PDA

View Full Version : Limit HE, whats the point?

Iamafish
01-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey, wuts up?

A few days ago, I started playing tournaments (never crossed my mind before). I only played a few but I began to enjoy the NL style. Bluffing was now a great possibility.

Yesterday I played a regular cash game NL, and made the most money I have ever made in a single day playing poker (I made more in a half hour than I would have in 3 hours play Limit).

Now. not only did I get good cards (at first I didnt, but I did great), but I also played well.

My question is then....what is the point of playing limit? Why do you play limit? Would you ever consider limit more profitable?

Thanks.

colgin
01-21-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I played a regular cash game NL, and made the most money I have ever made in a single day playing poker (I made more in a half hour than I would have in 3 hours play Limit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My question is then....what is the point of playing limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fun!

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. Plus, I like to make money.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever consider limit more profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it is much more profitable. But I am sure that NL is at least as profitable for a good NL player.

P.S. I also find NL cash games really boring. But many others do not, of course.

Octopus
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is then....what is the point of playing limit? Why do you play limit? Would you ever consider limit more profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. 1) To win money. 2) To win money. 3) Yes ... or no ... well, it depends. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is the point of your post?

MCS
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sneaky, tricking us with the implication that you're asking one question and then asking three /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For a lot of people, the answer to your third question is "yes," which answers your first two.

Iamafish
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Can you be a little more arrogant?

My point is that YOU can make MORE playing NL. So why play limit? Duh.

Colgin, how can you find a no limit game boring? That sounds pretty ignorant. Ive never played under so much pressure, and decesion making playing limit.

Niediam
01-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I find limit fun and very challenging. Plus it's probably better to master limit rather than no limit as no limit will probably die once again sometime after the poker boom ends.

Iamafish
01-21-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sneaky, tricking us with the implication that you're asking one question and then asking three /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For a lot of people, the answer to your third question is "yes," which answers your first two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then obvously, why?

If you play 3/6 lmit, you can only basically play good solid poker, bluffing could be done.

Playing 3/6 NL, you can win bigger pots, bluff a lot more, and easily get drawers to fold.

Also, NL limit was once dead? As in not as many fish or...??

sean c
01-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Ever hear of bankroll variance.

Iamafish
01-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Whats with all these [censored] comments?

The bankroll really doesnt matter. The bankroll has nothing to do with the question (I just find this interesting).

On pokerroom, the buyin limit for 1/2 NL is $100. People who want to move up and master there skills get there probably at around 300-400.

chesspain
01-21-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as arrogant as you seem to be.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you had one good session of NL and now you think you actually know enough to lecture long-time posters here...Duh

[ QUOTE ]
Colgin, how can you find a no limit game boring? That sounds pretty ignorant. Ive never played under so much pressure, and decesion making playing limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I find limit pretty boring also. Maybe Colgin and I can subscribe to your newsletter.

PITTM
01-21-2005, 03:45 PM
i can make 11bb/100 in the party NL games but i would rather play 3/6 and make 4bb/100. there are a million answers for your question. i like limit better because there are smaller swings for me, it is more fun for me and it is much more challenging for me. i feel so bored playing party nl, but limit requires a whole new set of strategies.

rj

Entity
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that event, I believe your point would be wrong. At the upper levels, there's more money to be made playing limit than no limit. I'm not quite sure where the middle ground falls, but I know that I can make quite a fair bit of money playing limit poker, and it's far less boring than NL at similar limits.

Rob

chief444
01-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Tuesday I found a $20 bill inside a doorway by an apartment on Main Street. I quit my job and decided to just walk by that apartment 9 or 10 times a day instead.

Niediam
01-21-2005, 03:48 PM
If I remember correctly (I only play a little NL), you want your bankroll to be twenty-five buyins.

chesspain
01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tuesday I found a $20 bill inside a doorway by an apartment on Main Street. I quit my job and decided to just walk by that apartment 9 or 10 times a day instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Entity
01-21-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply beautiful.

PITTM
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
bad players do better at NL than at limit in my opinion. having one good session, or a few good sessions or a hundred good sessions at NL doesnt make you good. certainly judging your ability on one session is a outrageously misleading way to do things. the amount of pressure involved in a game doesnt determine how profitable or fun it is for me. im here to make money and enjoy myself, limit provides the most of both for me, that is why i play limit, duh...

rj

colgin
01-21-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Colgin, how can you find a no limit game boring? That sounds pretty ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not being ignorant and I am not passing judgment on no limit. I personally find NL a bit boring but am not saying that you or anyone else should. It is really a matter of personal preference. Millions of people love American Idol. Go figure. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PITTM
01-21-2005, 03:55 PM
it seems like you just dont understand poker very well at all. the better game isnt the one where you can bluff the most, but where you make the most money off of other players, often this is most easily done at live, limit games.

rj

IndieMatty
01-21-2005, 03:55 PM
haha

uw_madtown
01-21-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Iamafish

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly.

