PDA

View Full Version : Scouting?

04-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Does anyone scout games before playing in them on a regular basis? I stop playing in a few $10-20 Hold'em games, at different poker sites, for several reasons. Now, I'm looking to find any game that I have discarded which now looks promising again.

I have kept all my databases from earlier plays. I'm just starting to update these to reflect the current state of the game.

I have mixed feelings about playing under a new username at these old poker sites. Any thoughts?

MS Sunshine

04-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Essentially making new user names to play under at the same sites and same limits is basically cheating. You don't have that advantage at a B&M - there's no reason you should have it on the internet.

That being said... I'd do it if I felt it would give me an EV advantage - and it would, since I've been playing the same limits on paradise for 4 months, and people do know my style, which I have taken pains recently to randomize. Unfortunetly Paradise, rightly IMO, does not allow new user names to be made under the same IP subnet.

04-18-2002, 08:52 PM
"Essentially making new user names to play under at the same sites and same limits is basically cheating. You don't have that advantage at a B&M - there's no reason you should have it on the internet."

It is rare to actually find naivete in any poker player, but in an internet poker player it is unheard of.

Deception is at the heart of all poker games. I would wear a dress and a hat, with fruit

on it, everyday if I thought I would earn an extra 1/4 bet an hour.

MS Sunshine

04-18-2002, 11:35 PM
i bet it would, Do it!!!LOL

3 2 1

04-19-2002, 01:06 AM
hey coz-

after a long night of drinking and; cards with some friends i bought one of their user names for twenty bucks (thats what he had in his account) as he had lost and swore of gambling forever (weve all been there). if you want to buy it from me you are more than welcome

hahaha

04-19-2002, 01:45 AM
kinda tongue-in-cheek statement from me. I'm fairly sure that if I borrowed a friend's ID and played where I'm playing now I would make more money for a while. As it is now I make "enough" - despite a helluva lot of people knowing me from 2+2. I'd rather have a paradise right-click note of "tough unpredicatable; don't F with" than make an extra 1/4th bet an hour - but then again, I play 1/2 /images/wink.gif

04-19-2002, 02:06 AM
"tough unpredicatable; don't F with, if wife is playing, otherwise check-raise and call down any further bets with at least a king."

Is the player note I'm trying to get away from.

MS Sunshine

04-22-2002, 04:02 PM
BTW -- PP 1/2 2/4 3/6 seem to be nice loose games right now that I'm having trouble exploiting. But if you're good, man o man there's some money in there for ya.

I've debated changing my screen name. As you know I'm realtively new to the game, so this is just a thought.

I work hard to develop an image. I also work hard to identify the people who can adjust their play to my image. For the most part my play is predicatable, so most decent players will pick up on my style.

Where I've made the most money is exploiting players who have monitored and adjusted to my play. And you can use these same players to take advantage of the other players on the table. I know who I can count on for a bet from the button for a check-raise and I know the message it sends to them -- and the two in between may not know and fold or call incorrectly.

Isn't this a much better situation than being an unknown? I figure it's worth a 1/2 BB per hour advantage than being an unknown. The hard part is figuring out who knows who you are -- but it's really not that hard.