PDA

View Full Version : How vulnerable is this flop? Take down ASAP?

boondockst
01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
With two callers on the flop i figured someone had K10 or something and was worried about their kicker....probably giving too much credit...am i right to bet hard on the turn lest the board pair up or is that just playing scared?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($5.45)
CO ($19.15)
Button ($18.17)
SB ($10.65)
BB ($10)
UTG ($4.80)
UTG+1 ($8.05)
Hero ($7.58)
MP2 ($6.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.55) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.55</font>, MP2 calls $0.55, MP3 calls $0.55, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($2.20) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.2</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

amoeba
01-21-2005, 07:05 PM
I think the flop bet is good but I slow down on the turn.

I want to get paid off and if they hit their kicker, they hit their kicker. People at this level don't fold their trips anyways so just play the way that you think will get the most money in.

boondockst
01-21-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so just play the way that you think will get the most money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

great comment....thanks for not immediately berating b/c of how much YOU wou would bet on PP.....so what do they have if not a King (can't believe they'd fold a king) A busted AQ? pocket pair? had to hope one had hit their king...

soah
01-21-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop bet is good but I slow down on the turn.

I want to get paid off and if they hit their kicker, they hit their kicker. People at this level don't fold their trips anyways so just play the way that you think will get the most money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why slow down on the turn? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

amoeba
01-21-2005, 07:24 PM
well its not that big a deal but if I bet vs if I check, the money is going to be all in against another K anyways. so thats the same.

but on the off chance somebody thinks their 88 is good, I want them to possibly bet the turn for me, where as its pretty clear I have a K if I bet both streets.

also, due to the fact there is a flush draw, if it is checked through to the river and the flush completes, I might get somebody to call my value bet there.

Kaz The Original
01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Exactly how I would have played it.

StoneRose
01-21-2005, 09:04 PM
The problem with a big bet on the turn is that you look like you are trying to protect a good hand.

From your opponent's vantage point: If the Flop is K-K-4 and a player bets out, typically that player has a 4 and not a king. Your opponents think if they call you in this spot with Qs-Js that they might pick up a straight or flush draw or a higher pair -- that you will then check to them, and that they will take down the pot. They don't think you will bet again on the turn because they represented to you that they MIGHT have a king.

When you bet big on the Turn, they know you have something worth protecting, because you wouldn't make that bet into two players who might have a king unless you had something good.

So you should check on the turn. 1) Someone will think you have only a four and may bluff, or 2) someone will actually have a king and bet for you, or 3) someone will bet a flush or straight draw.

If it gets checked through to the river and you bet -- if they still don't have anything they never would have called on the turn anyway.

In the end I think checking on the turn in these situations is the best way to go.

jimymat
01-21-2005, 10:01 PM
It wouldnt have mattered if you bet .10, they didnt have anything. At that level of play people are not going to fold trip kings because of a kicker. I would have checked the turn and prayed for an ace.

Kaz The Original
01-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Here's the thing. If the guy has QJ and the turn is a Q, he's not going to bet when you check it to him. He's gonna play it super cool and check it too. So all you gain is a moderate river bet.

If your opponent called QJ and the turn was a 10, he's calling anyway. If it gave him a four flush, you know he's calling anyway. And if that punk ass has a king... you know he's gonna raise you like the mennonites do with the barns.

If he called the flop looking for a pair, and got one, he's gonna call you.

You have a great hand. Occasionally you will win large pots with these hands. The only way to do this is by betting.

BTW, you remebmer that guy that called your flop bet with nothing? Turned a gutshot and rivered his straight? Occasionally that gut plays in this hand too. This time though, he goes on that marathon and doesn't even get laid.

MarkL444
01-22-2005, 05:01 AM
vulnerable? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

vanHelsing
01-22-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
also, due to the fact there is a flush draw, if it is checked through to the river and the flush completes, I might get somebody to call my value bet there.

[/ QUOTE ]
at this level they usually don't fold a flushdraw to a pot bet.