PDA

View Full Version : question about Ray Zee

kirisim
01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Did Ray Zee win enough in live games in the 80s and 90s that he could just retire comfortably? From reading this forum he seems to just play occasionally for fun. Is there a short bio of him available on the net anywhere?

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
heres a brief bio on Ray Zee

He lives in Montana and he writes about poker. he likes to fish.

that is all.

M2d
01-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Ray Zee doesn't actually play poker. He made his money when he invented the plastic safety wrapper that fits around unopened snapple bottles.
He does fish, as TSC pointed out. up in montana, where he lives, he started getting lonely when all of his buddies from the cabins down the lane started getting busted by the feds for illegal militias and the sort (Ray stayed out of that stuff, preferring to tie zug bugs).
Lonely and rich, he wandered into a backroom at a bar where a 2-4 holdem game was being played. There, he asked how to get into the game and was told to put all of his money on the table and they'd get changed for chips. being the non-poker-player that he was, he complied and proceeded to put 10 grand on the table (in tens and twenties).

Oz happened to be wandering through Helena that afternoon, having made the one mathematical error of his life when plotting out a course from the east coast to LA. Unfortunately, that navigational error led him north to Montana instead of south to Commerce.

As Oz walked into the bar, he noticed the Zee man picking up from the game with about 99 and a half racks. Oz figured that anyone who could take that many chips off of a table had to be world class, so he brought Ray down to LA and Vegas with him, touting him as the greatest to ever live.

From there, the legend of Ray Zee has grown. he still does well with residual checks from his invention, and he still sits in on games from time to time. If you look closely, though, you'll see that he never plays a hand, preferring to talk with his surrounding players. You'll also notice that he buys in at least five times, ensuring that he leaves the table with more chips than he started with.

ipp147
01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did Ray Zee win enough in live games in the 80s and 90s that he could just retire comfortably? From reading this forum he seems to just play occasionally for fun. Is there a short bio of him available on the net anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee is the pen name of Ben Affleck.

Dynasty
01-21-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ray Zee doesn't actually play poker. He made his money when he invented the plastic safety wrapper that fits around unopened snapple bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ray Zee is the pen name of Ben Affleck.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are two seriously weak-ass jokes to start this thread. Did the two of you even try?

theBruiser500
01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I agree with Dynasty.

theBruiser500
01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Dynasty is a cool alias btw.

stabn
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Get a room.

P.S. I agree.

daryn
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
alias?

theBruiser500
01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
screen name

kirisim
01-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, the responses were quite lame.

uuDevil
01-21-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the responses were quite lame.

[/ QUOTE ]
BreakEvenPlayer might do better, but I thought M2d's effort was pretty good.

The truth (http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Ray%20Zee) is a little less interesting, even with the unintended (?) humor:

[ QUOTE ]
Ray Zee was born and raised in New Jersey, and spent his college years in the East as well. Unlike other students, Ray did more than just study. He began to gamble on the side in school, and when he graduated he was ready to start his career, which just happened to be in the dessert [sic] of Nevada.

[/ QUOTE ]

theBruiser500
01-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Actually I think the truth is a lot more interesting.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]meh.

theBruiser500
01-21-2005, 09:36 PM
What do you mean "meh" TSC?

uuDevil
01-21-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it certainly would be if we heard it from Ray. That blurb is a little dry.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean "meh" TSC?

[/ QUOTE ]I edited what I said to "meh", what I originally said was mean, and I didn't like that I said it, sorry bro.

Mason Malmuth
01-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi Dynasty:

If you think these jokes are bad, have dinner with Ray Zee some night.

Best wishes,
Mason

theBruiser500
01-22-2005, 01:06 AM
"I edited what I said to "meh", what I originally said was mean, and I didn't like that I said it, sorry bro."

Okay, no problem, dawg.

Ulysses
01-22-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dynasty:

If you think these jokes are bad, have dinner with Ray Zee some night.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I had dinner with him last week and thought his Mason Malmuth jokes were pretty good.