PDA

View Full Version : Step 5--aiming for ITM?

deathpotato
01-22-2005, 05:21 AM
A couple of days ago I bought into one of party's $12 step 1 STTs and have since then (due to a great run of cards at steps 3 and 4) managed to make my way up to step 5. I've been watching a lot of these tournaments and they look very tough, certainly nothing that I could hope to play for a longterm positive ROI, as I don't beat even the smaller SNGs for anything spectacular. Personally, at this point I would be very happy to get 4th place money ($1200), but I'm concerned as to whether this attitude will actually hurt my chances of making it into the money (i.e., playing very scared, weak-tight when I would normally not be). In essence (and I'm not sure that this is even a reasonable/answerable question) I'm wondering if it would be better, considering that I would be really happy with any ITM finish, to aim for first and play aggressively, or to ease up a little bit and just aim to get into the money.

Edit--from my limited observation of the step 5 tourneys, it looks like the regulars there seem to make a lot of their chips off of timid players who arent willing to call big bets early on. This pushes me more toward the "normal play style" idea, I think.

lacky
01-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Do you want to even play it? You could maybe make a arrangement with a good players around here to play it for you and split part of the prize, if any. But if you want to play it to say you did (I'd wan't to if it was me) I say play your normal game. Too agressive is harder to play against than too weak tight. At that level you will need to play your way into the money. You won't get there from stupid players being reckless like you can in a $11.

Steve

Mr_J
01-22-2005, 07:30 AM
But wouldn't you have to transfer the seat to another player? I don't if party allows that? Otherwise good players could just work the lower levels and sell their step 5 seat to a serious player for a discount price.

Jcardshark
01-22-2005, 07:57 AM

ReDeYES88
01-22-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of days ago I bought into one of party's $12 step 1 STTs

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 12 bucks invested. No reason to play scared. If you lose playing your normal game, so be it. It's still only 12 bucks and a great learning experience.

lacky
01-22-2005, 02:33 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of the person loging into his account. He could change his password when it was done. Obviosely he would want a trusted person.

wegs the wegs
01-22-2005, 03:44 PM
You have to play it. Giving the ticket to a regular may give you a better chance at some cash, but you'll be kicking your self later, win or lose. You may not get many opportunities to play at this level again, so take it while you can. Play your normal game and don't be intimidated by the better players. There are probably 1 or 2 other players from the Step 1, and 1 or 2 rich fish playing in there as well who you can beat. Consider it a freeroll! If you play well, get some cards, who knows what could happen. If you miss... oh well you lost 12 bucks.

Grisgra
01-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Do you get any money for finishing 1-3, or are the prizes for steps 1-4 just the freerolls? (I did see some small cash payouts for those who did lousy, less than the original buy-in would be.)

deathpotato
01-22-2005, 04:27 PM
This is the big one, first prize $4500, 2nd $2500, 3rd $1800, 4th $1200.

Also, I do intend to play this myself, and I think I agree with the people who are advising me to play my usual game. I think my chances of making it ITM are greater that way than if I play overly weak. Heh, on the other hand, while I'm saying this now, I'm sure that when the time comes I'll be playing weaker than usual no matter what my intentions are.

Edit--misread the question, in steps 1-4 there is no money unless you drop down.

Gigabet
01-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Whats up with you ragging on the only fish in the room about the hands that he chooses to play? Come on man, you cannot be doing that.

deathpotato
01-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm in. Names I recognize: SwiftSteal, Jidenok, capper77, bubik, and ROYCOHN.

...hope I get a lot of aces!

edit--QQ takes down KK first hand, 9 left

deathpotato
01-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Blech, out early. Lost a fair amount with AK and TT, then got knocked out on a steal from the SB. In retrospect I don't think I played my best, but I didn't expect to, and it was fun while it lasted. Oh well.