PDA

View Full Version : immoral unethical angle shooting or smart play???????

oneifbypez
01-22-2005, 02:11 PM
im a newbie to the site so i apologize for the poor construction to this. here is my question, i believe i have a grasp on string raises and string bets, however, i do not know if this form of play falls into that category. if said player does in fact announce that he is raising, then proceeds to wait up to 3 full non exaggerated minutes in hopes of reading the previous callers or hoping that forthcoming bettors muck, whether he be shuffling his chips or not, is this unethical, immoral, tactical, or what????? personally, i feel it is detrimental to the speed and enjoyment of the game, but after a 90 minute post game conversation on its legitamacy, i would like some of you chime in who have logged many more hours at tables than me and have seen this before. i apologize if this has been touched on several times before, but i couldnt find anything to satisfy my question.

thanks for your time in advance,
ken

smoore
01-22-2005, 03:01 PM
That would be annoying. I would just call the clock on him after about 15 seconds. The hand clock for my game is one minute. I guess it's within his rights as a player, but all the other players have the right to call the clock on him. We have a guy like this at our games and I'm constantly clocking him.

Arsene Lupin III
01-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Okay.. Here's the deal.

Online sites allow a player a certain a lot of time, very often based on the importance of a pot. If you're in a tournament, at the final table, and a large amount of chips are at stake in a very big pot, taking your time is very important. If you're in a home game with a $5 buyin and someone is trying to determine a size for a river raise, screw him. Give him 60 (or even 30) seconds to make up his mind. If he doesn't act after 30 seconds, muck his hand.

This is very situation-dependent but, regardless, you must remind your friend that it is a friendly game. If everyone were to take that long on each action, you would complete 3 or 4 hands a night.

This is an example of a reason for having a laminated or posted list of rules for your home game, as cheesy as it may sound. If you would like, I will post mine.

Lottery Larry
01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Cut that off right away. Thinking about a bet for a short period is okay, but this isn't the WPT for 6 figures.

He's angle-shooting. Warn him and then punish him if he persists.

TheCroShow
01-23-2005, 11:57 AM
agreed, this guy has watched too much poker on TV, maybe he caught that episode when buddy put a move on the magician..he was re-raising the magician, he said "raise" then sat there for about 2 minutes before the magician called for a clock.

i love guys that play home games like it's the WPT final table. I think my game was victim of collusion/chip dumping one night. definately cut that kinda stuff out to keep it clean.