PDA

View Full Version : How much do you tip the bag guy?

judgesmails
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
At many golf courses players are required to check their golf bag in at the bag drop before playing, and then pick them up from the bag drop before leaving.

At the course I play most often, Paiute, there are actually four different guys who you meet in this exchange: First at the bag drop outside the clubhouse, second to get your cart and bag to play, third to a guy who cleans your clubs after play, and fourth to the guy at the bag drop again outside the clubhouse. You do not have the option of handling these tasks yourself.

Am I supposed to tip all these guys? How much?

lapoker17
01-21-2005, 04:35 PM
1,1,1, and 5 to the club cleaning guy.

MEbenhoe
01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Starting another thread on tipping = -EV

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1,1,1, and 5 to the club cleaning guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
$2 total. And any extra fees come out of that. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

slickpoppa
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
It depends on the place. At the country club I caddied at the bag people were not tipped. But at many places the standard is at least $1 for anyone who touches your bag. The cleaning guy should probably get should get 5. And for futute reference, if you ever have a caddy, they should get 50-60 per bag.

judgesmails
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Are the tips pooled?

namknils
01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Wait a minute, your Judge Smails, why are you asking about tipping? I thought your standard tip was 50 cents?

Rick Diesel
01-21-2005, 05:07 PM
I think that at most places these guys share tips. Like many have said here before me, a good club cleaning is worth $5. I usually just give the last guy $10, and hope that they pool tips.

judgesmails
01-21-2005, 05:17 PM
You'll get nothing and like it!

namknils
01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll get nothing and like it!

[/ QUOTE ]

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edtost
01-21-2005, 06:28 PM
i was a caddy/bag attendant through high school; standard where i worked was $0-2 on the way in and $2-5 on the way out, with everything being pooled. caddys got $50-60+

offTopic
01-21-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At many golf courses players are required to check their golf bag in at the bag drop before playing, and then pick them up from the bag drop before leaving.

At the course I play most often, Paiute, there are actually four different guys who you meet in this exchange: First at the bag drop outside the clubhouse, second to get your cart and bag to play, third to a guy who cleans your clubs after play, and fourth to the guy at the bag drop again outside the clubhouse. You do not have the option of handling these tasks yourself.

Am I supposed to tip all these guys? How much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with $1 ea. and $5 for the cleaner-dude.

Paiute was OK, but go to Mesquite/St. George...more bang for the buck! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

judgesmails
01-21-2005, 07:57 PM
As a local resident, Paiute is very affordable. I will pay $70 to play this weekend. Most of the year the price is $40-50. Plus, the course conditions are always flawless.

While I have not played any of the Mesquite/St. George courses, considering travel time, course conditions and greens fees, I cannot believe I would find more bang for my buck out there.

offTopic
01-21-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a local resident,

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad - I failed to take this into consideration. The "locals" we played with when we went there were paying something like 1/3 of what the "tourist" rate was...carry on.

doughhater
01-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Try to take advantage of the special that Rio Secco is running for the month of January. $60 for locals. Phenomenal course.

Oh, and a 5 spot at the end of the round to the cleaning guy is about right. You can adjust up or down depending on the quality of service that they provide.