PDA

View Full Version : Twilight of his Career

Toro
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Dan Duquette, look what Roger just signed for in the "twilight of his career"!

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
they overpaid.

Toro
01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that's not the point.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is... that he's in the twilight of his career? Or that he has one hell of an agent? Or that the Stros are foolish?

Lumpy
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clemens had no motivation in Boston at that time though. If he had stayed with the Sox he would have had a few more seasons with records hovering around the .500 range and his career would have ended. Going to Toronto gave him something to prove and lit a fire under his fat ass. The career he has had since leaving Boston is very impressive, but never would have happened if he had stayed.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that the Sox finally have won a WS, Red Sox fans can no longer bitch about:
1. Babe Ruth
2. The Curse
3. Buckner
4. Clemens

flame on!

Toro
01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Back when the Red Sox lost Roger through free agency to Toronto, Duquette basically let him go. His rationale at the time and this 8 years ago, was that Roger was in the "twilight of his career". Good call, Dan.

namknils
01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that the Sox finally have won a WS, Red Sox fans can no longer bitch about:
1. Babe Ruth
2. The Curse
3. Buckner
4. Clemens

flame on!

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clemens had no motivation in Boston at that time though. If he had stayed with the Sox he would have had a few more seasons with records hovering around the .500 range and his career would have ended. Going to Toronto gave him something to prove and lit a fire under his fat ass. The career he has had since leaving Boston is very impressive, but never would have happened if he had stayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he had tons of motivation with Toronto, where he raped the AL for two straight Cy Youngs.

DesertCat
01-21-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even. If it had been a multi-year deal, sure, but for one year it's a reasonable deal with low risk. He was one of the top five pitchers last year, and all for $5M (so you could argue he's owed part of this as back pay).

Of course, he's not at Randy Johnson's level, but he's not bad for an ol'feller (and healthier than Randy to boot).

Toro
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I've heard that argument a lot but Clemens had some nagging shoulder problems his last couple of years with Boston and was just starting to develope the split fingered fastball which became his out pitch. Also, he was the victim of a very poor relief staff, Heathcliff Slocum if I recall correctly.

I think if he stayed, he would have dominated as he did elsewhere. The guy is just too much of a competitor for me to think otherwise.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they overpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even. If it had been a multi-year deal, sure, but for one year it's a reasonable deal with low risk. He was one of the top five pitchers last year, and all for $5M (so you could argue he's owed part of this as back pay).

Of course, he's not at Randy Johnson's level, but he's not bad for an ol'feller (and healthier than Randy to boot).

[/ QUOTE ]

seeing as how Beltran, Kent, and Miller are all gone, and half their team is old as fuc[/b]k, I would say they wasted the money on an overpriced old man. They should have locked up Beltran.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Back when the Red Sox lost Roger through free agency to Toronto, Duquette basically let him go. His rationale at the time and this 8 years ago, was that Roger was in the "twilight of his career". Good call, Dan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I know and understand the history.

DesertCat
01-21-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They should have locked up Beltran.

[/ QUOTE ]

They tried. But that deal that beltran got was ridculous. They are better off without him at that price. I think the mets are going to be glad they got Beltran for about four years, and then they'll be hating that deal. Intelligently spending that beltran money of the next 7 years can produce more value for Houston than Beltran ever could.

Beltran's a very good player who's shown continual improvement. But while an above average defensive centerfielder, he's no cameron. Both hit well for centerfield, obviously Beltran better. But neither hits that well for a right fielder. So the mets replaced a position of strength and overpaid for the privilege, and now have a useful player (Cameron) that they are going to be forced to dump.

Beltran is possibly one of the greatest base stealers of all time. But his lucky post-season way over inflated his value.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 08:43 PM
good points, I just don't see the logic behind paying this much for one year. Houston looks to be setting themself up for a big fall either necxt year, or the one after that.

Gatts
01-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, your post would be relevant if Roger sucked in Boston.