PDA

View Full Version : Top pair weak kicker in the bb

sillyarms
01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I come across this situation alot and was wondering how
you guys play it. I am curious as to wether or not you would bet the turn to block out the draws and pay the price when he has a better king. How would you play it if the turn had come a blank?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($100)
UTG ($59.1)
MP ($0)
CO ($325.4)
Button ($105.5)
SB ($59.3)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB (poster) folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($7) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.65</font>, UTG calls $6.65, Button folds.

Turn: ($20.30) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($20.30) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $25.30

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 6c Ks (three of a kind, kings).
MP doesn't show.
Outcome: Hero wins $25.30. </font>

thanks

silly

Kaz The Original
01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
When the turn comes I definitely bet considering he could have a random queen or two diamonds. I fold to a raise, and check / call a moderate bet on a blank river.

DoomSlice
01-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Seeing as how your hand strength has actually improved against mid-low pair, the only thing you should be fearing is a draw, which you should not give a free card.

jimdmcevoy
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree with Kaz here. One more reason to bet is if your opponent has a J or a 10, he becomes more confident when the king hits the turn, since now there is only two kings left in the deck to beat him.

sillyarms
01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
makes sense. But what do you do if the turn is the 2h.

silly

finnhand
01-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd bet the turn because there is so many cards that could hit and beat you on river if you are ahead now. When you bet i think he will let you know if you are beat, rare players bluff in this situation when board is that drawly and top card pairs.
Its lot more easier to play you hand correctly if you bet first here. I'd also bet turn if blank hits.

maldini
01-21-2005, 04:57 PM
i think this is a situation where knowing something about the player is critical. i personally look to get out of this hand. there are so many draws and potentially made hands out there. Even if you improve you could lose. if a 6 comes there is no guarantee that helps particularly if its a diamond. i vote check/fold the flop. i may take a stab on the turn when the K hits but i run from any aggression.

i used to lose a ton on free plays out of the blind on hands like this. there are so many better ways to win money that i would tend to avoid chasing this pot in this spot.

OTOH, I know nothing about party 6-max

finnhand
01-21-2005, 05:05 PM
i would also check this in a full ring table but in 6max game you have to be aggressive and do lot of betting (to win many small pots and bust out the loose players who are sick tired of your betting). Here you may very well have the best hand on flop and betting enough giving your opponent poor odds is not a bad idea, imho.

Kaz The Original
01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I remember a poster gave me the advice to play top pair no kicker like middle pair top kicker. On the 2h turn, I check and fold to any bet. On the river I may call a moderate bet if the 2s followed that 2h.

jimdmcevoy
01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
If the turn is a 2h or some other blank I check fold the turn.

Usually if the opponent is on a draw they will check behind, and you can play the river accordingly.

If they bet a moderate amount (about 2/3 of the pot or more) I would fold, as it is likely you are behind. If they bet less than this, you are in a tough spot, and you have to try and figure out if it's a value bet or bluff, very player dependent. Without a read I probably fold.