PDA

View Full Version : TT -- I might've screwed this up

Nick C
01-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, my table started clearing out, and I can see why some of you like short-handed so much. Two- and three-handed, I didn't really know what I was doing, except for what I've learned from HPFAP, so I just kept raising (and taking a free card occasionally) whenever I had the slightest excuse to. It seemed to work out okay.

Before any of that took place though, there was this hand, which I may have misplayed:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds.

River: (14.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

My question is about the flop. Apparently I'm not getting rid of anybody that threatens my hand. Given my relative position to the raiser, should I skip the flop 3-bet and go for a checkraise on a non-super-scary turn? Or should I just play it fast, like I did?

Tk79
01-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Since you have 2 ppl calling 2 cold on the flop and the raise is directly behind you I just call the raise and look to check raise the turn and trap those other players for several big bets.

AdamL
01-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Your hand has so much equity it's not even funny, the flop 3-bet is fine. You played this hand fine, and won a nice pot.

spydog
01-22-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you have 2 ppl calling 2 cold on the flop and the raise is directly behind you I just call the raise and look to check raise the turn and trap those other players for several big bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this advice. You need to study this flop. Villian raised. What could he have raised with? Let's look at the 2 most probably scenarios.

1) A draw. Ok, he might check the turn for his free card. Therefore, we like to 3-bet the flop and make him pay.

2) Middle or top pair. Ok, if a AKQ hits on the turn, he may get scared and check thru. Maybe he bets, but folds to your CR. Therefore, we like to 3-bet the flop and make him pay.

Another likely scenario is when he has JT. It's still good to 3-bet because he will likely cap (which would set up a turn CR) or smooth call, waiting to raise your turn bet (which you gladly 3-bet).

Hope this makes sense.

Nick C
01-22-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your hand has so much equity it's not even funny, the flop 3-bet is fine. You played this hand fine, and won a nice pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when I woke up today and started thinking about this hand again, I decided that 3-betting the flop is exactly what I should've done.

When I posted this hand, I guess I was thinking greedily and was just disappointed something like what Spydog describes at the end of his post hadn't taken place.

Thanks for the responses.