Octopus
01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. You put a post on a limit hold'em board asking what the point of limit hold'em is. You give as your supporting evidence (that it has no point) the fact that you had ONE GOOD DAY. And then you call other people arrogant.

That is enough of this thread, I think.

edit: BTW, yes, I can. My first version of a reply to your inital post was much more ... arrogant.

private joker
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bad players do better at NL than at limit in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with this. NL makes it harder on bad players because they are routinely forced to make unprofitable calls. The swings are bigger, so when they luck out by chasing a 20:1 draw getting only 3:1 on their call, they think they rock at NL. But NL offers good players more opportunities to let their opponents make mistakes. Limit provides relatively fewer chances to protect your hand, and the mistakes bad players make won't be as costly.

That's Ed, I still love limit. I like making decisions on every street (as opposed to the majority of NL hands which are over on the flop), I like making plans for a hand (let's see, I should smooth-call this flop, check-raise the turn, and lead the river), and I like playing 18% of my hands as opposed to 8%. Limit is more fun for me, less acutely stressful (nothing's more heart-pounding than putting all your money at risk in one hand), and more profitable in the long run because I'm not very good at NL.

But to say bad players do better at NL is to misunderstand the fundamental concepts of the game.

7ontheline
01-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe you could say that bad players can do better at NL in one session? It takes a little while to both win or lose a bunch of money in limit unless you're super-lucky or playing like an idiotic maniac, but a couple of good hands at the right time in NL can make your whole session. Play for a month or so and the bad players will be broke.

flair1239
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are basing your conlusion off of (1) session. My first .5/1 session at LHE Pokerstars I won $75. Would it be correct for me to conlude that at any future session at pokerstars should have a simaliar result.

All that I will say is this: "Prepare to regress towards the mean. " If you don't know what I am saying play 20,000-30,000 more hands at NL, that might just begin to give you an idea.

chief444
01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could say that bad players can do better at NL in one session?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. And fortunately for us they occasionally run right to the computer to post about it.

PITTM
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
well in the long run i agree, but the poster seemed to be a very inexperienced player. it is much easier to make hundreds of dollars in an NL game if you dont know what youre doing vs limit if you dont know what youre doing at least for one session. that was more my point.

rj

cold_cash
01-21-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Maybe you could say that bad players can do better at NL in one session?

Yes. And fortunately for us they occasionally run right to the computer to post about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on fire!

sfer
01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Sucking out is fun.

Snoogins47
01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Colgin, how can you find a no limit game boring? That sounds pretty ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't possibly fathom how anybody can enjoy listening to 70s punk, and think that they're listening to some "so lowbrow that it's highbrow" artform.

To me these people are insane, not ignorant. There's a difference.

Iamafish
01-23-2005, 07:58 PM
First off, I wasnt trying to tell anyone there wrong or argue with anyone, so relax.

I also NEVER stated that it was my first no limit game, read my post, then read it again.

Obvously, some people take things a little to serously so, sorry for not mentioning EVERY detail.....

After reading an incredibly large amount of information on websites and learning from books and gaining experience, I have been profitably playing small stakes limit for quiet a while now.

After my game got pretty solid, I played a few NL games. I always did ok in NL, but I didnt really make more than in the limit games, and losing it all on one hand was nerve wrecking.

Recently, I have been playing in a lot of tournaments. I noticed how I had been doing very well in them. Obvously my game dramatically increased and I decided to make almost a complete switch into NL cash games.

And.....

YESTERDAY (1/20/05), I made the most money I have ever made playing poker (playing in NL). AH-HA!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
PITTM wrote: it seems like you just dont understand poker very well at all. the better game isnt the one where you can bluff the most, but where you make the most money off of other players, often this is most easily done at live, limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning in limit basically requires good, solid poker skills. In NL, you can add bluffing, giving incorrect pot odds, and more to win those pots.

It seems that you don't understand logic.

[ QUOTE ]
uw_madtown wrote: [ QUOTE ]
Iamafish

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, very clear.

[ QUOTE ]
Sophia wrote: I find NL extreeeeemely boring. Everyone just waiting around for monsters, and then every once in a blue moon you see a big pot. It really is a game of patience to me. Zzzzz.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its only true that at the higher NL (5/10 and up) people wait for monsters, but there are plenty of loose guys in there too. All the time I see guys walk in with $100 and bet all in with anything. 5-10 NL often has about $200 + pots. Do you even play NL?

So anyway, um, thanks for the info guys. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck everyone.

- THEfish /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

deadmunny
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Honestly?....... I enjoy the more thought processes and when I play stupid it is not as expensive

limitholdemshark
01-23-2005, 08:35 PM
nl is 4 2 types of players those who dont no how 2 play limit and those with deep pockets.just wait till u run into some neg.deviation.u will lose more in 5 min. than u would have in m3 hrs at limit hold-em

good luck

the limit shark

bisonbison
01-23-2005, 08:35 PM
this thread's pretty dumb.