PDA

View Full Version : Again.....no balls? How to not fear the worst?

boondockst
01-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I couldn't contain my excitement and overbet....do you just smoothcall when they bet like that on the flop? now it's obvious they were probably just fishing around, trying to take it down...i guess i feared the best drawing hands and hoped they'd chase...so figured maybe...A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif or Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

i live and die by the "bet pot" button but i guess i shouldn't have here....i mean if they called with AQ i guess i wouldn't have posted but...flame away

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($2.85)
CO ($47.10)
Button ($12.02)
SB ($2.82)
BB ($10.93)
UTG ($6.40)
UTG+1 ($6.40)
Hero ($8.68)
MP1 ($6.40)
MP2 ($9.89)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.55</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.45, Hero calls $0.45, MP1 calls $0.45.

Flop: ($2.25) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.95</font>, BB calls $0.95, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.05</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, BB folds.

theredpill
01-21-2005, 07:47 PM
wow that is a big raise. I'd probably raise to $3 here. He probably thought you had Q J or Q 8 or something. If someone has top pair top kicker, only a really good player folds to that $6 raise, though , in my opinion. He probably had A K . I'd only raise because of so many players in the hand. If it was just him and I, I'd call. If he has A K of spades, he is still getting 3 to 1...well....I guess he is getting almost the exact odds for his draw if he did have that hand.

amoeba
01-21-2005, 07:49 PM
I don't think its that bad. if they have AKs, I think they are calling your raise at this level.

if they have AKo, then you have to hope that they bet the turn again if you smoothcall.

there is another advantage to raising when you ahve the set. Sometimes it allows you to raise them off AK when they miss on later hands when you don't have the set. Or allows your semibluffs to have more folding equity later on when they have TPTK.

say on a later hand, they raise preflop with AK, some callers , you call with 87s.

flop comes Q 8 2 rainbow. bet from preflop raiser, you put him on AK and you raise as if you had a set and make them fold.

Still, at this level, pulling this latter move is dangerous.

boondockst
01-21-2005, 08:02 PM
are you giving the AK folder credit where it might not be due? Might the reverse be true? If i bluff the first time and he thinks 'set' or '2pair' might he call the next time, possibly upset his hand missed, recognizing he has outs, and thinking i'm bluffing with bottom pair or something? As you guys say, huge bets and preflop pushes sometimes stink of weakness....maybe he'll eventually call me later to see if i have the goods?

Wayfare
01-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone who beats you is obviously going to call, and there are very few hands you are ahead of that call here.

Bet the flop instead. Read the second part of my essay "Getting paid of huge..."

amoeba
01-21-2005, 09:13 PM
yes, it is risky. Its better done on a better player.

amoeba
01-21-2005, 09:15 PM
good point wayfare. I was only thinking about the amount that HERO raised. I somehow didn't consider the option of opening with a flop bet.