PDA

View Full Version : Storm Crazy

Toro
01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Do people in your area lose their minds when a snow storm is predicted. They do here in Massachusetts. Saturday morning is my normal food shopping day.

After busting out of a tourney, I head for the Super Stop & Shop near my house and it's a zoo which is not normal for this time of day but is normal after a storm forecast.

It was so bad I had to wait for someone to leave to get a carriage. Then wtf is up with all the hording of bread and milk. It's not armageddon people, just a little snow storm. We're not going to be holed up for weeks for cryin out loud.

Amazing behavior!

Homer
01-22-2005, 03:44 PM
People are weird. I went to get a shovel this morning and I saw this little old lady with like 25 bags of salt. I also found it amusing how people were picking up and testing the three different kinds of shovels they had (which were pretty much identical -- it's just a friggin shovel), going back and forth like it was some huge decision.

IndieMatty
01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not armageddon people

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Red Sox did win the World Series...so don't speak so fast.

TheJunkyardGod
01-22-2005, 03:58 PM
People tend to panic easily. I used to work at the supermarket when I was younger and whenever there was a big storm people would run in and grab everything they can.

I think they all expect 5x the amount of snow the forcast predicts, along with loss of power and heat.

I also remember the mad dash for supplies right after 9/11...("OMG WE'RE GETTING ATTACKED!! I NEED 2 POUNDS OF TURKEY!!!!")

Toro
01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not armageddon people

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Red Sox did win the World Series...so don't speak so fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't talk to me. If your Jets win last week like they're supposed to, we're playin for the AFC championship at the Razor tomorrow.

istewart
01-22-2005, 04:00 PM
We're right in the middle of it now, Philly. And I have to get food. [censored].

woodguy
01-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Not so much up here. (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

Everything is snow covered from December to April so more snow or less doesn't really matter a whole lot.

Regards,
Woodguy

tyfromm
01-22-2005, 04:14 PM
I still have 170 gallons of water for Y2K..

Good thing I saved it, I might need it for this storm. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
01-22-2005, 04:35 PM
"and they never discussed sports again.."

mmbt0ne
01-22-2005, 04:44 PM
At least people do it up there when there's actually a snowstorm. Down here people go apesh[/b]it if there are flurries in the forecast. They actually closed school once because they THOUGHT there would be a whopping 3 inches of snow overnight.

Mike Gallo
01-22-2005, 05:06 PM
If your Jets win last week like they're supposed to,

Why must people still rub it in.

MHarris
01-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I was going to hit the grocery store yesterday, but thought better of it considering the situation. Instead, I waited until midnight and the store was STILL packed and damn near empty. You'd think we were going to be buried for weeks.

rusellmj
01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Check this. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=ratto_ray&id=1972021)
Russ