PDA

View Full Version : Making money off of the tsunami disaster...

ddollevoet
01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Check this out. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63756&item=6146812 434&rd=1)

KungFuSandwich
01-21-2005, 11:33 AM
what a bastard. I hope he gets 12 STD's

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Check this out. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63756&item=6146812 434&rd=1)

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the big deal? 85% going to disaster relief. That's probably as much as the average charity.

Inthacup
01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Might as well make it a baker's dozen

PoBoy321
01-21-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check this out.

[/ QUOTE ] What's the big deal? 85% going to disaster relief. That's probably as much as the average charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but did you see the chip? It's lame as hell.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check this out.

[/ QUOTE ] What's the big deal? 85% going to disaster relief. That's probably as much as the average charity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but did you see the chip? It's lame as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I agree. I don't want some lame chip anymore than I want some lame cancer bracelet. But someone has to actually manufacture them and I don't see a reason why they shouldn't make something.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
whats the problem?

bwana devil
01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
the chip maker pockets $150. then donates $850 to the red cross. red cross in turn gives about 93% of that $850 to the relief fund.

why not just donate $1000 to the red cross and not give some chump $150 for no reason?

elwoodblues
01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Did anyone watch the Tsunami Relief benefit concert the other day? Anyone find it odd that they had Brian Wilson (a man who made his living singing about catching a wave) sing?

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the chip maker pockets $150. then donates $850 to the red cross. red cross in turn gives about 93% of that $850 to the relief fund.

why not just donate $1000 to the red cross and not give some chump $150 for no reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

if people want to donate directly to the red cross they should, but this guy taking a cut is no big deal. Those chips cost money to produce.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno...why not? I guess some people want the lame chip. That's why I would never give to United Way when my employer did its annual campaign. I'd much rather just give it directly to the charities than to the United Way, which takes a cut before giving it to them.

IndieMatty
01-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I laughed.

ddollevoet
01-21-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those chips cost money to produce.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much dooes it cost to put a label on a dice chip?

hmmm... a dime for the chip, a penny for the label, and 10 minutes of time to design the label. That sounds like about $150 to me.

I bet he spent more time drafting the ebay ad.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those chips cost money to produce.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much dooes it cost to put a label on a dice chip?
hmmm... a dime for the chip, a penny for the label, and 10 minutes of time to design the label. That sounds like about $150 to me. I bet he spent more time drafting the ebay ad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? He's helping people and making a little something for himself. Big deal.

TimM
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Most of that 15% is going to ebay and paypal fees anyway.

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
How can you people justify this? If the guy really cared then he would just offer up a link to the charity of his choice that donates 100% to the victims.

ps. I'm not outraged morally, I could care less if this guy profited or if you people approved. but from a logical standpoint, you have to admit this guy only cares about himself.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you people justify this? If the guy really cared then he would just offer up a link to the charity of his choice that donates 100% to the victims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy to justify. If you buy the thing you get some lame chip. Do the victims get something they didn't haver before like $850? Yes. Do Ebay & Paypal get paid? Yes. Does he get paid for the time and materials to make the chips? yes. Everybody wins. Nobody loses. I don't see any problem at all.

Skip Brutale
01-21-2005, 05:13 PM
If any of you would take the time to read it at all, 85% of profit goes to the red cross (supposedly).

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:14 PM
obviously my argument is based on the fact that the sellers's time and trouble does not cost him $150, and probably cost hims something well under $5. How do you justify his 3000% markup?

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
obviously my argument is based on the fact that the sellers's time and trouble does not cost him $150, and probably cost hims something well under $5. How do you justify his 3000% markup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Ebay & Paypal fees will cost more than $5. And your time is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I'd bet the tsunami victims that are getting $850 would gladly let him have $150 for getting them some much-needed funding.

Let's say he sells 10 of these things and sends them $8,500. I haven't given them $8,500 so unless you've given or found a way to get more than that for them, who are we to criticize?

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If any of you would take the time to read it at all, 85% of profit goes to the red cross (supposedly).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if your a nice guy and all, but I'm about to insult your intelligence.

YOU ARE A MORON.

