you just think and reflect. The best thing that i found about this book, however, is there are so many times that i came across an example in the book that related to some hand i played at some earlier point in time that i wasnt really sure what to do yet the example posed nearly the exact same problem. Seeing a solution to a specific problem i wasnt sure about before, not just once but over and over really made me like this book. I recommend it strongly.

Chairman Wood
01-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Where can I find Mason's book reviews?

kiddo
01-23-2005, 06:13 AM
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc

kiddo
01-23-2005, 06:25 AM
I agree, its a good book. But I think that "Improve your Poker" was better. Many of the introductions before the hand examples in "middle limit" comes from this book.

My main problem is that I dont think that Ciaffone has played a lot of shorthanded fixed limit (my game). Caiffone prefers bigbet poker and playing nolimit its a deadly sin to get dominated (AT against AK and A on board) and a deadly sin to get aggressive with 2nd best hand.

Fixed limit - and especially shorthanded - is much more about: "Well, this raise is good 65%, its ok if I am dominated/got 2nd best hand 35%".

If u are dominated in fixed limit u lose a few bets, not your stack.

BarronVangorToth
01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recommend this link enough -- Mason's viewpoints are complete shoots on the authors and, I have to say, having read just about every book reviewed, he's dead-on with his opinions. It's just hysterical to read a reviewer be so blunt in a day and age where many reviews are complete snowjobs.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

As Zehn
01-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Di you find it applicable for the lower limits or is it more for the games in the title?

GreywolfNYC
01-23-2005, 11:45 AM
If you understand and apply just one concept from this book, that of cards being in the "playing zone", its worth reading.

That guy
01-23-2005, 01:32 PM
<<Di you find it applicable for the lower limits or is it more for the games in the title?>>

Ciaffone goes over what to think about for 400 examples. Thinking about the hand and arguing with his reasoning is extremely productive for your poker thinking, no matter what the limit.

unlike 2+2, he gives a specific framework for analyzing the situation which I like -- even though I disagree a reasonable amount of the time with his conclusion.