PDA

View Full Version : I'm 4 for 4

04-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Tried something stupid the other day on PokerStars and it has been hugely successful. After a player had got AA cracked on the river by K4o (with a final board of K-9-5-2-4), betting and raising the whole way...the same player with AA raises the next hand preflop...when it was folded around to me, I (probably bored at the time and just wanting to take a shot)...called with 4-7o. No one else called and we were heads up. The flop came 3-5-6 rainbow. He bets, I raise (knowing full well that based on my play to that point he would think I just had overcards or a small pocket pair higher than 6). He reraised and I called. The turn was a 10, he bets I call. Q on the river, bet, raise, re-raise, cap. I show the nut straight, he flashes QQ and goes on full tilt after that. Damn that was a miracle flop... but anyway, I used my profit from that hand as justification to make a similar play later that evening..flopped two pair, and beat AK... I am up to 4 for my last 4 on these "bad calls". The only time I have tried is after a painful bad beat is administered, the player comes right back with a raise on the next hand, and I'm almost positive no one else will be in the hand. Some players tilt from the first beat and will raise with anything, so I'm not always certain that I'm way behind when I call their raise. I just thought it was worth mentioning since the majority of my profit over the last week has come from playing hands I should fold to a single bet, let alone a raise...and then trying to later take advantage of these tilting players with a legitimate hand. I won't go on doing this once this "lucky streak" or whatever you want to call it ends...but it has the added benefit of making me feel really good to be on the winning end of a ridiculous beat for a change. Fluke? most likely... but I have to also mention that I am leery of getting too excited about seeing KK, when I have just lost the previous hand with a set of 8's against a runner-runner flush. I don't think there's much value to this information, I just found it interesting... (thought about posting after the 3rd win...but held off...)

04-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Maybe you've stumbled onto a winning strategy.

Tom D

04-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Your welcome to call my raise with AA with your 47off whenever you feel "lucky". On second thought, why dont you 3 bet me. lol

04-19-2002, 02:31 PM
The odds of you flopping that straight were 101 to 1. The chance of you getting a 4 and a 7 on the flop is 60:1, or a whopping 1.6% chance. So if you enjoy winning

04-19-2002, 03:57 PM
You will be 8 out of 50 with the strategy before you know it.

Enrique

04-19-2002, 04:17 PM
I know they are crap hands that stand little/no chance of winning...and it's not going to be part of an ongoing strategy. If and when I try it again, I would dump on the flop unless it clobbered me...I stand to lose $6...maybe $9 if it fails...compared to the $150+ I have profited off of this... Plus, two strong hands cracked back to back can really tilt a lot of players, so there has been added value to this that I haven't calculated (as other players at the table have taken advantage of the tilting players sudden willingness to gamble it up...the old "if you can't beat them join them" mentality.) And maybe the player(s) in question are more leery about betting the turn or river with the winning hand (fearing the next bad beat, which happens at the low levels that I play), saving me a bet while holding a 2nd best hand. I am not an advocate of "play any 2, because you may flop a monster", and it may be incorrect thinking to say "It paid off before and if I miss I am still up", but it has worked 4 consecutive times (odds of that are undoubtedly astronimical), but I am not a wildly undisciplined player that would ever adopt a play as ridiculous as I admit this is, into my game plan.

To repeat...it is a BAD play, winning was/is a fluke...I know this and am not going to go broke playing this way. (I do appreciate the odds calculations you have provided though...I didn't calculate the exact odds, but I knew it wasn't pretty.) I know this is a forum to discuss strategy, and the correct way to play hands, and didn't want to imply that I thought this had any value at all... I tried it once, it worked, etc. etc. For entertainment purposes only. But 8 for 50...not a chance.... 4 for 5, almost definitely.

04-19-2002, 04:22 PM
You better watch yourself!!! I think you're a lunatic to play in such a way!!! Keep doing that!!! The only hands you should be playing are AA and KK, and maybe AK, and maybe not even that if you're under the gun, unless it's suited, and maybe not even then, unless you're short-handed, and maybe not even then!!!

04-19-2002, 04:36 PM
I keep reading normal holdem strategy here.I think Tom has something here.normal knowlageble strategy doesnt work normally in online low limit holdem.the better you play the more bad beats you will encounter.count your wins when you raise before the flop with the best hand and see what happens most of the time

04-19-2002, 06:08 PM
Tom,

you are not the only one who uses a similiar strategy. I would not make the play with 4/7 o but have done it with very marginal holdings such as Q/10 , J/10 K/10 and other similiar hands. Just yesterday while passing time during lunch a player gets his pocket K's cracked by runner runner and 4/5 suited wins. The next hand he is UTG raises folded to me in the cutoff with Q/10 off. I reraise and the SB and BB come in. UTG 3 bets it we all call. Flop comes KK 9, UTG bets we all call. The turn is a beautiful off breed jack, UTG bets I raise fold, fold, UTG calls. The river is a blank UTG checks, I bet He calls, I show K high str8, He mucks and the tongue lashing begins.

So I agree with the basic strategy but am somewhat more selective when it comes to challenging the tilting player.

Jimbo

04-20-2002, 10:27 AM
If thats all your playing with ONLINE....I know your not making any money!!

Where do you play anyhow? lmao

04-20-2002, 10:30 AM