PDA

View Full Version : Having kings run into aces

04-15-2002, 11:16 AM
In poker there isnt a worse feeling than having pocket kings run into pocket aces...

I play a lot of 5 max HE on paradise and this happens maybe once a week if not more. Not always to me but ive seen it a lot!!! And it's always with the same style of flops...(ex. 223 or 335 or 446) My question is when to stop jamming with kings? How do you save bets when drawing so slim? If its a live game you can usaully tell when someone has aces-or atleast i can...but online it is much different. Im beginning to really slow down with kings online. Tell me what you think?

yours truely, 3 2 1

04-15-2002, 11:21 AM
If your opponent is a decent player and he is willing to cap it preflop then you have to put him on AA, KK, and possibly QQ, probably not AK. Postflop if he continues to bet fearlessly consider just calling all the way with KK, maybe mucking QQ.

I think worse that that run-in is having AA cracked headsup by a smaller pocket pair turning into a set, whether it's KK or 22.

04-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Well, KK when you think someone has AA is certainly an awful feeling. If you're playing heads up, or it's down to heads up, I think the right move is to check and call for two reasons (based on Advanced Holdem). First, if you does indeed have AA, you will lose less money. Secondly, if you doesn't (and has QQ or AK) you're likely to get bets you would not have gotten otherwise (i.e. he may fold if you come out betting).

04-15-2002, 09:54 PM
My experience at Paradise is that KK finds AA out there a little too often for what I'd expect. I think the better, more experienced players figure this into their play and back off when on the short end.

04-15-2002, 10:22 PM
LOL, actually I've seen it happen quite a few times and it's happened to me as well.

It's never happened to me in a live game.

04-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Never happened in a live game? How many times have you played once? I am sure it happens just as often in both cases over the long term.

For me it happens many times more often in live games, but thats because i play a different game where it is much more likely.

04-15-2002, 11:38 PM
I recently saw KK run into AA when the flop was AK2 and the turn another 2. Fortunately, I had the AA, but I really felt for the guy betting kings full.

04-17-2002, 12:46 AM
" I am sure it happens just as often in both cases over the long term."

This is impossible to easily prove. You no doubt hope it's true but that doesn't make it so.

" For me it happens many times more often in live games, but thats because i play a different game where it is much more likely."

This statement sounds like utter nonsense with only two possible paths for it to be true. In your Paradise game more folks might be mucking AA pre-flop. Not bloody likely. Or you could be playing with a bunch of seconds dealing, hold-out artists in you live game.