PDA

View Full Version : question regarding raises/reraises when playing a 2+2 type table

amoeba
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Twice yesterday at the 2+2 table, I made reraises that I now think are questionable.

I just wanted to discuss it a bit.

example:

you are in the BB with AQ.

guy in CO has been stealing blinds quite a bit, with marginal hands like mid pocket pairs, AXs, etc...

you have 50xBB stack. he has you covered.

he raises to 4xBB. you repop back to 13xBB,

when he reraises you back, what looks strongest to you?

he goes all in? he raises to 30xBB? he raises exactly how much you have left?

I think the 2 times I did the reraising, I did it to 30xBB which I now am not sure about. At the time, my logic was that 30xBB gave the impression that I don't mind either way whether he calls or pushes and that it is mutually understood that we are both pot committed. Therefore I thought it was the stronger move.

However, both times my villains said that had I pushed, they would have more likely folded. granted this was after the hand and table talk can't be trusted at a 2+2 table but still.

anyways, this is sort of a poll I guess.

BradleyT
01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Call me a puss but I'm looking to see a flop with AQ before committing all my chips.

Once he re-pops there's just too great a chance that you're extremely far behind.

soah
01-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm still pissed that you folded AKs. =P

Was Wayfare the CO when you were BB?

amoeba
well I was the one doing the repopping, not the one with AQ.

anyways, my villain in this hand with Gutei who earlier made a repop to 13xBB from the big blind with like 6To or something.

So in this hand, I had AJ in the CO, folded to me. I raise to 4xBB. he repops me back for 13xBB. I rerepop for 30xBB based on my ealier assertion. He pushes, I fold, he shows AQ.

Now I should have called his push because as some of the other people at the table said, it was 4-1.

But my question is more what looks stronger, a rereraise to 30xBB or the other options?

amoeba
no I was the CO, gutei was BB.

amoeba
01-22-2005, 03:41 PM
on that hand it was funny because I was just thinking to myself, if I get AA/KK, and somebody raises preflop in to me, I'll reraise all in because nobody has done that yet, they've all done the standard reraise with AA/KK but I have seem them reraise push with AK.

and then when you were the first to do it, I figure you had to have AA/KK since I had AKs. QQ didn't enter my mind.

soah
01-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I don't think it really matters. You'd have to start going into fourth, fifth, etc level of thinking in order to figure out what to do... I think in TOP somewhere it says that if the thinking is going past the third level then you might as well resort to game theory since you're probably just going to end up confusing yourself otherwise. I wish I could remember the exact passage. That was talking more about bluffs though rather than this type of situation...

amoeba
01-22-2005, 03:50 PM
no nevermind, it was ewdla not Gutei in that hand.

The one against gutei was.

ep raise to 3xBB. I call with 55. gutei calls with JJ.

Flop comes 8 9 Q, 2 hearts.

check, check, check.

turn comes a 6.

check, check, Gutei bets 10xBB. I check raise to 30xBB.