85% of the bid will go towards charity, with the cost of a bid being $1000. therefore $850 will go to charity, leaving a $150 profit going directly to the bidder's pocket (minus the minor cost of producing this crappy chip)

Maybe he has noble intentions for this $150, but none of that is presented in his eBay ad.

If you havn't figured it out, I feel he does not deserve this $150.

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:24 PM
well the easy way to give them more than $8,500 is to give them the full $10,000 that he received., seriously, what does this person add to the process? He is just a fuking middleman taking a rediculous cut for no reason whatsoever. Anyone interested in donating would be much better off giving directly to the red cross.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if your a nice guy and all, but I'm about to insult your intelligence.

YOU ARE A MORON.

85% of the bid will go towards charity, with the cost of a bid being $1000. therefore $850 will go to charity, leaving a $150 profit going directly to the bidder's pocket (minus the minor cost of producing this crappy chip)

Maybe he has noble intentions for this $150, but none of that is presented in his eBay ad.

If you havn't figured it out, I feel he does not deserve this $150.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what his intentions are for the $150. If someone will pay him then he deserves it. If you don't want the chip, or don't want to give him the $150 then give your money straight to the Red Cross. But if you want the chip, buy it. Then everyone gets what they want. Everyone wins. That's how market forces work. If you can't understand that, then you're the moron.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well the easy way to give them more than $8,500 is to give them the full $10,000 that he received., seriously, what does this person add to the process? He is just a fuking middleman taking a rediculous cut for no reason whatsoever. Anyone interested in donating would be much better off giving directly to the red cross.

[/ QUOTE ]
The obvious answer is bnecause those 10 people wanted that lame-o chip. Otherwise, I'm sure they WILL give directly to the damn Red Cross.

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
ripping off morons $150 each for the chip is not justified under the intentions of charity. it is the morons fault for paying outrageously, but this guy is clearly capitalizing on these morons intentions for giving to charity in order to profit for himslef. Do you actualy think what this guy is doing is respectable, or are you just agruing over semantics for fun (I'll understand, i do it alot too)?

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ripping off morons $150 each for the chip is not justified under the intentions of charity. it is the morons fault for paying outrageously, but this guy is clearly capitalizing on these morons intentions for giving to charity in order to profit for himslef. Do you actualy think what this guy is doing is respectable, or are you just agruing over semantics for fun (I'll understand, i do it alot too)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not ripping them off (assuming they get what he promises them). I have absolutely no problem with it. Like I said, everyone wins.

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok, I guess obviousness doesn't apply to you.
(that was my snide answer)
(now for my olive branch answer
Ok, I guess we see this differently, I don't see any reason why the seller should benefit, you believe (I assume) that the seller's ad rounds up more donations than would normally be contributed to charity, therefore justifying his cut. Am I close?

bwana devil
01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
for curiosity's sake, lazy, i just checked the dude's other auctions and he's sold other designer chips for $1.75.

so he can sell them for a profit for less two bucks, but in the name of charity, he has to sell them for $150? sure. what a sleaze.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I guess obviousness doesn't apply to you.
(that was my snide answer)
(now for my olive branch answer
Ok, I guess we see this differently, I don't see any reason why the seller should benefit, you believe (I assume) that the seller's ad rounds up more donations than would normally be contributed to charity, therefore justifying his cut. Am I close?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually what I'm saying is that I think as long as he doesn't lie about it, he deserves whatever money someone will give him. If he sold the same chip and stated outright that he was keeping all the profits, and someone bought it I think it's fine. I can't imagine anyone would though.

Also, the people that run charities collect salaries. Some of them make very good money. Many even go to school majoring in non-profit management. Their salaries come out of donations. They run the charity to collect donations and get paid for it. How's this different? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the people that run charities collect salaries. Some of them make very good money. Many even go to school majoring in non-profit management. Their salaries come out of donations. They run the charity to collect donations and get paid for it. How's this different?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't. And I find them both disgusting. That's why I (like you) would never support the United Way. Now I'm pretty sure we are both arguing for no reason at all, as we both think the United Way sucks. agreed?