PDA

View Full Version : I'm techno stupid, help me buy cool stuff

SossMan
01-21-2005, 09:55 PM
My new job is buying me a laptop and a blackberry. I'm allowed to pick them out, and I'm pretty sure that $$ isn't a huge factor. What should I get? I know almost nothing about either, and I will be using them for sales type stuff.

eric5148
01-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm also techno-tarded. WTF is a blackberry?

scotnt73
01-21-2005, 11:54 PM
make sure the blackberry is the blue one that can be used as a cell phone as well

jennicide
01-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Soss,
I have an HP laptop. It works great and I would recommend it to anyone.

MarkL444
01-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I had a HP laptop, the support is crap. All outsourced. For that reason alone I will not buy from them.

DavidC
02-02-2005, 02:47 PM
I used to work as an HP printer tech support rep.

Their support absolutely rocks, as long as you get a north american call center.

They measure their support on two objectives: whether or not the problem was solved, and whether or not the customer was satisfied.

Time isn't a factor, unlike tech support work for other companies.

It concerns me to think that they may move away from that.

It was alright working for them.

--Dave.

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-02-2005, 02:54 PM
If you're going to be less mobile with your laptop and have it plugged in most of the time, you could get a really high-end one from a company like Alienware that basically takes a whole computer and shoves it into a laptop. The problem is, they're heavy and have short battery life.

If you're more mobile, get one of those neat slim ones that are like 3 pounds. I'm pretty sure Sony makes a bunch of those models.

Can't help you on Blackberrys, just get the most expensive one, I would think.

Sporky
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
for laptop i would just suggest figuring out what features you want. for instance:

traveling with it? might want to get a light/medium weight one
battery life - i always look into the smaller/mid size laptops so i can get a lot of use out of it without a recharge
screen size - desktop replacement? might want a larger screen if you'll use it for long periods of time

these are just a few things i would consider thinking about. once you've figured out what general requirements meet your needs the best, then you can start to look a little more specifically. i've always had great luck with dell laptops. never had any problems with them. i used a 600m for a long time in school and it held up well. sony is also a good laptop but usually pretty pricey. i generally like light (less than 5 lb) laptops with wireless networking integrated, a 14" screen for a nice sized keyboard and screen, and good battery life...but everyone is different. good luck.

LALDAAS
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also techno-tarded. WTF is a blackberry?

[/ QUOTE ]

My roomate has one it is a PDA. He has the phone one. The on going joke with the buddies, "Huston we have a problem" every time it rings.

And no it never gets old.

The thing is huge, but at the same time its kinda cool.