PDA

View Full Version : Question about reporting winnings

04-19-2002, 05:42 PM
A question for those who have won substantial amounts online: Do you report your winnings? So far, I've only won a small amount online, but if I keep at it, it may add up to a significant amount by the end of the year. If I do the "right thing" and report my winnings on my tax form, have I then admitted to illegal gambling? How "legal" is playing online anyway?

04-19-2002, 06:07 PM
2+2 won't comment on the obvious illegal choice of evils that you have. They strongy encourage you to break US law and support offshore, illegal gambling.

04-20-2002, 10:15 AM
Just put it down as gambling winnings. If it is over half your earnings for the year you should file as a professional gambler. This lets you take off expenses like new computer stuff, ISP connection charges and those $25 Fed-Ex charges some poker sites charge.

MS Sunshine

04-21-2002, 09:27 PM
Hey, I hadn't considered that... my computer could be a business expense.. yeehaw! Unfortunately, my gambling winnings will likely be nowhere near the salary from my "real job".

Wouldn't it be interesting, though, if my gambling winnings were just slightly less than my salary, then I would have to go ask my boss for a paycut so I could file as a professional gambler.