PDA

View Full Version : solve this debate

bicyclekick
01-22-2005, 01:07 AM
30/60 online

A loose aggressive bad player opens in the high-jack and you have 98s in the sb. the bb is a solid player.

What's your move?

/edit 1/2 blind structure.

mmcd
01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Fold online.

Depending on the level of "badness" of the CO-1 maybe call live (2/3 structure).

steveyz
01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I like cold calling and check-raising the flop a lot.

mmcd
01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I'll pull stuff like this a lot, but doing against a LAG player is a bad move.

steveyz
01-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Depends on how LAG this guy is post-flop. But definitely be prepared to cap the flop or c/r the turn if 3-bet and you have a draw or mediocre hand.

Stork
01-22-2005, 01:27 AM
I was thinking about 3-betting to isolate, but the CO probably has a better hand than you, and the flop will miss you often and then you'll have to fold to a bet by CO. Sure you'll flop a pair about 1/3 of the time, but alot of the time it will be second or third pair, and you'll be in a difficult position acting first for 3 rounds. And 3-handed, you won't have odds to continue if you flop something like a gutshot and backdoor flush. I don't really like coldcalling much, it encourages the BB to come along, and 98s isn't that good 3 way. Fold.

mmcd
01-22-2005, 01:58 AM
I agree with this completely, but I think the cost is just too high out of the sb in 1/2 structure. Against a certain subset over aggro 30 players online I'll routinely defend my bb with like 75s (or sometimes even worse than that) heads up because against these types you are getting automatic implied odds. You can flop middle pair on a ragged flop and play a big pot having the best of it. It also helps out a lot with meta-game when you are out of position w/o the lead . By playing real fast out of the blinds against LAGs, you'll get excessive action when open with a strong hand and get 3-bet. When you smooth call there, and checkraise the flop, you enable yourself to get a lot of lead-3 bets in on the turn as a result of your blind play. People will give you a lot of action with top pair or JJ/QQ type overpairs because they have seen you are willing to play big pots with marginal hands (but only against the lags). Out the sb though I still think it's a fold because you can rarely these types off a pot and those times you can, it is going to be costly. Setting yourself up to get into steal, resteal, reresteal, rereresteal situations is a bad idea out of position agains LAGs. Marginal hands out of the blinds against them should be played for implied odds only, so you would need to connect with the flop here. If the raiser were tight the opposite would be true.

SinCityGuy
01-22-2005, 02:21 AM
You want something with showdown value like Ax, two big cards, or a pocket pair.

worm33
01-22-2005, 03:54 AM
nobody has mentioned the big blind. If Im going to play the hand, and that would depend entirely on my mood, I would either call if the bb plays poorly or 3 bet if the bb plays well. Either way doesnt really matter much what u do.

3rdCheckRaise
01-22-2005, 03:55 AM
I would call against someone that i have a chance to push off the hand, against a LAG...neah , not a chance...

bicyclekick
01-22-2005, 03:56 AM
I did mention the big blind. I said he's solid. The big blind was me, for what it's worth.

rory
01-22-2005, 03:59 AM
Easy fold.

Danielih
01-22-2005, 08:15 AM
one more vote for easy fold.

The only way to justify such a play is if the raiser is very weak postflop and will fold. Since this is not the case with most LAGs then CC or 3betting with 9 high is quite the losing proposition.