PDA

View Full Version : My Mouth Got Me in Trouble

04-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Playing Paradise NL. The game was loose/passive with very little raising BTF (until I got there). I got beat on the end by a player playing 87s on the button. I didn't mean anything buy it at all but I made a comment to the effect that it was a pretty loose game. My opponent that had just beat me jumped all over me, telling me that I shouldn't criticize him if I thought he played bad, that I should like it (or something like that) and that I should go back to 2+2! I felt awful!!! I apologized, saying I was not referring to him but to the table and in no way was critcizing his play. I even went as far as saying loose play in NL is good when you pick your spots (as he did). Anyway he said no problem and I went on to have a winning session. And BTW, only the 2nd online NL winning session after losing $400. Now I'm only $175 stuck at online NL.

The thing I felt the worst about though, was that he recognized me as a 2+2'er (I didn't recognize his name as one though). I felt kind of good but bad that he thought I was being a jerk.

I learned a lesson here. Whether it's live or online, people listen and take things as they percieve it. I'm glad he said something because many would not have and just gone on thinking that I all 2+2'ers are jerks.

Say less than I think, that's what I should've done and will try hard to do from now on.

KC50

04-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Hey man, I couldn't agree with you more except in a few spots, there are a few players that are easily riled, and a simple LOL can get them to move in on your nut hand. Suprised that you lost $400 in one session though, although i admit the loose games can be tough to overcome at times.

Keep going strong, and use the force Dr. Ropata.

04-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks for your reply Mr. P. You were right about people moving in on me. Not the opponent that was offended (he remained pretty sensible), but a couple of the others would go over the top of me all-in when I might bet half their stack (after flopping a straight or a set) and I would joyfully call.

Oh, BTW, I didn't lose $400 in one session, it was several (I think maybe 5 or 6). I've been making a slow transition from live cash PL games to NL cash games. I have experience in NL tourneys but until a month or so ago, none in live NL cash games. I figured it might be better to start with the low buy-in games online so I've been wading the waters at PP and some at UB.

KC50

P.S. It's weird calling someone half my age MR.

/images/smile.gif

04-19-2002, 12:11 PM
I was the opponent in question. I wasn't actually worried about your comments regarding me (I prefer to have people think I'm loose!), but more to the general atmosphere of criticizing others' play. This was not just you, there were a few players who were making comments etc. Nothing personal, I just tend to speak up when I see that happening and since I did recognize your nick I thought I'd mention something.

Good luck,

Nakor

04-19-2002, 01:21 PM
I play with KC at Planet at the LL (I think he probably plays higher in live games) and consider him a class act (not only as a player but an individual as well)...HOWEVER, he is capable of stirring up things by his comments or replies to others comments, WITHOUT being critical of anothers play. Or sometimes he'll just sit there and you won't hear a peep out of him (or should I say read his words). Then all of a sudden POW! Wait a minute. Where'd he come from? Too late, the pots already being pushed to KC50! I would compare it to how Mike Caro talks about his own antics on the felt. It sounds like the game was very passive, not much raising with a lot of limping before the flop and he just wanted to cause some discomfort with those were accustomed to being able to limp. It sounds like he was successful in doing that, I might add. I'm sure he meant what he said here and when he told you that at the table.

04-22-2002, 09:24 AM
ROFLMBO!

a wee tip, KC50 - don't forget to change "your name" when you make other posts, like this one above to MSS:

"Internet Gambling

Re: PokerStars Freeroll

Posted By: Planet Player

Date: Monday, 22 April 2002, at 8:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: PokerStars Freeroll (MS Sunshine)

I know ...

... at the WSOP.

KC50"

04-22-2002, 04:42 PM
You are mistaken.

KC50

04-22-2002, 05:11 PM
sorry kc50 - i thought it was you at the time, and i thought you'd been "caught out" by the "your name" memory

no offence intended - my apologies