PDA

View Full Version : mini-blind game

Dominic
01-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I play a 4-8 game on UB that has a mini-blind structure - $1 and $2 blinds, if you want to raise pre-flop, you make it $6. The flop is a $4 bet and the turn and river is $8.

I'm wondering how this changes, if at all, my starting hand requirements. Obviously this structure is trying to encourage more players preflop, as you can limp in and see a flop for as little as $2...

Any thoughts?

JoshuaD
01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Without thinking about it too hard, it seems you should play tigher in earlier positions, and loosen up your limping standards if it comes to you in LP unraised.

Blind stealing isn't worth nearly as much, but it's much easier to do.

I'm not sure if you should play looser or tighter PF though. On one hand, you've got much better implied odds. On the other hand the blind's are small so there's not much reason to get involved without prime holdings.

sthief09
01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I would think that pocket pairs would be absolute gold, since the implied odds you need to make up postflop are cut in half compared to a regular blind structure. conversely, suited connectors become trash, as you won't have odds postflop to chase gut shots or backdoor + backdoor + overcard type draws. postflop, it's just about pot odds so nothing should change.

Dominic
01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think that pocket pairs would be absolute gold, since the implied odds you need to make up postflop are cut in half compared to a regular blind structure. conversely, suited connectors become trash, as you won't have odds postflop to chase gut shots or backdoor + backdoor + overcard type draws. postflop, it's just about pot odds so nothing should change.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what had me thinking....my pot odds on the flop would be cut in half...draws on the flop would need a large pot to correctly chase....so it seems you shold play a marginal hand like 2nd pair fairly strongly on the flop...thoughts?

Any other strategic differences in starting hand requirements or post flop play anyone can think of?

donger
01-22-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
conversely, suited connectors become trash, as you won't have odds postflop to chase gut shots or backdoor + backdoor + overcard type draws

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors can flop other hands.. two pair, a pair plus a flush draw or straight draw, trips, made straights, made flushes, etc.

I think that all speculative hands, not just pocket pairs, go up in value. These hands thrive on flopping cheaply in relation to the later betting.

Another aspect to this game is adjusting your standards for calling a raise back to you after having limped. This is 2x your original limp. I think you can start folding some of your weaker hands here. What hands would you guys fold after your limp was raised by a solid player?

sthief09
01-22-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
conversely, suited connectors become trash, as you won't have odds postflop to chase gut shots or backdoor + backdoor + overcard type draws

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors can flop other hands.. two pair, a pair plus a flush draw or straight draw, trips, made straights, made flushes, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

the real value in suited connectors is on the big streets they make money off the big unsuited cards that are drawing dead. but if you can't get to the big streets, they lose a lot of their value

StellarWind
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
The overall strategic concept seems to combine two conflicting elements. You want to be a stone killer preflop, playing only the best hands and hammering the opposition with raises when you do play. You also want to steal cheap flops with good drawing hands from players who do not understand the stone-killer idea.

Specifics:

1. Complete any 2 as long as BB isn't trigger happy. Throw most of it away if you do get raised.

2. Increase the raise gap (gap principle). Tighten up when someone raises preflop in front of you. There is less money in the pot to make up for having an inferior hand.

3. Folding a limp to a single raise is often the correct play.

4. Limp many hands when you are pretty certain you won't be raised.

5. No open-limping or limping in shorthanded pots. Yes this superficially conflicts with the last rule. It depends on how dumb your opponents are.

6. Pocket pairs and high cards gain value. The ability to flop a set and gain many times your preflop investment is awesome. High card hands gain value because they are easier to protect. The preflop raise is more powerful and pot odds to chase one pair hands are reduced.

7. Suited and connected cards lose value. Drawing to a flush or straight is extremely expensive because the flop and turn bets are so large in comparison to the pot size. Meanwhile the multiway action you crave dries up fast because the small pot size won't support as many chasers.

I'd love to hear feedback on this analysis.