PDA

View Full Version : wasnt sure what to do here. what would you do

MattC
01-21-2005, 11:05 PM
the player betting on the turn is extremely loose passive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero folds, UTG calls.

River: (10.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Evan
01-21-2005, 11:08 PM
No degree of loose-passiveness would make me fold.

People overvaluing reads based on PT stats seems to be a new trend around here.

Entity
01-21-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm not folding this turn. It's very rare that I don't raise this turn, actually.

Rob

me454555
01-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Move down a level, that fold is awful. You've got an overpair on the turn and the board looks drawless outside of a flushdraw.

I'd pop him on the turn and check the river if I really trust my read.

craig r
01-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Another reason to raise here would be to protect your hand against UTG. If he has an ace (like AT) he needs to pay to catch it on the river.

craig

DemonDeac
01-22-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move down a level, that fold is awful. You've got an overpair on the turn and the board looks drawless outside of a flushdraw.

I'd pop him on the turn and check the river if I really trust my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

private joker
01-22-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.unifiedftheory.com/psychic.jpg

Welcome back, Cinnamon wind!

Seriously, this fold is horrific. Even if you're behind to some wacky 2 pair, you have the odds to draw and improve.

jonahmavesin
01-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Please keep playing 2/4. And tell me your screen name at Party.

(Better would be to drop down to .50/1.00 and go read Winning at Low Limit HoldEm by Lee Jones.)

StellarWind
01-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Hey guys, enough with the abuse. We all make bad plays once in a while.

Matt, you made a mistake by folding. There is a really good chance this very loose/passive player has made some lame-brain two pair. Fear not because you have eight outs to a set or queens up (check it). It's also quite possible he is betting some weak pair to prevent you from taking a free card with AK. Many loose/bad players do this on a regular basis.

Call the turn because you have ample pot odds to draw a card. Then call the river because the pot is too big. You cannot be sure enough that you are beat because you only have to win about 1/11 of the time for calling the river to pay off.

Raising the turn is a possible alternative. Since your read is that you are probably behind I wouldn't do it. Even many of the dimmer lights can read this board well enough to realize that two pair is practically the nuts versus a PFR. I don't want to be 3-bet because I have to call and that's a huge loss. I also don't want to pay for a raise and then face another bet on the river anyway.

The concern about UTG is misplaced. He probably doesn't have many outs and the ones he has won't matter if I'm chasing. The money it will cost him to overcall the turn should fairly compensate me for the small risk of a suckout. I don't want to put in a -EV raise just to try and push him out of the pot. In fact, it's very possible that he doesn't intend to call anyway.

Against a more aggressive player or one prone to weak turn bets I would definitely raise. This is strictly player-dependent and you must decide for yourself.