PDA

View Full Version : For or Against Changing User Names

04-19-2002, 01:30 AM
I read in an earlier thread started by MS. Sunshine that some may consider changing their user names cheating. This was explained to be cheating because in a B&M you can't change your name. Does seem silly, as you can change how you look in a B&M and hide your old identity.

Is everyone for or against changing user names?

04-19-2002, 01:33 AM

04-19-2002, 01:59 AM
1. Almost any Poker site will change a username at least once for a good reason for a long-term customer.

2. Depending on how you are preceived under your current name vs how long before you are figured out, again, should decide the best EV choice.

3A. As to the morality of deceiving your fellow poker players.

3B. ROFLMAO...........Please.

Have a nice day.

MS Sunshine

04-19-2002, 02:42 AM
It's not really a moral issue. I think it is a significant advantage to change one's identity, an advantage not found in real life. But, I've never met a player that could have such accurate assessments of players as a device such as PokerStat allows. Hell, even notes as available on Paradise, PokerStars etc. is simply not available live. So, it's not like it's a huge crime to want to change one's online identity.

I'm against it because of the precedent it sets. I mean, can you imagine how ridiculous it could get for the online sites? Or the players trying to gain edge. After a month, I wouldn't be able to remember my username. And could players use other people's usernames after they were discarded? Maybe we could sell them? It just doesn't make sense.

But, that is just my opinion...and I'm not making my living off poker, so frankly, it shouldn't be worth much to those who do. If I had to live off poker, I'd take every edge possible.

Mojay

04-19-2002, 03:55 AM
...I have no issues with mind games or varying my play around -- I don't care what you screen name is, or what you change it too, I play the cards, till I get a read for THAT TIME @ THE TABLE, then adapt and play as needed to confuse without risking a ton -- is this not what all players do? I don't really care if I have played you a million times, I will read what I can for how you are playing today and make moves accordingly....

Would you get a sex change in real life to win more money? If you would (and if you did), I would let you change you screen name without any issues :o) Till then -- NO!

04-19-2002, 04:29 AM
Well, it's certainly NOT cheating... and, by the way, many Las Vegas poker players would know me by "A" name, but not "MY" name. /images/wink.gif

The only potential problem I see with it online is that it would make it more difficult for players to avoid certain others for whatever reasons, leaving us to, perhaps, be a bit quicker to report suspect play in hopes that the site operators will take care of colluders, time-out artists, etc.

On the pro side, I think it may prove to make the games somewhat more stable as the sharks won't swarm to the live one's game solely by name. It could also increase the action some of us who been there for quite a while tend to receive.

Anonymity is a feature of the internet which is changing many things about the way people relate and interact... no reason that shouldn't apply to poker, too. Just sit down and see how they're playing HERE and NOW.

How to implement? Just let people pick a name each time they log on... not tough at all.

All in all, I don't really think it matters much, but I'd vote for it.

04-19-2002, 04:50 AM
I think it would be a shame if usernames were changing left, right and centre. One of the small side-pleasures to playing online is the chat and sense of community that can develop between regular players at the same games/limits (just like in B&M games no doubt).

I'm not wildly keen on the 'notes' options that are popping up on sites now. If you want to make notes, make notes on a spreadsheet or (gasp!) a notepad, but this feature will surely intimidate some new/weak/fishy players... They don't want to think that all the experienced players are taking notes on them.

04-19-2002, 08:23 AM
One PP username. 3 years old, generally tight image but overaggressive at times, esp re stud/8.

Will take $0.25 (obo)

G

04-19-2002, 05:41 PM
I have always been told that MS was highly ethical.My opinion is that changing names is just the opposite, perhaps everyone in his data base will change also.

04-19-2002, 07:24 PM

04-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Many players in my databases have different names, at several poker sites, and have changed and/or have other names at the same site. Some names have two or more people playing the same names. This is just the way it is. It is like cursing the rain, a waste of time.

As to my ethics, you should know that if I find change in a pay phone I make no attempt to find the rightful owner or return it to Ma Bell. I have no problem with deceiving the nice people I play poker with. It is one of the things I like most about poker, that and the money.

I have not and will not time-out on purpose. I would not hack an opponent's computer.

Would I tell a table full of players that I was drinking wine when I wasn't?, only if I thought they would believe me and I could benefit.

Now, that said, I still question the value of being an unknown player vs someone that everyone has a handle on.

A very "bad player", who most notice pretty quickly, you don't make many errors in playing them from what you would do if you knew who they were.

An "average player" is the default most of us give to any new player till we see otherwise. So, little gain here.

Now, a "very good player", of which there are very few, gets the most gain, IMO because it takes a while to notice someone not making bad plays and making good plays.

At this point, I still don't know what to do.

MS Sunshine

04-19-2002, 11:03 PM

04-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Just my feeble opinion on right & wrong. No big deal. I wish you the best whatever you decide. I honestly believe any gain if any would be short term.