PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Live Button Hand

Lawrence Ng
01-22-2005, 09:19 AM
No, I am not posting this in the wrong forum.

Typical Friday night good action loose passive 20-40 live game.

I am on the button with 66. 3 limpers to me and I call.

SB, who is a very beautiful Chinese girl who is a very solid, aggressive player and she raises. BB folds, the rest of us call.

9 Small bets at this point.

Flop comes 9-9-2 rainbow. SB bets, all fold to me and I call.

Turn is a jack. SB bets, I call.

Comments? Should I have raised and put pressure on her if she had AK or AQ, in which case she would play like this even though she could have AA, KK, QQ, JJ or TT. Or is a call here fine?

Lawrence

Trix
01-22-2005, 10:09 AM
It really depends what streets she is cabable of 3betting with worse hands and if she can check-fold A-high on the river if you just call there. If she is very aggro and tricky, then your line is fine. Also whether she calls down or folds turn or river if you raise turn.
Itīs a very player dependant hand and my definition of solid may be different from yours, so itīs hard to say what to do rather than what to consider.

Obviously your goal is to win the max or protect your hand when ahead and in the same time loose the least when behind and how to do that will depend alot on how she will react if you raise anywhere.

spydog
01-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I call this flop with the intention of raising any turn card. She will only 3-bet hands that you are behind. If she does, it's an easy fold, costing you 2BB. She will fold AK, AQ, KQs, and maybe even TT, 88, and 77. If she calls your turn raise, then check behind on the river.

Calling the turn and river gives you no fold equity, plus the chance for her to catch up if she's on overcards.

Folding the turn or river seems too weak.

Trix
01-22-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I call this flop with the intention of raising any turn card. She will only 3-bet hands that you are behind. If she does, it's an easy fold, costing you 2BB. She will fold AK, AQ, KQs, and maybe even TT, 88, and 77. If she calls your turn raise, then check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this line is that it is very easy to exploit for a good player with good hand reading skills, so I dont like to use it if I dont know if my opponent can 3bet or not here. In small stakes games they usually wont though, but this person might.

I agree that it probably is the best line against many players.

spydog
01-22-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with this line is that it is very easy to exploit for a good player with good hand reading skills, so I dont like to use it if I dont know if my opponent can 3bet or not here. In small stakes games they usually wont though, but this person might.

I agree that it probably is the best line against many players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trix, considering you are one of the better players, what hands would you 3-bet if you were the hot Asian chick? And how many of those are worse than Hero's pair of sixes?

A very good player might call the raise, but still lead the river. That's a rare bird, though.

Lawrence Ng
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A very good player might call the raise, but still lead the river. That's a rare bird, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she calls the turn and leads the river, I'm finished with my hand unless I hit a six. Obviously a solid aggressive player like this gorgeous chick is gonna have a read on me and I play a tight aggressive game too.

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling the turn and river gives you no fold equity, plus the chance for her to catch up if she's on overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I thought afterwards.. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
01-24-2005, 10:34 AM
hey lawrence,

there are a couple of things to say about this turn, which incidently also have to do with the river because the two big sreets are really just one big highway with two lanes, one going before the other but both linked, know what i'm saying?

so that really leaves two questions for you: what will you do on the river if you call this turn, what are you going to do on this river if you raise this turn?

generally the trickier/aggressive a person is, the more inclined i am to not throw in a raise and see if she'll bet this river or not. if she's the type to give up with AK but will always bet a hand that beats yours, then calling down gets you to a showdown for 1 bb where you can check behind or fold, but raising will get you there for 2bb IF you have the best hand, but can also lead you to getting 3-bet and folding a potential best hand or a hand that can spike a 2 outer, which is not an insignificant number here.

but if you are intent on call-call on the big streets, i think a turn raise should be seriously considered because you should give her a chance to fold a clean 6 outer or hell, maybe even a better hand, something you won't do if you call-call of course. it'll cost you the same amount of bets, albiet we will run into that turn 3-betting problem from time to time, but if she is more straightfoward than tricky, i would choose this as the superior play.

chris

Chris Daddy Cool
01-24-2005, 10:35 AM
So, just how hot is this asian chick?

Bob T.
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM

And will she respect you more in the morning if you raise the turn or not?

Lawrence Ng
01-24-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot enough that enough dorkasses on the table kept letting her take pots down. This one guy rivers a king high flush, shows the table and mucks it and says, "let the lady have it." Talk about having +EV there for her... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
01-24-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And will she respect you more in the morning if you raise the turn or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. I have 1 advantage over her in this particular situation.

I know I have position and I know the board is scary enough that she has to somewhat respect my turn raise, thus giving me some fold equity if she does indeed have an overpair to the board. She knows that I know this, but what she doesn't know is that I would actually raise her on the turn with an underpair and not put her on AK or AQ. So that's my advantage there.

Plus I'm a pretty good looking guy so maybe I'll get some credit for that too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lawrence