PDA

View Full Version : Limpraise with AK is step 3

betgo
01-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I have limpraised twice with AK early in multitable step 3s. Once I doubled up against AQ. The other time lost most of my chips to KK. I habitually use this play in SNGs and MTTs at a lower level than this. I wonder if it is too aggressive for step 3s.

The first time was the first hand of the tournament. I limped with AKo UTG. Third position raised to 55. I pushed. Third position called with AQs and I doubled up. (I would up only winning another step 3 when I lost 2 hands later on where I open pushed with big blinds with TT and AK and got called by hands my hand dominated. I didn't have the chips to fold into advancing.)

It seems like a pretty bad call by AQ. However, he probably correctly read that I didn't have a big pair with the overbet push. He may have thought I was a maniac pushing the first hand. If I had open raised AQs probably would have flat called and I wouldn't have won such a big pot.

The second time, I open limped for 20 from second position at the beginning of level 2 with AKs. Fourth positon limped and fifth position raised to 140. I pushed and was called by KK.

If I had open raised and been reraised, I might have pushed anyway. In this case I would have busted out if I flat called, since the flop was K, rag, rag.

With the limpraise, I might have gotten a lot of pocket pairs to fold. I also might get a call from AQ or something.

In general, is it advisable to get away from AK against one opponent early in a Step 3? Without actually folding, is it advisable to flat call a raise or reraise at some point, rather than putting in another raise?