PDA

View Full Version : knew it was bad but I did it anyway

sthief09
01-22-2005, 02:34 PM
I told myself that if no one had a K, I'd never do it again. SB is a TAG and BB is a LAG

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Alexthegreat
01-22-2005, 02:48 PM
SB bets the river, BB raises......What now??

sthief09
01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB bets the river, BB raises......What now??

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly what happened and I folded

Alexthegreat
01-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I'd fold too...I would bet the turn and fold to a raise, unless it was heads up, in which case I guess I'd call down, but I don't know if that's especially wise....If either of them calls I would check behind on the river.....

Did you fold the best hand?

BottlesOf
01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I think I might do this in the 6max game, where I'd feel more showdown committed and more bluffs would come at me on the river. What do you think of that?

sthief09
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
the TAG had AJ and backdoored a flush. the LAG who raised the river had a K

what would've happened on the turn was the TAG would've called and the LAG would've check-raised. there's a lot of money in the pot to be throwing away TPTK to a LAG

Alexthegreat
01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
I think if you can fold to a bet/call/check-raise situation, then you should bet the turn......it doesn't sound like you'd be stoked on folding, and neither would i, so I guess checking behind on the turn is okay....but then again, don't you think you have the best hand often enough to warrant betting??

gaming_mouse
01-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Josh,

Which part would you never do again? Your line seems fine to me. It is a close call between laying down the river and calling, but I like the lay down. Am I off here? What part of your decision were you unhappy with?

private joker
01-22-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What part of your decision were you unhappy with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant checking the turn. If he's ahead he's giving a potentially dangerous free card, not to mention missing a trivially obvious value bet.

Brunger
01-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I am always wary when i get multiple callers on a board like AKK. What can they have. The tag certainly didn't call with some gutshot and may have bet an ace. Lags just calling sends off more signals than a raise. Bet-fold and checking are both viable options. If I can confidently fold to a raise betting is better. If I feel I can't checking becomes better. nice hand.

gaming_mouse
01-22-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he meant checking the turn. If he's ahead he's giving a potentially dangerous free card, not to mention missing a trivially obvious value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. But.... the double calls really stink of a slowplay by someone.

Also, how do you play it if you bet the turn, get a fold, then a raise. I think bet, call, raise is an easier fold for you. Since these guys are aggressive, is a call down in order if the raise is HU?

I guess the reason I don't think his line is so bad is that your hand clearly has showdown value, and since you are up against players who are likely to raise bluff in a situation where there's a decent chance you are beat anyway (because of the double call), missing a bet isn't so bad. Is this weak-tight?

sthief09
01-22-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's ahead he's giving a potentially dangerous free card, not to mention missing a trivially obvious value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pot was big, so giving a free card is definitely no good, but this wasn't such a scary board. if there was a 3-flush I'd have bet. the value bet part is worse I think. neither gave me an indication that I was behind.

sthief09
01-22-2005, 04:52 PM
if the BB wasn't a LAG I wouldn't have even hesitated. but the LAG is very capable of check raising a protected pot as a bluff or with something like AJ

gaming_mouse
01-22-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
neither gave me an indication that I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. I think that both LAGs and TAGs usually raise an A here, no? Thus the double call is actually a pretty good indication that you're behind.

What else are they calling with? Straight draws are the only other possibility. But I think a single K is far more likely than 2 straight draws.

sthief09
01-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Michael Davis
01-22-2005, 07:39 PM
There isn't another good way to play this hand. You say giving a free card isn't good, but what are you putting them on? Only QT and QJ are reasonably getting anything from a free card. Frankly, when you get two calls on this flop, you're the one that needs a free card so you should take it.

-Michael

Alexthegreat
01-23-2005, 06:04 AM
I think you guys are being results oriented here.....No one is giving him any indication he is behind...come on now.....Hero bets the flop and gets called in two spots, by a TAG and a LAG......since when does that mean he is automatically behind?? If hero bets, is called and then check-raised, then he can figure he's in trouble and fold....I think checking behind on the turn is giving up a little too easily....